I thought that the whole pond would have natural stones at the bottom. Natural stones would have looked better than cast-in-place concrete with expansion cuts. Overall, the park is nice, but budget cutbacks yielded a less compelling result than Berczy Park or Sugar Beach.
I do not think that the plan was ever to have rocks all over the bottom. They are at the edges to discourage 'waders' or paddlers - having them all over would have made keeping the bottom of the pool much more difficult.

I do not think that the plan was ever to have rocks all over the bottom. They are at the edges to discourage 'waders' or paddlers - having them all over would have made keeping the bottom of the pool much more difficult.

It ended up looking utilitarian that way. In all honesty, I wouldn't have minded opaque water with a muddy bottom. Most ponds don't have crystal-clear water, yet they can be scenic nonetheless. Similarly, most ponds don't have what looks like parking lot pavement at the bottom.

• Sad
Reactions: DSC
There's actually a nice little string of more interesting and "designed" parks along the waterfront: From west to east you have the Music Garden, HTO, Love Park, Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Common. Perhaps the city could come up with a sort of wayfinding/park route thing that people could use to make a self-guided walking tour.

Granted, I would never say no to more parks; especially interesting themed ones like Love Park and the others.

Plus we will have ‘The Cats’ park off of Wellington Street West near The Well to enjoy in the not too distant future.

It ended up looking utilitarian that way. In all honesty, I wouldn't have minded opaque water with a muddy bottom. Most ponds don't have crystal-clear water, yet they can be scenic nonetheless. Similarly, most ponds don't have what looks like parking lot pavement at the bottom.

Devonian Pond is one such example. Honestly though I’d rather spend the money on granite pavers on the rest of the hard scape instead.

AoD

Devonian Pond is one such example. Honestly though I’d rather spend the money on granite pavers on the rest of the hard scape instead.

AoD

Then just give it a muddy bottom with opaque water like most ponds in nature. Let people skate on it as well. It feels like they overdesigned this pond beyond the scope of the budget.

Stone or interlocking paving should be the standard these days. Save the concrete for freeways.

I’m not saying the hanging heart is still part of the plan but Waterfront Toronto recently announced the opening on June 23rd using this render that includes it.

IMG_6692.png

Not sure what the cholorination level is for the pond or if there is UV filteration in the pump house. But if there is lower levels of cholorination and no UV filtration I imagine that the concrete will take on a bit of a green colour after algae sets in.

Personally I like the pond. But I also would’ve loved a pond with say water lilies and goldfish. A bit of natural right smack dab in the middle of urbanism.

Not sure what the cholorination level is for the pond or if there is UV filteration in the pump house. But if there is lower levels of cholorination and no UV filtration I imagine that the concrete will take on a bit of a green colour after algae sets in.

Personally I like the pond. But I also would’ve loved a pond with say water lilies and goldfish. A bit of natural right smack dab in the middle of urbanism.

Screener/biofilter + Ozone I believe.

AoD

There's actually a nice little string of more interesting and "designed" parks along the waterfront: From west to east you have the Music Garden, HTO, Love Park, Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Common. Perhaps the city could come up with a sort of wayfinding/park route thing that people could use to make a self-guided walking tour.

Granted, I would never say no to more parks; especially interesting themed ones like Love Park and the others.
Yes. Sugar Beach is great. Love Park will stand out. All by the waterfront tho. Checking out The Well recently & can’t help but envisioning more of a demand for an elevated park built sooner than later with that great looking mega development across the street. Not sure if any upcoming plans for smaller park? Rail Deck Park would have had shovels in ground by now. Whatever. Nevermind.
People call Toronto an *unfinished city because of all the condos under construction & also that big a** long medieval looking rail yard smack dab in the middle of downtown core. That needs attention from the city.
Some don’t mind it. I hate it. Still there decades later. Nothing built over it.

Actually no! Is there some sort of formal/informal process in the parks department to determine which parks get more TLC than others? This is a mystery that needs unraveling...
Though it may not be the whole reason, both St James and Berczy have quite active "Friends" groups who 'keep an eye' and organise events (including clean-ups).

Back