^And perhaps move the runway 100 metres to the south and perhaps extend it west into the lake where it won’t bother anyone and we can make it more useful! And a hotel .

Last edited:
^And perhaps move the runway 100 metres to the south and perhaps extend it west into the lake where it won’t bother anyone and we can make it more useful!
But who is it that would find this useful? As far as I know, Porter was the only airline that wanted this, and that was back when they still also owned the terminal. In the last few years, even before the pandemic, Porter gave up slots. If the airport (YTZ) is really so useful and in demand, I would think there would be other airlines eagerly taking their place, but apparently that has not happened.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-porter-airlines-toronto-island-airport-pay-damages/
... The dispute began in 2018, when Porter notified Nieuport it planned to stop using unprofitable slots beginning in 2020, a move that would save $12-million a year. Nieuport refused to agree, a decision it took after being unable to find another buyer for the slots, Porter alleged.
https://www.goodmans.ca/insights/ar...-airlines-v.-nieuport-aviation-trial-decision

Expanding the airport based on only theoretical or imaginary future users is probably not a wise move. It reminds me of that proposal to build a 20,000 seat arena in Markham when there was no pro sports team or concert promoter asking for it.

Last edited:
^Didn't they just announce 10 new routes, including one to Atlanta?!
I can't find anything about Porter now flying from Toronto to Atlanta. There was something recently about Porter to Winnipeg, and WestJet flying to Atlanta from Winnipeg. Porter's recently added new routes seem to involve their new Embraer E195-E2 jets they use at Pearson, not the Q400 turboprop planes they use for YTZ (and also YYZ).

Last edited:
Honestly, I’m sure there would be demand for longer distance services if they extended the runway; the limitation the runway length puts on operations is the biggest reason so few operators are viable there. With that said, I’m torn. I definitely get where the “no jets” folks are coming from, but also tend to agree that in the real world noise is noise, and modern jets aren’t necessarily a whole lot worse than props. On yet another hand, the longer the distances involved the more patience I have for aviation from a transportation perspective; frankly almost no one SHOULD be flying within the corridor, but we’re never going to go back to trains for mass transcontinental travel. The idea of affordable housing on the south side of the airport was something I actually came around to by thinking in terms of what it would take for me to make peace with an extended runway, but that’s not the same as deciding I definitely think it should be done….

at the end of the day I think we’ve probably reached the point with climate change and emission reduction that the best approach to YTZ expansion for the moment is to wait and see where electric, hydrogen and biofuel aviation is in another decade or two.

I can't find anything about Porter flying from Toronto to Atlanta. There was something recently about Porter to Winnipeg, and WestJet flying to Atlanta from Winnipeg. Porter's recently added new routes seem to involve their new Embraer E195-E2 jets they use at Pearson, not the Q400 turboprop planes they use for YTZ (and also YYZ).
Perhaps its the other airline coming to the Island

It may all be moot with the announcement of the new facilities, but I would rather the island airport be turned into a giant park. Toronto is short of destination parks, and given the prohibitive cost of mainland parcels and the lease of Ontario Place to Therme - I’d rather we had a huge park on the islands.

What makes something a destination park?
In my opinion - scale/size of the park, range of the facilities (gardens, open grassland, forest, playgrounds, sports facilities etc) and location - something that Toronto lacks in the downtown at present. Something that both tourists and locals will travel to especially.

Toronto Islands is too far from downtown, the new Portlands park may be considered a destination park.

In my opinion - scale/size of the park, range of the facilities (gardens, open grassland, forest, playgrounds, sports facilities etc) and location - something that Toronto lacks in the downtown at present. Something that both tourists and locals will travel to especially.

Toronto Islands is too far from downtown, the new Portlands park may be considered a destination park.
Also, the Toronto Islands already IS a destination park.

You'd be better off building another one somewhere else and covering more area

Back