If we were shown these new renders/models in total ignorance of what was previously designed, we'd all think it was the bee's knees. If this new design goes up at all, I'll be pleased.

I wish they had just changed the orientation of the original boot design from south-->north to west-->east. I don't like the angular break on the east side of the building the "new" foot creates. I think it would look better with a reduced version of the original foot containing live/work lofts.

Edit: Okay, it's probably not a sharp 90-degree break like I had thought. This old rendering shows the same curve, but it doesn't flow with the curvy side of the building.

daniellibeskindltower2svs2.jpg

It still doesn't really make up for the super curvy office foot, but I guess the property dimensions just aren't there to rotate the tower sideways.

Last edited:
If we were shown these new renders/models in total ignorance of what was previously designed, we'd all think it was the bee's knees. If this new design goes up at all, I'll be pleased.

while everyone would have 'probably' been pleased with the new design IF this in fact was introduced first ....... it most certainly wouldn't have captured 'centre stage' attention like L Tower has ...

I really think this project is now a total joke ... and wish bad 'karma' (LOL Sharon Stone) on the developers, maybe a bunch of purchasers canceling their deals due to this change, resulting in the current proposal not getting built :p

In memory of the "L" Tower:

Daniel_Libeskind_L-Tower_4_Small.jpg
27xi23t.jpg

not a disappointment

hey everyone,

i am new here, so please feel free to subject me to the usual chops of initiation.

anyway, the redesign is not a let down and i'll tell you why:

the original design, while striking, DEFINITELY disrespected the design of the hummingbird (i'm not calling it the sony centre). that old building is a toronto classic and one the best produced during the 1960's.

also, WE NEED PUBLIC SPACE. I really think people should stop bashing the city for enhancing the public realm. that law, while imperfect, is progressive, intelligent and overall, good for the city. it is unfair to the council when we freely enjoy all of these new spaces outside of generally mediocre condos and then complain about this particular project just because Libeskind created an interesting podium.

Last edited:
hey everyone,

i am new here, so please feel free to subject me to the usual chops of initiation.

anyway, the redesign is not a let down and i'll tell you why:

the original design, while striking, DEFINITELY disrespected the design of the hummingbird (i'm not calling it the sony centre). that old building is a toronto classic and one the best produced during the 1960's.

also, WE NEED PUBLIC SPACE. I really think people should stop bashing the city for enhancing the public realm. that law, while imperfect, is progressive, intelligent and overall, good for the city. it is unfair to the council when we can enjoy all of these new spaces from generally mediocre condos and then complain just because Libeskind created an interesting podium.

Nice post, Barrytron, and welcome. How's the year 3030?

I tend to agree. If anything, this new version is less damaging to the heritage building, though I really don't like the look of that angled part where the boot used to be. What's going on with that?

This could still be a great tower, if it gets built. Does anyone have a read on that situation?

WE NEED PUBLIC SPACE. I really think people should stop bashing the city for enhancing the public realm.

I don't understand how the need for public space can be used as a defense. This is a tiny, tiny plot of land... hardly much realm to enhance. And if Libeskind was disrespectful to the Hummingbird design, how can his destroyed vision now be complimentary?

DSCN3730.jpg

good points

you make some very good points

firstly (i should have mentioned this earlier), i WISH they would just build the entire complex, in its original form, on one of the many parking lots surrounding the st lawrence market, or perhaps that giant plot of land at queen and church, by moss park. obviously though, this is only a dream.

anyway, i do personally think they new design is less damaging to the original structure, but you can disagree with me. in all honesty, the tower is still striking, unique, and will figure prominently in the new skyline.

but again, i must stress, i side with the law here. we cant just create exceptions based on favourites. i still maintain the law is a good one and must be maintained if the city is to have any philosophical leverage over developers.

and yes the space behind the building is small BUT it can nevertheless be developed into something special. also, let's not forget that the public realm also includes new sidewalks, new benches, new trees, and sculpture. whether these wonderful things will actually get built is up to the developer and mr. libeskind.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I hated the original design because of its completely boorish disregard for the O'Keefe Centre (I refuse Hummingbird or Sony)). I do like the tower though, and that is essentially what remains, so I'm happy. That said, the base still looks clumsy. I hope this will be improved.

I don't understand how the need for public space can be used as a defense. This is a tiny, tiny plot of land... hardly much realm to enhance. And if Libeskind was disrespectful to the Hummingbird design, how can his destroyed vision now be complimentary?

DSCN3730.jpg

I'd like to see that little plot of land on the west side of the Sony Centre turned into a large glassed in cafe that could be partially opened up in the summer. It would add a lot of animation to this otherwise quiet corner. Shopsy's and the cafes in BCE Place seem to do very well here and there's always lots of tourists in the area thanks to the HHOF, St. Lawrence Market, Flatiron, etc.

When the design first came out, I remember a lot of criticism of the boot design. I still think this is going to stand out from among the other towers in the area.

while everyone would have 'probably' been pleased with the new design IF this in fact was introduced first ....... it most certainly wouldn't have captured 'centre stage' attention like L Tower has ...

I really think this project is now a total joke ... and wish bad 'karma' (LOL Sharon Stone) on the developers, maybe a bunch of purchasers canceling their deals due to this change, resulting in the current proposal not getting built :p

In memory of the "L" Tower:

Daniel_Libeskind_L-Tower_4_Small.jpg
27xi23t.jpg

Its still sexy, even without the boot!

It needs a bit of redesign at the base. Get rid of the indentation on the south side and broaden the base a little. It looks a bit top heavy like it's going to fall over.

I'm rather disappointed as I don't particularily find the new design anymore sympathetic to the O'Keefe Centre (I'm not calling it Hummingbird). It certainly lacks the drama of the old.

Back