News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Sorry for the off topic post, but I was just at Taste Of Lawrence and saw John Tory there. Doug Ford was apparently also there earlier. I guess Chow will show up next year.
I did see a posting of her at Salsa on St Clair. So many festivals, so little time--or so *much* time, as these festivals aren't single-day events. Hard to see her, as mayor-elect, *not* going to a festival in a ward that just elected her--so, patience (I'd hope)

Even if you could determine intent by physical action via AI (you really can’t right now), there’s the issue of “what is aggressive behaviour”? Rowdy drunkards, sports fans, playing kids would likely trigger systems. Even weapons detection itself (which is most of what AI is capable of at the moment) is gonna go berserk on Toronto Comicon or FanExpo weekends.
Any behavior has to be either criminal to engage the police, or a violation of the TTC's bylaws, which would engage transit security. Artificially deducing intent or assuming the presence of weapon is not currently legal grounds for enforcement action.

I did see a posting of her at Salsa on St Clair. So many festivals, so little time--or so *much* time, as these festivals aren't single-day events. Hard to see her, as mayor-elect, *not* going to a festival in a ward that just elected her--so, patience (I'd hope)

She did in fact show up earlier when I was at home! I checked her socials.

McKelvie warns of ‘difficult decisions’ ahead for Toronto on final day of mayoral duties​

https://www.cp24.com/news/mckelvie-...onto-on-final-day-of-mayoral-duties-1.6475423
The cuts recommended to the 2022 capital budget include the cancellation or permanent funding reduction to a range of city programs and services. The cancellations include $2.2 million in library renovations and expansions, $3.6 million less for the revitalization of shelter services on George Street, $78 million less for sidewalks, laneways and rehabilitation of major and local roads, $2 million in state of good repair funding for Toronto police, and nearly $1 million for heritage preservation.

The $188 million in deferred spending also touches a range of programs and services, most notably $64.4 million in various state of good repair projects, $27 million from Parks, Forestry and Recreation and $34 million in real estate management costs for projects like state of good repair work at Union Station.

*If this is the incorrect thread, please move to where ever it is more appropriate.

It will be very interesting to see who Olivia appoints as the Deputy Mayor (or Mayors) and the Committee Chairs. Not sure if we will see these changes before next week's Council meeting but either way it will be 'interesting' to watch the interactions.

It will be very interesting to see who Olivia appoints as the Deputy Mayor (or Mayors) and the Committee Chairs. Not sure if we will see these changes before next week's Council meeting but either way it will be 'interesting' to watch the interactions.
Anything less than morons like Stephen Holyday getting completely sidelined will be a disappointment in my eyes.

I’d love to see one of the new group of progressive POC councillors get the sash. A municipal government that better reflects a modern Toronto’s demographics would be awesome.

Make it a woman and I believe we’ve gotten into new territory in this country.

I’d love to see one of the new group of progressive POC councillors get the sash. A municipal government that better reflects a modern Toronto’s demographics would be awesome.

I'm far more concerned with substantive change, than symbolism.

There's something to be said for voters electing a woman either for the 1st time or the 1st time in a long while to a major office, and likewise a minority, those boxes are checked here.

I'd be much inclined to look at housing, libraries, parks and transit and see policy and budgetary actions that align w/my hopes for the city.

To that end, I might be more inclined to see the Mayor offer the DM job or key committee chairs to opponents, or the proverbial mushy middle, so as to ensure she has the ability to win votes at Council.

Who would be the least worst?

Probably Crawford but he may be leaving soon.

Nunziata and even Fletcher are well past their prime and have such off the wall ideas it makes it a risky proposition. Frances Nunziata was Mayor of York at one point which gives her credibility as DM however she is getting a bit quirky as time goes on.

To that end, I might be more inclined to see the Mayor offer the DM job or key committee chairs to opponents, or the proverbial mushy middle, so as to ensure she has the ability to win votes at Council.
So which of those opponents didn't cowtow to Tory or Ford before that? Most of them are feckless opportunists. Someone more centrist, fine. But not the likes of a Holyday or Nunziata.

We agree that this city needs substantive change, but that isn't going to happen entertaining those who promoted and supported ideas that got us where were are now.

We agree that this city needs substantive change, but that isn't going to happen entertaining those who promoted and supported ideas that got us where were are now.

See, that wasn't David Miller's strategy; the assumption was, appointing people as mayor allows you to sway their vote.

So you appoint people (who you can remove) whose votes you need to tip the balance. Feckless opportunists are perfect for that.

But also, yes, you do appoint some folks deserving of some extra profile or responsibility too, its a mix, depending on which files you wish to prioritize.

Miller's Executive:

1689174590103.png

Ashton - Mushy Middle
Carroll- Mushy Middle
De Baeremaeker - Mushy Middle (but big on cycling)
Fletcher - NDP (but Council's most pro-parking and anti-bike lane councillor whatever she says publicly notwithstanding)
Kelly - Right-Centre
Lindsay Luby - Conservative
Mammolitti - Feckless opportunist
McConnell NDP
Moscoe - NDP
Mihevc NDP
Rae NDP

Last edited:

Sandra Bussin was a deputy mayor about 20 years ago and Pam McConnell was one a decade ago - though neither was THE deputy mayor. (There is one 'statutory' Deputy Mayor and recently it has been practice to appoint a couple of others to better reflect the City - Tory appointed McKelvey as the Statutory one and in 2028-2022 term he appointed Holyday, Thompson and Bailão as the 'ceremonial ones'. . He was apparently too busy and did not appoint any of the 'non-statutory' ones after the 2022 election. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deputy_Mayor_of_Toronto

Back