News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

No one was able to answer this question before but any idea how big the AGO is now after the expansion?

The lineup on Saturday just after 11am looked grim, extending down McCaul to the OCAD entrance, but it actually moved quite quickly. I would guess we were inside within half an hour. However, it was really too crowded to do any "art appreciation" but a good opportunity to wander around and get a feeling for the building itself, which was as impressive as advertised. Galleria Italia was my favourite.

I was surprised that I saw very few security staff inside, even as people were touching the artworks and in one case, almost tripping over a lower barrier into a sculpture. The security outside were in good moods and pretty cheerful despite the crowds. Maybe they'd just come on shift.

I saw a few people taking photos with abandon, which irritated me a little because I'd followed the rules and left my camera at home. Still, I can see from the gallery's perspective that having everyone clicking cameras could be dangerous, what with everyone obstructing each other's photos, walking around looking through camera lenses instead of where they were going, backing up into artworks while posing to get in the frame, etc.

Thanks for the update Wyliepoon. My only gripe right now are those bare concrete columns at the entrance. They look absolutely terrible!

I cant disagree with you more, i really fancy those columns! not sure what people have against concrete here....

No one was able to answer this question before but any idea how big the AGO is now after the expansion?

Builder EllisDon's website says 190,000 square feet of renovated space and 97,000 square feet of newly built space. They also say, however, "The overall gallery space will increase by 40% to a total of 123,500 square feet." I have also seen the figure of "47%" many times in regard to the expanded display space for art.

I get the feeling that it is pretty difficult to measure now much display space a gallery has. Does one count the square footage of the walls that the art hangs on as opposed to the floor space? Or do you count the linear feet of wall? What about floor space in regards to sculpture then? Just count the space sitting underneath plinths or cases? What about for spaces like Galleria Italia where the south wall and the floor are being used to display the sculpture? Use cubic feet maybe? Nobody seems to be quoting that number.

Years ago the AGO was called 'the 8th largest art museum in North America'. Since then others would have been expanded and we would have lost a few spots. Obviously we've leap-frogged a few again. Nobody seems to be saying what place we're in now though. Maybe everyone's having trouble calculating just how big they are.

Thanks!

Yea I looked online quite a bit to get a general idea of the other art museums in NA but didn't have much luck.

a few shots from my visit on Sunday ~ :)

crowd - a - moly

IMG_2681.jpg

Gallerie Italia

IMG_2692.jpg

Most recently I've heard that the AGO is 7th in North America. I have no idea where that source is from as it would be interesting to see where other galleries are falling.

Most recently I've heard that the AGO is 7th in North America. I have no idea where that source is from as it would be interesting to see where other galleries are falling.

That's before or after the expansion? I vaguely recall someone mentioning it would be the largest after the expansion but that's hard to believe.

Must be this past week of getting caught up in the AGO rapture, but I glimpsed on a TV screen today someone who in passing reminded me somewhat of Frank Gehry. Turned out to be Russell Oliver

www.worldarchitecturenews.com

Exclusive images document a remarkable new chapter in AGO’s 108-year history

“We’re not just opening doors, we’re opening mindsâ€. It is with this forward thinking slogan that the Art Gallery of Ontario opened its doors after a remarkable transformation penned by Toronto- born Frank Gehry.

Launched in 2002, the transformation programme has included the major architectural extension by Gehry and the expansion of the permanent collection. As a consequence, the new AGO offers a 47 per cent increase in art viewing space welcoming visitors to 110 light-filled galleries featuring more than 4,000 new and perennial art works.

The building is surprisingly Gehry’s first commission in his native city and contains an interesting array of signature elements such as an iconic sculptural staircase emerging from Walker Court (the historic centre of the AGO), the sweeping glass-and-wood Galleria Italia extending an entire city block along Dundas Street, and the new contemporary tower with its vistas of Grange Park and of a Toronto Skyline never seen from this angle.

With this new museum extension, Frank Gehry has devised an unforgettable space to honour the art housed within. Attention to the core issue of the pleasure of art viewing is palpable throughout thanks to the amount of natural light and transparency that permeate the extension.

Happy to define his recent creation as “a real Frank Gehry buildingâ€, the architect nonetheless commented on the hard nature of remodelling an existing structure, as the gallery has since its opening in 1900 seen many extension with the latest designed by Barton Myers in 1993.

Laura Salmi
Reporter

10655_6_om11BIG.jpg

10655_3_om4BIG.jpg

10655_5_om7BIG.jpg

10655_bisbisom1MAIN.jpg

10655_4_om12BIG.jpg

10655_2_om1BIG.jpg

10655_1_om2BIG.jpg

Back