You got a full gym,pool,court,BBQ lounge,racket ball,home theater room,etc,etc..if you join gym downtown expect to pay $45+ per month...soo your not buying a parking space for Fly?.If you plan to resell thats not a wise choice,I never seen anyone %100 get rid of their car downtown,they may not drive it to bars,work,etc but they still own a car.Why do you think projects like Concord is jam pack with cars because the owners of the condo still owns a car but can walk to most of the locations but not all.Fly is smack in the middle of rush hour and close enough to the entertainment district to be affected by noise and drunks.I rather have the quiet nights at Mystic and take a extra 15 minutes on the TTC to go downtown.Its great to enjoy the excitement of downtown but not great to be living within it.

Do a side by side comparison if you are going to start listing off amenities offered by California. Otherwise the comment is pointless.

Actually yes I'd be much more willing to give up my car in a downtown setting.

BTW California is by a busy highway and railway, and the food terminal, and Canada bread (IIRC. Can you say Yeasty smell?)

To each his own I guess. I'm not going change your opinion on the area (nor was I trying to), I was simply saying that the building is a little overpriced for me.

Judging by the prices that were provided earlier in the thread, it looks as if the price per sq. foot is actually VERY attractive in this development, even moving up to 2 BD suites.

Re: Fly compared to California, I would say it ultimately comes down to 'where' someone wants to live and 'what' the price that they're willing to pay for it will be.

Some people want to live right in the action. Fly offers this lifestyle. The downside is that this lifestyle comes with expensive parking, minimal amenities and crappy floorplans.

Some people want to live minutes away from the action, so they can separate themselves from the crazy city life. California offers this lifestyle. The downside is that this lifestyle comes with not being right in downtown, and to live in a growing area that has improved public transportation routes and developments in the plans.

Obviously the are more pros / cons to each project, but ultimately, I truly believe that behind all the bells, whistles and branding for any project in the city, the deciding factor still comes down to price, location and future appreciation value.

Obviously the are more pros / cons to each project, but ultimately, I truly believe that behind all the bells, whistles and branding for any project in the city, the deciding factor still comes down to price, location and future appreciation value.

California's future appreciation value is less than FLY's, hands down.

soo your not buying a parking space for Fly?.If you plan to resell thats not a wise choice,I never seen anyone %100 get rid of their car downtown,they may not drive it to bars,work,etc but they still own a car.

Ducati, I have completely given up my car and I live downtown King West...and just for fun, a little math... ;)

Cost of car ownership - let's choose a Honda Civic:

Monthly payments for first four years - $550
Insurance - $120
Depreciation - $280
Gas - let's say, because it's a car that's not used much, 2 tanks a month = $90
Maintenance - on average, according to CAA, $100/month
Parking - $60 in condo fees, plus mortgage on $20 000 spot = $120/month = $180/month
Total = $1320/month or $17 340/year.

If you moved downtown and gave up your car you could:

1) Buy a monthly bus pass
2) Spend $200/month on taxis
3) Rent a car every 2nd Weekend ($200/month)
....and you would still save enough to cover an extra $145 000 in mortgage payments.

If you got rid of the above expenses (like I do, mostly), you could afford an extra $200 000 in mortgage payments.

Or, drop the car, walk or bike to work and think of it as giving yourself a $27 000 raise per year!

Also, I live in a very busy area and noise is not an issue and while I don't really like FLY as their unit layouts suck, there will be little to no noise issue as there are very few clubs/restaurants in the immediate vicinity - 2 blocks over at Peter, that's another situation altogether.

Last edited:
I applaud those who give up their cars. However, I lived downtown for over a dozen years and only gave up my car for a few months of that entire time.

It's quite inconvenient not having a car, esp. if you're used to having it.. I knew some people who didn't have a car. However, almost every person I knew downtown who had a car before moving downtown kept it when they moved to downtown.

I would definitely agree about buying the parking space and renting it out in terms of ease of resale - especially for larger units. You won't make any cash on it as your mortgage/condo fee for the parking space will eat up all you get for the spot, but at least someone else is paying that part of the mortgage for you and a parking space - depending on where you're living - tends to appreciate quite nicely.

You havent been to California location have you,they have their own gym PLUS they are sharing the sports center,what does FLY have?.You comment about Chrisities is way off..the
aroma should be bonus shouldnt it or would you rather have car exhaust next to FLY.Last time I seen %90 of the condos downtown is next to a highway or large busy street and what does the food terminal has to do with these condos.Its almost 1/4 mile away.

Actually I have been to their sales centre and checked out the Mystic Pointe 'hood, thank you. I don't have the sales material for Fly although I'm sure that the amenities offered are comparable. Even so as I said earlier, I would imagine that the extra amenities would come at an increased maintenence fee and not a flat price increase (or at least a marginal price increase), more shared amenities should mean more maintenence costs not necissarily purchase costs. Understand?

Car fumes aren't very well appreciated I agree, but for some people a yeasty smell can be just as irritating. My point was that the area does have some negative qualities. Also is there not a highway and busy railway nearby?

The food terminal adds traffic, noise and pollution.

Sorry but this is not meant to be a direct Fly vs California comparison but simply an illustration of what can be had at the same price point of California. I just feel that California is slightly overpriced, that's all.

agree not all projects are perfect and not all locations are prime,and I do agree that California is priced high for a location not in the core,but look at By the Sea,Parkside,NXT,etc those condos were priced relatively high also.Maintenance charges are shared by iLoft,Tides and California so overall its rather cheap for the amount of "extras" your getting,those who bought into area knew that cost.For sure this area is for those who want the healthy lifestyle,lake and over all laidback feeling of this neighborhood,thats the reason I choose it over the hustle of the downtown condos.By the way Chrisities is going to be gone sooner or later,the industrial buildings across from Chrisities is said to be sold already but the lease for the current renters is not over yet.Parklawn is like three city blocks away from Mystic Point and %99 of the trucks stay on the Queensway and dont even go thru Lakeshore/Parklawn.Again the noise level is extremely low with windows open,maybe you should ask the current residence there they can confirm that fact.

Last edited:
I was told today from a rock solid source that California will not start construction until January at the very earliest. It's quite possible it will be delayed beyond that. My personal feeling is that if they have sold enough units, they will start construction shortly after Iloft is complete.

I was told today from a rock solid source that California will not start construction until January at the very earliest. It's quite possible it will be delayed beyond that. My personal feeling is that if they have sold enough units, they will start construction shortly after Iloft is complete.

Does anyone have any updated sales numbers? Curious to see how everything is going.

I am surprised that the ammenities at California have not received more attention in the marketplace. I think the tower is going to be very impressive when it is comnpleted, and the 31st and 32nd floor ammenities is going to add a lot to the value of our purchases at California.

I've purchased and am currently living in a new Camrost building downtown....Although most of their buildings look "cool", Camrost is the cheapest builder out there...the quailty of paint,drywall,and especially the finishes of the builing and suites are very poor quality and ....well cheap...They try to cut as many corners as possible and want to spend the least .......I would never by from Camrost again. Be prepared for what may happen. For those who did purchase, lets hope California turns out to be as amazing as it looks !

I've purchased and am currently living in a new Camrost building downtown....Although most of their buildings look "cool", Camrost is the cheapest builder out there...the quailty of paint,drywall,and especially the finishes of the builing and suites are very poor quality and ....well cheap...They try to cut as many corners as possible and want to spend the least .......I would never by from Camrost again. Be prepared for what may happen. For those who did purchase, lets hope California turns out to be as amazing as it looks !
96 St Patrick?

Finishes are important, and I am sure frustrating. But affordability and appreciation are also important. I think Camrost has priced the buildings mentioned at a good price, and the projects have both allowed for many of us to get in the market, and to realize some good capital gains in the first few years.

I would be curious to know how much you thing your 9T6 condo has increased in value since occupancy?

Back