The brick walls have been taken down, that's sad to see them gone.

The first thing they did was tear down those beautiful yellow brick walls surrounding the site. The good news is they're storing them on site, so maybe at some point in the future they'll put them up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of students sans rich parents who live on Bay between Bloor and Dundas. I happen to be one of them. We have to split tiny suites into even tinier living spaces, but the rent we pay isn't significantly different than it is on the west side of campus. What we lack in space we make up for in reliable plumbing.

There are a lot of students sans rich parents who live on Bay between Bloor and Dundas. I happen to be one of them. We have to split tiny suites into even tinier living spaces, but the rent we pay isn't significantly different than it is on the west side of campus. What we lack in space we make up for in reliable plumbing.

That's so sad that it's almost comical.
Is the rental housing stock in the west side that bad ???
What size/condition/rents would you be seeing?

I remember when I went to UofT there were some hell holes asking crazy rents, but if you looked around there are some good places.

A friend of mine currently rents 3rd floor 1 bedroom unit for $650 inclusive.
It's semi-renovated - newer bath, laminate flooring, CAC, internet, cable; kitchen is older.
Better than anything he could buy for similar $$$ (mortgage/taxes/etc.)

November 10

The sales office.
3030775780_13707ddbcf_b.jpg

3030775782_c9a987032f_b.jpg

3030775786_87c5f5ae28_b.jpg

I like that 'U' ......... :D

That's a handsome and confident looking sales office, err, "Presentation Gallery".

That's so sad that it's almost comical.
Is the rental housing stock in the west side that bad ???
What size/condition/rents would you be seeing?

I remember when I went to UofT there were some hell holes asking crazy rents, but if you looked around there are some good places.

A friend of mine currently rents 3rd floor 1 bedroom unit for $650 inclusive.
It's semi-renovated - newer bath, laminate flooring, CAC, internet, cable; kitchen is older.
Better than anything he could buy for similar $$$ (mortgage/taxes/etc.)

It's tough because the college/annex area is a hot place to live for the bohemian/intellectual/art crowd, and the trend has been for middle-aged professionals to buy multi-unit houses and convert back to single-family. Living east of campus gets you a place modern amenities like central air and a dishwasher, which are generally not available in the older places on the west side.

i went into the sales office sometime last week and man, was i disappointed. The model suite was a joke. The floor plans aren't impressive at all, entering your apartment with a counter-top infront is just a huge turn-off, IMO. Huge disappointment :mad:

I also visited the Sales Office last week. I was told that the West Tower, which was rumored to have been fully sold back in September, was in fact a "healthy 60 percent sold". I gather that most of these sales took place in preview events for brokers and other insiders. The prices are really high - about 550 to 610 a sq ft, WITHOUT PARKING OR LOCKER ,and the plans are disappointing. They are offering minute euro-styled appliances that are simply inadequate for today's lifestyles.

I still maintain that the location is superb, but prefer to wait a few months for the inevitable "incentives" to be offered...

I am not too hopeful that this project will fly in the current economic climate, ae even buyers with cash are opting to hold cash until they see a clearing in the financial fog.

Based on pricing, the general crappery of the layouts and appliances, and the fact that they lied about this place being almost sold out, I think U has a better than average chance of being put on hold. Which is too bad, because I like the buildings, and they would have been a nice addition to the area.

What does this mean? I thought that slimming appliances down was part of 'today's lifestyle,' whatever that is.

How difficult a concept is that to understand? Lifestyle means "style of living". Most people involved in the design professions, especially (the better) interior designers and specifiers are trained to assess LIFESTYLE. We live differently today than we did ten, twenty, thirty years ago. More refrigeration and freezer space is a top request from clients. Clients also want wine chillers, gas cooktops, proper exhaust venting etc etc.

Back