i love stirring debate. this thread is gettin heated.

It's quite naive to think that nothing of architectural and/or cultural significance was built in the 1960s.

Not so much that, as it's a stretch to think of it in terms of heritage--remember, there's still a deep vested impression that anything that's "heritage" ought to so-called "look historical" (or in more extreme cases, be over 100 years old).

F'rinstance, re the two listed buildings at University + Richmond, I'm sure that to casual passerby, Marani & Morris's 1958 Bank of Canada registers more as "heritage" than Parkin's 1961 Sun Life. Not a statement of advocacy; more a statement of attached associations. (Which might just as well reflect how the term "heritage" is an Achille's heel. It's got that cloying Downtown Unionville quality to it.)

it doesn't have to be that old to be heritage... Kitchener's old City Hall was only 49 years old when it was torn town in the 1970s (i.e. today's equivalent would be buildings built in 1960). Yet to this day people still regret that the city tore it down

827983-194852.jpg

But, again...it "looked heritagey". And as some of the comments in that earlier linked NYT piece indicate, there's a touch of "that's what we saved historical buildings from, and now you want us to declare *it* historical, too?!?" sentiment out there. A funny psychological block...

(And to play a kind of devil's advocate: consider the sentiment of many 60s/70s architectural types, even so-called "heritage friendly" ones such as Eric Arthur, i.e. there was a certain reactionary fallacy abount Kitchener erecting a City Hall in the 1920s that looked unabashedly like something out of the 1820s. Now, if it was actually built in the 1820s, save it. But being of the 1920s, who cares. Sometimes, you hear a distant echo of that sentiment in Urban Shocker's pronouncements on the Robert Stern aesthetic, etc...)

Last edited:
I still dont see how something build in the 60s can be classified as a heritage building.I guess only in Toronto.

only in toronto you say? new yawk is busy protecting this and that from its early modern period...50s and 60s.
as is chicago.
toronto lost two beauts when the original ford hq in oakville and the lever bros buildings were gutted and turned into 21st century blocks.
now lever is a hi-rise car dealership.
the td centre has been messed with so often it ain't funny. the ernst n' young bldg is...not funny.
glad to see the disco boot wart has been burned off the l-tower. the rest of the building is sexy enough on its own.
and a classic modern building gets a reprieve.

This is the attitude people had about all those buildings from the early 1900s that were bulldozed. Thanks, keep it up!

Come on.1900s was an era with different architecture from the 60s.Some of these people that designate these 60s and 70s ugly concrete slab buildings as heritage need their head checked,

In the early 1900s to 30s structures were classified as gothic revival, prairie, eduardian, victorian, 40s and 50s Art Deco/Moderne. What would something build in the 60 and 70s be classified as?

toronto lost two beauts when the original ford hq in oakville and the lever bros buildings were gutted and turned into 21st century blocks.

Actually, the new Ford building was built alongside the old, and the old one then demolished. It's only because they look similar in scale that some might believe it was a gut/rebuild...

Come on.1900s was an era with different architecture from the 60s.Some of these people that designate these 60s and 70s ugly concrete slab buildings as heritage need their head checked,

In the early 1900s to 30s structures were classified as gothic revival, prairie, eduardian, victorian, 40s and 50s Art Deco/Moderne. What would something build in the 60 and 70s be classified as?

Victorian is, of course, pre-1900. Art Deco/Moderne is identified more with 20s/30s than 40s/50s. And as for what comes after...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_style_(architecture)

Or just "Modernism", as a catchall for everything 'twixt historicism'n'deco and Pomo...

Victorian is, of course, pre-1900. Art Deco/Moderne is identified more with 20s/30s than 40s/50s. And as for what comes after...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_style_(architecture)

Or just "Modernism", as a catchall for everything 'twixt historicism'n'deco and Pomo...

Actually the Victorian era was from 1837 to 1901.We have a bunch of Victorian homes down in Parkdale build beetween 1892 and 1904,im almost sure they were build here in various areas of Toronto till 1910

Last edited:
Automation Gallery, I don' think there are any examples of "Eduardian" architecture in Canada. Latin America, maybe. You should maybe look up what these terms mean before you start using them.

Automation Gallery, I don' think there are any examples of "Eduardian" architecture in Canada. Latin America, maybe. You should maybe look up what these terms mean before you start using them.

I thought most of the houses in Riverdale are considered Edwardian?

Back