You don't build roads for the middle of the night traffic flow

The goal is to reduce traffic and look 50 to 100 years out. Other than peak time, 60% the road space is unused. Don't feel sorry for the people caught in traffic using single seat. There is only 2 lanes out side of peak.

>> Looking 50-100 years out is ridiculous in the context of a commuter road. That would be like someone in 1909 or even 1959 trying to decide what road usage would be like in 2009. 1909 guy: I hear these new horseless carriages are all the rage. Let's build a 6-lane divided boulevard for them. 1959 guy: People are going to want to be able to swim off the industrial docks in 50 years once the industry dies. Let's tear down our new elevated highway and build a 6-lane divided boulevard.

I don't have a problem with the two lanes outside peak. I have a problem with the peak traffic, unless GO or the subway massively builds capacity.

There needs to be transit on this road for the long haul and bypassing the area. Some of the buildings will be over 500m from transit on the Lake Shore.

>> Not certain what this comment means. LSB is not the transit corrider, Queen's Quay/Cherry/King will be the transit corridors.

The ramp to the Gardiner west of Jarvis will be like what there is now at the east end.

>> The big difference is, of course, the DVP. The Leslie stub had nowhere near the traffic demand -- even in peak periods, it was a ghost town.

The emphasis was on the Keating Channel and the promontory park as it will be the first areas built first.

>> Thanks for that. I missed that -- good news for us east-enders, as that means the fun bits will arrive before the development (like WDL but unlike CityPlace.)

For all the excitement about how much more 'psychically enticing' the whole area will be with the Gardiner down, the HUGE difference will be that there will be somewhere to go -- I was happy to cross under the Gardiner to go to the Waterfront Bistro. With a bunch of restos and a boardwalk along Keating, I'd go under the Gardiner now. An oily ship channel and dive bar do not a destination make!

All in all, the plans looked exciting and I hope I live long enough to see a chunk of them come to full fruition.

I wonder why they don't do a 2 use on one bridge like other countries have done. Instead of having 2 bridges, have one. Bottom section for trains and top level for cars and pedestrians.

Most of the area under the bridge is in the regulatory floodplain. A two level bridge here would require a big ramp system to lift the road above the streetcar tracks. The end result wouldn't look that great and for such a short bridge distance I doubt it would be cheaper.

A river ... runs through it
Neglected for nearly a century, the Lower Don Lands is set for a major -- and green -- restoration

The new river is to cut through the now concrete slab in the lake, and the Keating Channel -- which will be kept -- will be lined with promenades, waterfront cafes and restaurants, transforming it from an eyesore to a destination and home to 25,000 people. :)

"There's no money for it. The three levels of government have given Waterfront Toronto $1.5 billion, and they spend all their money on consultants and studies, and the Lower Don Lands is an example of that," he said. "They don't get anything done." :mad:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/06/01/9634391-sun.html

While one can certainly argue that what gets done could be better and could be done faster it is certainly not true NOTHING has been done. Waterfront Toronto have been very good with consultation and planning and we are now seeing stuff happening. It is surely better to plan first and then construct rather than build and fix! We already have wavedecks, parks are being built "as we speak" and the West Don Lands is a huge project which will prevent flooding in a big area.

Someone need to drag Minnan-Wong's posterior to West Don Lands, East Bayfront, Ontario Place, Mimico, etc and show him physical evidence of work done, then demand that he retract his rather inaccurate statement.

AoD

Denzil is just the go-to 'Quote of the Day' guy

Someone need to drag Minnan-Wong's posterior to West Don Lands, East Bayfront, Ontario Place, Mimico, etc and show him physical evidence of work done, then demand that he retract his rather inaccurate statement.

AoD

He cannot bring himself to say something nice about Miller & Co., which really lowers his credibility when he does have something to say. This is just a stupid statement by him.

"It is surely better to plan first and then construct rather than build and fix!"

Interesting thought but largely inconclusive. I actually suspect it is easier to build and fix but that is because I have a bias towards initiative and am suspect of planning. Reason: planning mostly turns out terrible even when our thoughts are sound and intentions good. Initiative is on the other hand shockingly rare and precious.

TrickyRicky:

I actually suspect it is easier to build and fix...

In the case of West Don Lands, probably not - improper planning for floodplain developments can translate into an astronomical cost of retrofitting - if it can be done at all. Besides, everything we (i.e. individuals, government, businsses) do is planned - the question is the amount of time spent doing it and the issues covered.

AoD

We'll all be dead in 25 years anyways.

I hate getting excited about things that are so far in the future.

Back