Honestly with the IO update not even having solid dates attached to the LRT procurement and it being listed only in "future projects".. it's not a good sign.

Honestly with the IO update not even having solid dates attached to the LRT procurement and it being listed only in "future projects".. it's not a good sign.
The IO updates are usually built over the prior weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2-4 weeks out of date. It honestly feels like Hamilton LRT has ramped up in the last 4 weeks with renders, and project office both coming early 2024 (Jan/Feb)

@Chris R. it is my understanding that the office on King at The Connaught is not a project office. It's a community engagement office. The actual Metrolinx project office has been up and running for around 6 months already, and is located at 21 King Street West (CIBC building).

A reminder that there is a meeting next week. I'll be tuning in on youtube. I'm sure they're going to reveal quite a bit this time.

Light Rail Transit Sub-committee​

Monday, December 11, 2023 @ 9:30 AM
Council Chambers

Last edited:
@Chris R. it is my understanding that the office on King at The Connaught is not a project office. It's a community engagement office. The actual Metrolinx project office has been up and running for around 6 months already, and is located at 21 King Street West (CIBC building).

A reminder that there is a meeting next week. I'll be tuning in on youtube. I'm sure they're going to reveal quite a bit this time.

Light Rail Transit Sub-committee​

Monday, December 11, 2023 @ 9:30 AM
Council Chambers
This is what I meant, project community office. A place for the public or business owners to meet someone in person about the project. Basically a stagnant place for those pop-up tables.

The good news I think is that this project has much more incommon with Finch than any other (except maybe KW LRT) and that project is going very well. Tender for the actual LRT construction package has been rumored for Jan/Feb for a while. So 2025 for construction start, especially when considering the utility works in 2024 are not minor works, is not that long a wait.

I'm more interested to see that there are no specific cancon requirements for the LRVs, might open the competition to more than just Alstom and uh... Alstom.

The good news I think is that this project has much more incommon with Finch than any other (except maybe KW LRT) and that project is going very well. Tender for the actual LRT construction package has been rumored for Jan/Feb for a while. So 2025 for construction start, especially when considering the utility works in 2024 are not minor works, is not that long a wait.

I'm more interested to see that there are no specific cancon requirements for the LRVs, might open the competition to more than just Alstom and uh... Alstom.
So that was your question! I'd love to see some non-alstom trains. I do think Alstom is better than Bombardier was at building trains (I know they're merged now) but they still struggle with the details. Having something from an Asian company would be amazing.

I do think Alstom is better than Bombardier was at building trains (I know they're merged now) but they still struggle with the details.

A curious statement given that the TTC's Bombardier Flexity Outlooks and Waterloo Region's Flexity Freedoms have both run several years now with minimal issues, while Ottawa's Alstom Citadis vehicles are endlessly floundering. The Flexities had their teething problems, sure, but they were relatively quickly sorted.

A curious statement given that the TTC's Bombardier Flexity Outlooks and Waterloo Region's Flexity Freedoms have both run several years now with minimal issues, while Ottawa's Alstom Citadis vehicles are endlessly floundering. The Flexities had their teething problems, sure, but they were relatively quickly sorted.
Hence the mention of the details. Alstom trains have a better design, and I think have a better interior usability, but they struggle on the important details.

Therefore it would be nice to see alternative options from other manufacturers.

“Major LRT construction will not happen next year as once hoped — and the city’s schedule to rebuild Main Street is raising more questions about when shovels will actually hit the ground for the oft-delayed light-rail project.”

Smh..

Again, I would actually argue that this is less about fast transit and more about city building. Metrolinx/Gov of Ontario are pretty clear that the main point of these LRT projects are to spur development and replace aging infrastructure. It's not a rapid transit system like a subway, think of it more analogous to a tram line in a medium sized european city.

Again, the B-Line LRT plan was a result of the RAPID READY study, which was done to find a RAPID TRANSIT solution for Hamilton.

You can’t just keep repeating this new “it was never about rapid transit” narrative hoping it sticks.

This was always about Rapid Transit, with infrastructure upgrades as a side bonus to win over suburban voters.

Either way, there’s nothing rapid about 17 years of talk, a dozen different renders, and countless delays with zero action.

This whole fiasco is going to be used as a wedge issue in the next election. This city is obsessed with this political football.

Hopefully it means there will be more bidders on the rolling stock which will bring down the price. The Quebec City tram had 2 and then only 1 bidder (Alstom and Siemens, then just Alstom) and the price was astronomical.

Hopefully it means there will be more bidders on the rolling stock which will bring down the price. The Quebec City tram had 2 and then only 1 bidder (Alstom and Siemens, then just Alstom) and the price was astronomical.
Well in Quebec's case, we all know how much they love protecting their precious companies (in this case former company). Let's not forget Alstom has a plant in La Pocatière that they inherited from Bombardier which, i'm sure the QC government was angling to utilize.

I saw @Reecemartin video about that and really hope Hamilton doesn't run into a similar situation. Transit is so damn expensive in North America and it's in large part a result of protectionist regulations (which I am in part in favour of in certain circumstances) and also the lack of transit manufacturers available in North America, in part, likely again because of those protectionist regulations.

Back