Oh good. I'm glad they changed it. It was hideous before. Looks much better now in this new render!
Thank you for posting those renders.

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20175.jpg

basically from version 1 to version 3 ... FLY's design (see above) been cheapened (tm) in the following sense:
  1. random shaped balconies on west facade eliminated, replaced with flat balconies alterating every other floor
  2. roof canopy/hat removed
  3. jiggering glass edge projection on west elevation taken off

in short, Fly's design has gone from 'somewhat interesting' to 'just another condo' :rolleyes:

The Cheapening has been kind to this building.

Not anymore !!

If you look at the floorplans that were posted a few pages ago and the current floorplans (available if you register at the site) you can see that the suite layouts have remained virtually the same. The only noticable change was the exterior.

Here's the list of names and floorplans at original launch:

1 Bedrooms -
The Capote
The Theroux
The Galliano
The McCartney
The Prada
The Cezanne
The Atwood
The Givenchy
The Wolfe

1 Bedrooms + Den
The Fitzgerald
The Urquhart
The Proust
The Cavalli

2 Bedrooms
The Carr
The Gaultier
The Dior
The Missoni
The Warhol
The Fendi
The Hemmingway
The Angelou
The Armani
The Chanel
The Valentino

3 Bedrooms
The Van Gogh
The Picasso

http://andrewlafleur.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/fly-condos-floor-plans.pdf

Here's the list of names and floorplans at original launch:

1 Bedrooms -
The Capote
The Theroux
The Galliano
The McCartney
The Prada
The Cezanne
The Atwood
The Givenchy
The Wolfe
etc.

Gee - why don't they call them:

The Name-Dropper
The Pretentious
The Wannabe
The Outta-My-League
The Someone Else Who's Truly Famous
The Reviled-In-Their-Lifetime
The Not Familiar With Their Work
The Who - (No Really, Who?)

Empire states in ad in Toronto Star today that 330 of 458 available units sold during 2 day Grand Opening event.

Also states savy purchasers were waiting in line and waiving cheque books...

Remaining suites from $210,900.

Last edited:
The use of the words "the cheapening" massively oversimplies a range of factors that impact building design and the words are tossed around too easily sometimes on this forum.

The fact is that Empire was struggling to move units and had to make changes to avoid the potential cancellation of the project. The average $psf dropped by over $100 and it's economics 101 that both the interiors and exteriors would undergo some 'down-specing' (of note is that a number of people have suggested they prefer the new design).

Due to the sales success that Empire netted following the re-launch it is quite likely that some other developments may attempt similar tactics if they are pushed up against the wall to avoid project cancellation (there will be significant pressure on a number of projects as the year progresses and more cancellations are a virtual certainty)... the HST will also play a role in the types of developments launched in the future in terms of both interior specifications and exterior design as developers attempt to bring costs down.

Though they're using the irritating word "iconic" to market this thing, add me to the list of those who see it as the least awful of the three versions - meagre backhanded compliment though that is. In addition to the financial imperative, maybe the design evolution reflects how the "look at me!" balloon is deflating when it comes to what can be marketed nowadays.

The main thing is, the big green fly strips have made the cut.

I understand the reasons for making the exterior design changes, etc to limit the developers costs, thereby reduce the $ PSF ... IMO the new design isn't bad, definitely not the controversial 'look at me' of the original concept.

However, what I will not accept is the down-sizing of suites to call ~450 SF a 1bedroom ... and remember, the SF is based on builder's plan so liveable space is much less than stated by 8-10%.

Sure, you're buying at $160K for a 400 SF (really 360 SF) closet, but is that really liveable. I'm not advocating everyone live in McMansions ... quite the contrary but TO RE prices do not warrant the prices based on local fundamentals.

Recently, I was talking to friends about RE prices in HK for a 25 yr property in dt central ... funny enough the price was the same for a 25 yr old unit in TO (when FX taken into account).

Considering land is really scarce in HK compared to TO where parking lots and under-used density is bountiful in comparison, I would think there's more land value associated with HK properties.

Yet why would TO command the same $$$?

Though they're using the irritating word "iconic" to market this thing, add me to the list of those who see it as the least awful of the three versions - meagre backhanded compliment though that is. In addition to the financial imperative, maybe the design evolution reflects how the "look at me!" balloon is deflating when it comes to what can be marketed nowadays.

The main thing is, the big green fly strips have made the cut.

Urban Shocker? Didn't you die in Denver in 1928? In lieu, how about Urban Mediocre, Urban Conventional, Urban Pedestrian, Urban Undistinguished, Urban Garden-Variety, Urban Unremarkable...the list goes on. You make a liar out of yourself Shocker, when the name you bestowed upon yourself is so drastically far from the truth.

Back