News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

#3 I’d like to see Ontario follow the UK model and get rid of all stop signs. Make all intersections yields for all vehicular traffic. No one stops at four way stop signs anyway.
This is a big one. Four way stops impede the flow of naturally moving traffic, creating artificial jams. Yield/Give Way signage is much smarter for a residential intersection.

This is a big one. Four way stops impede the flow of naturally moving traffic, creating artificial jams. Yield/Give Way signage is much smarter for a residential intersection.
In residential intersections, along with four-way yields, a raised intersection would nudge motorists AND cyclists to slow down as they enter AND leave the intersection. Better for the pedestrians. If cyclists can handle their driveway ramps, they can handle a raised intersection.

Being in Montreal enough, and especially in the warmer weather, I think this article is a fair reflection of what appears to be a continuing trend.

An article from the Montreal Gazette:

I've had e-nough of irresponsible e-bike and e-scooter use

Montreal has long led North American cities in bike enthusiasm, but our bike paths are increasingly filled with electric contraptions driven by people with no experience.

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion...ugh-of-irresponsible-e-bike-and-e-scooter-use

Being in Montreal enough, and especially in the warmer weather, I think this article is a fair reflection of what appears to be a continuing trend.

An article from the Montreal Gazette:

I've had e-nough of irresponsible e-bike and e-scooter use

Montreal has long led North American cities in bike enthusiasm, but our bike paths are increasingly filled with electric contraptions driven by people with no experience.

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion...ugh-of-irresponsible-e-bike-and-e-scooter-use
Bet there were "irresponsible" horse owners back in the 19th century, as well. How about the "irresponsible" pedestrians who bump into people on sidewalks? Or the people who smoke inside, despite the signs not to?

I completely agree with your overall direction and obviously bikes aren't killing anybody on the streets like cars are, but I would like it if food delivery people didn't drive their e-bikes on the sidewalk. But I tend to think that people biking on the sidewalk is a failure of infrastructure rather than a failure of etiquette.

I completely agree with your overall direction and obviously bikes aren't killing anybody on the streets like cars are, but I would like it if food delivery people didn't drive their e-bikes on the sidewalk. But I tend to think that people biking on the sidewalk is a failure of infrastructure rather than a failure of etiquette.
When they are biking on the sidewalk next to a bike lane then it's definitely the latter. Not that lack of infrastructure is an excuse that I accept. I believe if you don't feel safe biking on the road, you probably shouldn't bike at all, at least downtown where the sidewalks have plenty of pedestrians.

Residential street roundabouts are also a good idea, especially where there is space like in car dependent suburbs. When I lived in NB I would see small roundabouts all over the place, especially in Fredericton and around CFB Gagetown. As a motorcyclist roundabouts are so much safer.

Though it looks like stupid people can ruin anything. Keep in mind that not all traffic circles are roundabouts.

Looks really nicely done actually. Although I’m shocked they didn’t add traffic lights to this intersection with the city’s recent penchant for putting them literally everywhere.

While they used a raised crossing, they used a stop sign. Which is ignored by most of the motorists anyways. If there is a raised crossing, use yield signs.

Looks really nicely done actually. Although I’m shocked they didn’t add traffic lights to this intersection with the city’s recent penchant for putting them literally everywhere.
New lights have actually been installed as of last week one street to the west of this intersection, at Wimbleton and Dundas, though in this particular case it's needed as it's in the middle of a long stretch of Dundas that doesn't have lights and asshole drivers treat it like a highway. The street also curves and dips through here, creating a blind spot, and there's a nice park that families and kids use a lot more these days, so there needs to be some kind of traffic calming measure. Added bonus is that the lights will also finally connect the residential neighbourhoods north and south of Dundas, which until now had been impassable for non-drivers..

Last edited:
The redesign of the Dundas and The Kingsway intersection

I also want to add that while I'm glad overall about this redesign, I feel that The Kingsway still unnecessarily veers too far to the west. Had they straightened it even more in an easterly direction (they had room to work with where the slip lane used to be), they could have freed up a significant amount of extra space that could have been directly attached to Humbertown Park, which could have allowed for additional programming of the enlarged park space. Opportunity wasted. Not sure why that wasn't obvious to the engineers when a layman like myself can easily spot it.

That new cycle track is phenomenal - all FIFTY METERS of it!
As a follow up thought to this joke of a stub of cycle track that does not even remotely connect to any other cycling infrastructure, I wonder if there's any plan by the city to create bike lanes along Dundas at some point. They're badly needed, as someone who endures the torment on a daily basis as a commuter...

Back