from today's Star, some good news on the sales front....

Affordability helps sales take flight

'Confidence is slowly seeping back' says developer after prime site launch goes well
May 16, 2009

Comments on this story (0)

Tracy Hanes

TORONTO STAR

The success of the Fly condominium launch last weekend could be a harbinger that confidence is returning to the market, says Paul Golini, Empire Communities executive vice-president. Despite wet and windy weather, Fly's opening weekend resulted in sales of 330 of 458 suites offered at the 352 Front St. W. site, between Blue Jays Way and Spadina Ave. The 24-storey glass and metal modern tower designed by Graziani & Corazza Architects will be across from the Rogers Centre and within walking distance of restaurants and nightlife, sports venues, the theatre and financial districts.

<snip-snip>

Yesterday I noticed the current issue of Condo Guide has Fly on the front cover. Perhaps that also helped generate interest?

Does this redesign/rejigging still conform to Vaughan's 10% 3-bedroom rule? As an aside, was that request (10% @ 3 bedrooms) ever translated to official planning policy?

Does this redesign/rejigging still conform to Vaughan's 10% 3-bedroom rule? As an aside, was that request (10% @ 3 bedrooms) ever translated to official planning policy?

I'm not sure the city has the legal authority to implement such a regulation.

What are your thoughts on the Capote model?

It's weird because you have to enter through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Do you guys think this is a good investment? I have a friend who purchased but still has a few days to back out.

I figure a young student renting wouldn't care too much. But I think this unit would be hard to sell in the future.

http://www.simplycondos.com/condos/toronto/floorplans3/fly/1beds.pdf

I like that layout because it is wide and has lots of windows (proportional to its sq.ft.)

But for resale I would be concerned because:
  • east facing unit means looking right into The Element next door
  • that living / dining room read 9'9" wide, I think that includes the kitchen cabinets, which mean you only have a 7'9" living/dining room space that is totally not usable (on top of which a round column sits in the middle)

I like that layout because it is wide and has lots of windows (proportional to its sq.ft.)

But for resale I would be concerned because:
  • east facing unit means looking right into The Element next door
  • that living / dining room read 9'9" wide, I think that includes the kitchen cabinets, which mean you only have a 7'9" living/dining room space that is totally not usable (on top of which a round column sits in the middle)
Appreciate the response.

Both columns have been removed from her suite. She has the one on the 20th floor, the way Element is designed, it bumps out quite a fair bit from the building at around 18 floors so the view will still be blah but not as blah as the units on the lower floors.

I've never seen a unit where you had to go through the bedroom to the bath.

What are your thoughts on the Capote model?

It's weird because you have to enter through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Do you guys think this is a good investment? I have a friend who purchased but still has a few days to back out.

I figure a young student renting wouldn't care too much. But I think this unit would be hard to sell in the future.

Forget it ... the space is completely unusuable.

you indicated that she said the columns are gone but what assurances does she have it won't be there since the unit is on the 20th floor what is going to support 3 levels above ???

If the columns remain, one will barely be able to fit a queen bed in the bedroom since there is only 1 wall (north) to place it as the west wall is bisected by w/c door and closet; south wall is entry; east wall is window. I feel sorry for the person who would have to squeeze around the column.

For the LR/DR, with ~7'9" of room width, that's barely enough room to fit a standard couch length of 7'0" or even condo size sofa of 6'0" and no space for traffic patterns.

Lack of closet and storage space - only 3ft in bed and 2.5 ft in main area.

Personally, I would not want to have guests go through my bedroom to get to the washroom.

Sorry to be so critical ... but I hate what developers are passing off as liveable spaces.

Forget it ... the space is completely unusuable.

you indicated that she said the columns are gone but what assurances does she have it won't be there since the unit is on the 20th floor what is going to support 3 levels above ???

If the columns remain, one will barely be able to fit a queen bed in the bedroom since there is only 1 wall (north) to place it as the west wall is bisected by w/c door and closet; south wall is entry; east wall is window. I feel sorry for the person who would have to squeeze around the column.

For the LR/DR, with ~7'9" of room width, that's barely enough room to fit a standard couch length of 7'0" or even condo size sofa of 6'0" and no space for traffic patterns.

Lack of closet and storage space - only 3ft in bed and 2.5 ft in main area.

Personally, I would not want to have guests go through my bedroom to get to the washroom.

Sorry to be so critical ... but I hate what developers are passing off as liveable spaces.
I appreciate your honesty. The design could have been much better.

As far as the columns go, I believe it was part of the agreement that they would be removed. The Capote units will no longer have those columns, according to the sales agent.

I know it's a crappy model, but I was shocked that it was sold out on day 1. That got me thinking that maybe there are people who wouldn't mind it.

As far as the columns go, I believe it was part of the agreement that they would be removed. The Capote units will no longer have those columns, according to the sales agent.

I don't understand how the sales agent can say they will be removed !?!?!

AFAIK those columns are structural !

I don't understand how the sales agent can say they will be removed !?!?!

AFAIK those columns are structural !
I think the models were re-jigged. Apparently the new floorplans don't have columns. This is what I've been told. I could be wrong.

I think the models were re-jigged. Apparently the new floorplans don't have columns. This is what I've been told. I could be wrong.

If there's a new floorplan, does that mean the location within the building has changed?

I just went to Fly's website and can't find the Capote model anymore.

I was considering the Capote but rejected it because I would have no idea where to put the TV with that layout (which is the first thing that I look for). Also, I didn't like having those 2 columns in the middle of the room but since you say they have removed the columns, that's a big plus. The bathroom in the bedroom doesn't really bother me...but that's my own preference I guess.

Make sure that is written explicitly into the purchase of sale agreement. Sales agents often have limited knowledge with respect to detailed project specifications - a written contract is essential to protect your rights.

Last edited:

Hi, new to UT but can confirm that the columns in the Capote unit were revised when the building underwent a re-design.

Below the Capote originally was a 3bed unit. During the re-design, this unit was divided into two 1beds. The structure was revised to both benefit and maximize the usable/livable space in both the redesigned units and the Capote which rests above. With the opportunity to redesign the layouts, there was also an opportunity to tailor and maximize the livable area in the Capote, while insuring adequate support was provided.

The Schedule A in your friends APS will show the actual configuration of the unit without the columns.

Back