Come on stop beating up on Kris, this location and the demolition of those derelict buildings have been mentioned many times in past threads`as a possible future supertall location

And almost every time it has been some forumer's wet dream accompanied by a photo with a dozen X'd out buildings. However, if I remember correctly, the so called derelict buildings were almost always deemed worthy enough to survive the mighty pen.

Yes we all do live in the same world and very aware of the economy, but any new development proposals in the early stages wont be ready for occupancy for 5-7 years anyways.

But it may not be needed for 30 years. Take a look at RBC/Ritz across the street which were originally planned/outlined in the late eighties which includes this parking lot.

However, if I remember correctly, the so called derelict buildings were almost always deemed worthy enough to survive the mighty pen.

But it may not be needed for 30 years. Take a look at RBC/Ritz across the street which were originally planned/outlined in the late eighties which includes this parking lot.

Yes maybe derelict is is a little to heavy for some of you, lets just call it average buildings, the obvious reason we are mentioning this lot and surroundings is because being so close to the downtown core, most of us figure it would be an excellent location to get quick approval from the city for a 200-300 meter building without geting plenty of painfull oppisition from the anti-development geeks.

And by the way we are not living in the hatties.:rolleyes: In todays world, money talks bullshit walks. There is no need to be waiting 30 years for things to happen.

Last edited:
An uber-tall office tower would be a bit unnecessary here I think. Maybe down the road, but I can't see this district, with so many great lowrise buildings (Entertainment District for example) getting supertall anytime soon.

A nice midrise or a tower the size of RBC would be fine by me though.

Seems that for some people here, city-building first requires the wrecking of what makes this street worthwhile.

A supertall on that site would invariably mean an entire block of plate glass in between precast panels...or maybe exotic grey stone, if we're lucky. How charming it would be to have that instead of a row of old brick buildings filled with restaurants!

The parking lot itself is more than big enough to house a hefty tower...even a 10 storey building would do a lot for Front.

Sorry to ruin a good supertall argument but the project is construction of a new sales centre for the Ritz Carlton. Nothing too exciting.

The RBC/Ritz project represents completion of the CBC/Simcoe Master plan from the 1980's. Anything new here would be a new project completely.

There is a significant amount of new unleashed office space coming online over the next 12 months and another glut in the proposal stage that is further along than anything in this particular lot.

I don't think anyone should get too excited about 'supertall' fantasies (whatever those are) or too concerned about the heritage buildings being knocked down.

But I want a supertall, so it can fill the gap in the skyline when you are looking northwest while standing on Lakeshore blvd., and so we can be like Dubia, and we can beat Chicago in the number of buildings over 5 stories and......heck, I can't even fake this sh*t.

The RBC/Ritz project represents completion of the CBC/Simcoe Master plan from the 1980's. Anything new here would be a new project completely.

I have a masterplan from the late eighties somewhere that includes this parking lot.

And by the way we are not living in the hatties. In todays world, money talks bullshit walks. There is no need to be waiting 30 years for things to happen.

Are you seriously for real? Yeah, money talks with money being a long term lease agreement for a sizable amount of the total space with someone more than a Meadowvalian fly by night. In case you weren't aware, these guys are the rarest of commodities. It can easily take decades to unearth one.

couldn't you have the supertall AND keep loose moose and the other building?
just look at the footprint of trump. it's tiny and was originally supposed to be 325...i think.
that parking lot must be as big or bigger than the postage stamp trump built on.

I regret my comment about adding a supertall in this location now haha. Although, I'm sure someone else would have said something anyway.

As for taking down the buildings, I take that back too, because I thought they were different buildings.

Do I recall there being plans for replacing the brick building at Simcoe + Wellington? Maybe that's where the confusion kicks in...

here is one of my favourite walls in the city... Joe Badali's immediately east of the lot in question. I wonder if the apparent new Ritz sales centre will interfere with the deck they put up here for outdoor dining in the warm weather?

3535280821_a61b5127dc.jpg

Back