News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who's going to be the next Liberal leader?

• Michael Ignatieff

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Gerard Kennedy

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • John Manley

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Frank McKenna

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Bob Rae

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Justin Trudeau

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Care to elaborate?

And where would you call for differentiation from the Conservatives on 'economy'? As it is, the Liberals and Conservatives are nigh on indistinguishable on this front.

Care to elaborate?

And where would you call for differentiation from the Conservatives on 'economy'? As it is, the Liberals and Conservatives are nigh on indistinguishable on this front.

Tax structures, stance on subsidies to industry, commercial regulation, etc.

I'd argue that the Liberals are already superior on that front, where gaps exist. Do you mean more subsidies/regulation or something?

I'd argue that the Liberals are already superior on that front, where gaps exist. Do you mean more subsidies/regulation or something?

I'd argue that's where they can differentiate themselves.... For example, come out in favour of subsidies to auto makers and the aerospace sector, etc.

Oh, I seriously hope not!

Why not? We are arguably one of the few countries that loves to rip on our national champions. You don't see France ripping on Airbus, Germany ripping on VW or BMW do you. Or the US on Boeing. In fact, those governments give out fat R&D contracts and lots of hidden subsidies. I'd like to see Canada try and level the playing at least a little. At minimum, at industrial strategy that recognizes key strategic sectors and expresses a desire to protect them with a plan to back that up....

keithz says everything and anything to be confrontational, so I wouldn't read much into it. ;)

I hate to rain on everyone's Gerard Kennedy campaign, but it just won't happen! It's precisely Gerard Kennedy's fault that Dion was elected liberal leader in the first place, and if Dion lead them into disaster then that reflects on Kennedy within the party.

Absolutely correct. Kennedy's political judgment has to be questioned. Plus, he's just not that exciting; he's a surprisingly dull speaker.

McKenna? Manley? Cut from the same cloth - "blue" Liberals with zero charisma.

Ignatieff? Previous support for Iraq war will continue to weigh him down among the Lib rank and file. Worse, he comes off as aloof and won't connect with average Canadians.

That leaves Rae. I'm no Liberal supporter and would never vote for him, but he's the smart choice for Liberals right now. During the last leadership race, he was held back by his recent conversion from Dipperdom, but time has moved on, he's been elected to the House and, I think, proved his bona fides.

He's a very skilled, seasoned, battled-hardened politician and I'd be shocked if he wasn't leader a year from now.

He's a very skilled, seasoned, battled-hardened politician and I'd be shocked if he wasn't leader a year from now.

But he was an NDP Premier that tossed a Liberal out of office. Some Liberal in Ontario organizers have long memories and may not feel motivated to support Rae for that reason.

he was premier during dark economic times and did some things some people didn't like such as... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rae_days

i don't think it would help the liberal party to make him leader. people will always associate him with his past.

About Rae's baggage:

1. People have short memories and 1990-95 is ancient history in political terms.

2. While a few older Ontarians may hold his unfortunate term as premier against him, two-thirds of the country had no direct experience with Rae Days, which in any case can be defended as a sincere, if misguided, attempt to grapple with a recession.

3. Rae is now mostly backed by the remnants of the Chretien machine, who know a thing or two about getting and keeping power. The Liberal Party is ready to turn to them again.

I'm not a Bob Rae fan. I was sympathetic to him as premier, but dealt with him since (particuarly Rae Review) and I was not impressed. However, you are for the most part correct. A Rae comeback as Liberal leader would not be unprecedented as far as Canadian comebacks go.

About Rae's baggage:

1. People have short memories and 1990-95 is ancient history in political terms.

2. While a few older Ontarians may hold his unfortunate term as premier against him, two-thirds of the country had no direct experience with Rae Days, which in any case can be defended as a sincere, if misguided, attempt to grapple with a recession.

3. Rae is now mostly backed by the remnants of the Chretien machine, who know a thing or two about getting and keeping power. The Liberal Party is ready to turn to them again.

short memories won't make a difference. what will happen is that ontario's 90's economy will be associated with rae by his political opponents. it really doesn't matter if alot of voters can't remember those days, they will be reminded by others.

short memories won't make a difference. what will happen is that ontario's 90's economy will be associated with rae by his political opponents. it really doesn't matter if alot of voters can't remember those days, they will be reminded by others.

Exactly. It'll make good material for a CPC ad campaign.

And those outside of Ontario will be quickly "educated" on Rae and the economy.

I can't see him being a viable candidate when the economy is the number 1 issue, and I like the guy....

Back