Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
This is turning out to be a very unconventional US election year!

1) The Democratic primary comes so close that it runs into July.
1b) The party is so divided that there are 2 nominees at the DNC
2) First black candidate of a major party
3) First female VP candidate for the Republicans
4) Oldest candidate to run for office
5) Republicans practically cancel their convention to focus on Gustav

This last point is a good strategic move on the part of McCain. The news coverage was going to focus on the "Hurricane of the Century" anyway. This way, McCain looks like a leader, an all around hands on good guy and he attaches himself to the hurricane coverage.

There was no way that the Republicans could top Obama's speech nor its attendance (85,000+!!). The feel goodness of the DNC with Kennedy's tear jerker and the Clintons' making up with Obama would also be hard to beat.

On the other hand, this could do wonders for McCain's likability and perception of readiness for office. It'll also get his name in the news.

I still think that Obama's extraordinary ability to bring in new young voters will flip traditionally safe GOP states into Blue in November and Obama will come out victorious. Despite what the early polls showed, I can see Obama winning by a landslide when all the new flip states are taken into consideration.

palin's non-aborted retarded son (or grandson) might do wonders for taking away the attention from mccain's divorce from his crippled first wife. come to think of it, did he cheat on her too?

^ McCain only picked Palin cuz he has the hawts for her :p
AP_Mccain_palin2w_29aug08_s_0.jpg

McCain's whole "Country First" motto seems a little risky to me. In an era where America is viewed with increasing contempt in much of the world, I'm not sure a manifest destiny-esque slogan is the way to go.

Still, it won't be the world voting and I can see why it would have traction in many quarters.

McCain's whole "Country First" motto seems a little risky to me. In an era where America is viewed with increasing contempt in much of the world, I'm not sure a manifest destiny-esque slogan is the way to go.
McCain doesn't have to impress the rest of the world, so the message works for many Americans.

I think many on the left are underestimating the McCain campaign. Hurricane Gustav was conveniently used to keep President Bush away from the convention, and now McCain can look presidential down on the coast. Meanwhile, Palin will draw in huge numbers of evangelicals.

I also think that most Canadians have no idea just how right religious the US population has become, especially amongst the voting population of white, middle class Americans.

^ True, but on the other hand, Obama is bringing completely new voters into the fold. Blacks and youth, some of which feel disenfranchised and are disinterested in politics are being inspired by Obama. I mean, just look at the huge youth following who are donating money to the campaign. Barack Obama's best ever use of the internet for a political campaign is mounting a formidable lineup of first time voters in favor of the Dems.

McCain doesn't have to impress the rest of the world, so the message works for many Americans.

I think many on the left are underestimating the McCain campaign. Hurricane Gustav was conveniently used to keep President Bush away from the convention, and now McCain can look presidential down on the coast. Meanwhile, Palin will draw in huge numbers of evangelicals.

I also think that most Canadians have no idea just how right religious the US population has become, especially amongst the voting population of white, middle class Americans.

Quite frankly, your last paragraph is the same thing I've been saying for years now. Canadians and Americans alike don't respect how different each nation is, despite obvious similarities. I've heard people make laughable statements that the US and Canada aren't really very different, but its beyond a subtle difference IMO.

Its not just white America, its particularly the plains and southern regions as well as the mountain west who are evangelical protestant. Catholics are less intensely Republican and for religion in government, not to say the religion is more "respectable" but the followers at this point in American history are certainly more into the separation of church/state.

But if catholics were the majority of American religion, that might be a different story. I don't know.

Gotta love the 'abstinence only' programs championed by Republicans!
Palin can still support 'abstinence only' if her kid got pregnant. Do we look down on the leader of MADD if her kid got drunk and drove? I should think not...instead the message is...look, this can happen to anyone, even those that preach the correct behaviour, so be careful.

^ True, but on the other hand, Obama is bringing completely new voters into the fold. Blacks and youth, some of which feel disenfranchised and are disinterested in politics are being inspired by Obama. I mean, just look at the huge youth following who are donating money to the campaign. Barack Obama's best ever use of the internet for a political campaign is mounting a formidable lineup of first time voters in favor of the Dems.
The question is though, how many of those folks will actually make it out to the polls on election day.

Blacks and youth may help Obama, but the US is not made up of Blacks and youth, but is vastly a While and old populated country.

I've heard people make laughable statements that the US and Canada aren't really very different, but its beyond a subtle difference IMO.

Yeah... me. The two countries similarities FAR outweigh any differences.

Thing is, i've actually lived in both countries and have some basis for making such a claim. You haven't - you're just talking out of your ass.

Palin can still support 'abstinence only' if her kid got pregnant. Do we look down on the leader of MADD if her kid got drunk and drove? I should think not...instead the message is...look, this can happen to anyone, even those that preach the correct behaviour, so be careful.

Wait! Is this coming from Beez?

I thought you were pretty adamant about parents setting proper examples of moral conduct. You have certainly judged members of selected minority communities in this city/country on the actions of a small segment of their children. How does Palin get off Scot-free?

Back