8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

enter username

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm making this thread to share a map + database of missing curb cuts in Toronto and effective strategies to correct them. So far I've tried 311 and paver stones, but neither have been very effective, and would like input on other ideas like quick setting cement before going ahead.

The background is there's a lot of trails and walkways that have 10 cm+ curb drop-offs where they meet roads - annoying barriers to cycling and wheeling in general. In the cycle infrastructure thread, it was thought this might be liability or bureaucracy related and a few ideas were floated around for how to fix them. I found 2000 examples of these barriers on google maps, and gave a score based on 10 variables I thought may be used to argue for or against allowing a curb cut (such as road class, nearby curb cuts, proximity to intersections, etc). None of these variables seem to be a deal breaker individually, as I found examples of existing curb cuts in every situation.

1693595480914.png

Early July I submitted 311 "Adjust curb height" request 03222854 for a highly ranked spot on Fairfax Cres that now has a bike share, but 2 months later no word or progress.

My second strategy was to place $2 pavers from home depot to create a mountable step in 4 different areas (1,2,3,4) but only 1 remained after 2 weeks. This strategy may have a role in less trafficked areas, and got a passing friend review, but is too easy to remove.

1693598445568.jpeg

Having no counsellor in ward 20 to complain to, my next idea is to use some $12 quick setting cement one early morning to make a 15 cm wide 45 degree mounting ramp. I can foresee this may cause plowing or drainage issues on busy streets, but have seen it done in an official context in low income areas like Craighton Dr at Rannock St (covered in snow on street view).

Anyone can feel free to use the database or map for whatever, and I look forward to reading any ideas posted... otherwise I'll report back in a few weeks after I give cement a go at the end of Leahurst Dr

1693598710233.png

I'm making this thread to share a map + database of missing curb cuts in Toronto and effective strategies to correct them. So far I've tried 311 and paver stones, but neither have been very effective, and would like input on other ideas like quick setting cement before going ahead.

The background is there's a lot of trails and walkways that have 10 cm+ curb drop-offs where they meet roads - annoying barriers to cycling and wheeling in general. In the cycle infrastructure thread, it was thought this might be liability or bureaucracy related and a few ideas were floated around for how to fix them. I found 2000 examples of these barriers on google maps, and gave a score based on 10 variables I thought may be used to argue for or against allowing a curb cut (such as road class, nearby curb cuts, proximity to intersections, etc). None of these variables seem to be a deal breaker individually, as I found examples of existing curb cuts in every situation.

View attachment 503763

Early July I submitted 311 "Adjust curb height" request 03222854 for a highly ranked spot on Fairfax Cres that now has a bike share, but 2 months later no word or progress.

My second strategy was to place $2 pavers from home depot to create a mountable step in 4 different areas (1,2,3,4) but only 1 remained after 2 weeks. This strategy may have a role in less trafficked areas, and got a passing friend review, but is too easy to remove.

View attachment 503778

Having no counsellor in ward 20 to complain to, my next idea is to use some $12 quick setting cement one early morning to make a 15 cm wide 45 degree mounting ramp. I can foresee this may cause plowing or drainage issues on busy streets, but have seen it done in an official context in low income areas like Craighton Dr at Rannock St (covered in snow on street view).

Anyone can feel free to use the database or map for whatever, and I look forward to reading any ideas posted... otherwise I'll report back in a few weeks after I give cement a go at the end of Leahurst Dr

View attachment 503783
Some locations look like non-starters - e.g. the ones on Wellington @ Berczy Park as the City does not encourage cycling in smaller parks like Berczy and it is really not hard to use Scott St if using a wheelchair. I recently reported a possible opportunity for one between Stadium Road and Stadium Road Park Trail but was told that Transportation does not like curb cuts in mid-block as it affects snow clearing. Putting pavers or building ramps from cement is really not a good idea as it affects road sweeping and drainage and if not done properly is dangerous. Your database is certainly interesting and clearly LOTS of work

1693601704395.png

As a guerilla measure, can I suggest you dab some construction adhesive on the back and on the roadway.

I'm genuinely curious, in what way would a mid-block curb cut affect snow clearing?

They're not supposed to leave a snowbank over a curb cut, so now you need to remove the snowbank at the curb cut, it means redrawing the work map. (yes, we all know, in the real world, the snow gets left over curb cuts a lot)

Reactions: DSC
...or go with raised sidewalks or cycling paths at roadways. That forces motorists to slow down at the crossings.

They're not supposed to leave a snowbank over a curb cut, so now you need to remove the snowbank at the curb cut, it means redrawing the work map. (yes, we all know, in the real world, the snow gets left over curb cuts a lot)
Surely a curb cut that has a snow bank over it for part of the year is better than a curb that is inaccessible 100% of the year?

Surely a curb cut that has a snow bank over it for part of the year is better than a curb that is inaccessible 100% of the year?

Sure, I wouldn't argue otherwise. I was merely explaining why the City would not be crazy about it.

The City has no policy allowance for selectively not removing snow from curb cuts, so for now, its all-in or all-out.

Now I'm certainly content to consider a change in policy. I suspect, however, staff would argue that if they leave snow on that curb cut, there will be complaints, and they will end up removing it anyway.

Some locations look like non-starters - e.g. the ones on Wellington @ Berczy Park as the City does not encourage cycling in smaller parks like Berczy and it is really not hard to use Scott St if using a wheelchair. I recently reported a possible opportunity for one between Stadium Road and Stadium Road Park Trail but was told that Transportation does not like curb cuts in mid-block as it affects snow clearing. Putting pavers or building ramps from cement is really not a good idea as it affects road sweeping and drainage and if not done properly is dangerous. Your database is certainly interesting and clearly LOTS of work
Does the city encourage cycling in any park that doesn't have bike lanes or interior roads?

Sure, I wouldn't argue otherwise. I was merely explaining why the City would not be crazy about it.

The City has no policy allowance for selectively not removing snow from curb cuts, so for now, its all-in or all-out.

Now I'm certainly content to consider a change in policy. I suspect, however, staff would argue that if they leave snow on that curb cut, there will be complaints, and they will end up removing it anyway.
In Toronto, sidewalks are cleared of snow LAST. The expressways get first dibs at 2 cm of snow. Snow windrows at street corners, transit stops, and crosswalks are only done after the single-occupant automobile get their way.
1693689098815.png
1693689107279.png

In Sweden, highways are LAST. From link, dated 2018.

...many Swedish cities, including Stockholm, prioritize snow clearance very differently. They now clear walkways and bike paths first, especially those near bus stops and primary schools. Next, they clear local roads, and then, finally, highways.

The City wants people to walk or bike or roll a few yards to River and cross there. Putting in curb cuts encourages use and this would NOT be a good place. - particularly for those who actually NEED a curb-cut!
The city has painted a crosswalk on the pavement, so that explanation seems unlikely to me.

Another egregious one at Bloor and Parliament may offer a clue:
Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 7.06.53 PM.png

In this case, I recall reading that the city is not able to easily cut the curb because the sidewalk is part of the structure of the bridge. Might be a similar issue at King and Queen.

Edit: found the source I was thinking of:
Rob Burlie, who’s in charge of road operations in that area, emailed to say it might not be as simple as cutting down the curb. “It would appear to me that the structural sidewalk for the bridge would need to be modified and not just a simple retrofit to meet the latest (accessibility) standards. We may have to consult with our bridge unit. In some cases we can place temporary asphalt in the roadway, but this causes other issues such as drainage, plow damage etc.”

Last edited:
The city has painted a crosswalk on the pavement, so that explanation seems unlikely to me.

Another egregious one at Bloor and Parliament may offer a clue:
View attachment 504099

In this case, I recall reading that the city is not able to easily cut the curb because the sidewalk is part of the structure of the bridge. Might be a similar issue at King and Queen.

Edit: found the source I was thinking of:
I do not think there is a proper striped painted crosswalk at King and Queen. A stop line, yes but ...

Back