I don't think it works this way. The contract is always written in the builder's favour. My lawyer is looking into this and has spoke to Ghadaki who quoted a subsection of the agreement 34c. Unfortunately, my agreement doesn't have a 34c so she is calling him back to get the section of the agreement he is referring to. I will update once I learn moe.

if your agreement does not have a 34c, then how can they charge you for this per the 'agreement'?

Last edited:
if your agreement does not have a 34c, then how can they charge you for this?

Just finished speaking with my lawyer, Ghadaki acknowledges that the addition of blinds or other items are not in the agreement. He now claims it's in a disclosure booklet. He is sending to my lawyer and I will find out once she looks it over. I have never seen or knew about this 'disclosure booklet'. She was pleased that the items were not in the agreement.

Just finished speaking with my lawyer, Ghadaki acknowledges that the addition of blinds or other items are not in the agreement. He now claims it's in a disclosure booklet. He is sending to my lawyer and I will find out once she looks it over. I have never seen or knew about this 'disclosure booklet'. She was pleased that the items were not in the agreement.

that sounds very fishy.
i don't believe the 'disclosure booklet/docs' form the main agreement, which is the Purchase and Sale Agreement, by which the contract is based.

did he answer your lawyer where 34c of the agreement was in the first place?

I spoke to him in December. This is a cash grab. He tried to reason with me on why I should sign the letter and send back to him. He asked when I bought my unit and said I would be happy with current prices. He also said by the time my lawyer gets involved it's cheaper just to pay for the blinds.

He knows people won't like it, but expects most will just pay it anyway. I think there are more than 300 units in this building with an average charge of $1,200 (my guess). It a substantial amount of money.

I spoke to him in December. This is a cash grab. He tried to reason with me on why I should sign the letter and send back to him. He asked when I bought my unit and said I would be happy with current prices. He also said by the time my lawyer gets involved it's cheaper just to pay for the blinds.

He knows people won't like it, but expects most will just pay it anyway. I think there are more than 300 units in this building with an average charge of $1,200 (my guess). It a substantial amount of money.

i think i read someone in this thread received a bill for $3000+ ...
there's probably a good 1/2 Million dollars at stake !

First of all, I am more and more displeased (actually, furious) with this building/builder/managment as each day passes.
To be honest, I kind of regret purchasing here, but I'm new to this, so maybe all builders treat their purchasers as poorly as these guys are treating 500 Sherbourne owners?

I can't believe the latest they are trying to pull (with the blinds). They are charging way too much for inferior blinds that we didn't ask for.. but I think we all agree on that.
As an early purchaser, I also really resent the described stance that I should shut up and pay for them because I've made so much money. Without early purchasers, some projects could not proceed..

Ericf, I appreciate what you are trying to do by playing the strength in numbers. I think people are just a little leery about handing over personal information to an unknown, faceless internet contact.

I have certainly not signed their letter and instead have contacted my lawyer re the blinds and am waiting for a response.

Re 34c of Disclosure Book:
The disclosure book is a 134 page document. I was given a copy when I signed the Agreement of Purchase and Sale.
34c does not detail having to pay for blinds. It is regarding window coverings, to summarize: we can't have tinted, coloured, mirrored etc window coverings visible from the exterior of the condo. Only white/off-white are allowed.

Last edited:
First of all, I am more and more displeased (actually, furious) with this building/builder/managment as each day passes.
To be honest, I kind of regret purchasing here, but I'm new to this, so maybe all builders treat their purchasers as poorly as these guys are treating 500 Sherbourne owners?

I can't believe the latest they are trying to pull (with the blinds). They are charging way too much for inferior blinds that we didn't ask for.. but I think we all agree on that.
As an early purchaser, I also really resent the described stance that I should shut up and pay for them because I've made so much money. Without early purchasers, some projects could not proceed..

Ericf, I appreciate what you are trying to do by playing the strength in numbers. I think people are just a little leery about handing over personal information to an unknown, faceless internet contact.

I have certainly not signed their letter and instead have contacted my lawyer re the blinds and am waiting for a response.

Re 34c of Disclosure Book:
The disclosure book is a 134 page document. I was given a copy when I signed the Agreement of Purchase and Sale.
34c does not detail having to pay for blinds. It is regarding window coverings, to summarize: we can't have tinted, coloured, mirrored etc window coverings visible from the exterior of the condo. Only white/off-white are allowed.

if that's what the developer is relying on to make you guys pay, from what i see, they have no legal standing !

I just got a response from an email I sent to the builder on December 21st. I completely forgot I sent this email. The builder acknoweledges that 34c in the disclosure statement only states uniformity as set by the condo board. They make an offer to subsidize 25% if we sign the document and send back to them. Alternatively, if the owner doesn't want the blinds, they will take them out and their will be no charge upon closing. Looks like all the complaints paid off.

It will be almost as much work to take them down. I'm going to offer 25% of my bill to leave them up (LOL).

I heard from my lawyer yesterday & he said to expect a second letter soon. He SPECULATES (I know it's not a common thing for a lawyer to do but I think he is on to something here) that the letter will say one of 2 things... A "discounted" price on the blinds or removal of blinds at their cost.

Cityboy, if I were you, I would sit tight and not do anything for now. Let's see what the 2nd letter says. In anycase my lawyer says they can't remove the blinds cos it's considered a fixture. He thinks we'll get them for free in the end. He thought the whole matter is a complete joke!

I heard from my lawyer yesterday & he said to expect a second letter soon. He SPECULATES (I know it's not a common thing for a lawyer to do but I think he is on to something here) that the letter will say one of 2 things... A "discounted" price on the blinds or removal of blinds at their cost.

Cityboy, if I were you, I would sit tight and not do anything for now. Let's see what the 2nd letter says. In anycase my lawyer says they can't remove the blinds cos it's considered a fixture. He thinks we'll get them for free in the end. He thought the whole matter is a complete joke!

i forgot that point !
your lawyer is right. if something is 'secured', it's considered a fixture and part of the condo.

Times Group Corporation is leaving a bad taste in current owners mouths, and possibly putting off future buyers with this cash grab.

i wonder if similar fees were charged at any of their other projects.

Flyer drop

Cityboy & Shelfun, thanks for the updates. I would be quite happy to be rid of these blinds and get some nice, well made ones of my choosing instead. I hope the removal and no charge happens.
And excellent point regarding the blinds being a fixture!

Now, a proposal: Weirdfishes suggested putting flyers under doors to reach a broader audience than those reading this forum. I am all for this! (I am not proposing to knock on doors or engage in conversation, just do a flyer drop). I can photocopy and put under the doors of a couple floors. Can anybody else volunteer to do this? Ericf?

I've quickly written some proposed conent:

CONCERNED ABOUT THE COST OF BLINDS?

Did you get a letter from Times Group telling you that you had to pay for the blinds that were installed in your suite? Did you order these blinds? If not, do you think you should have to pay? Some of us don't!!!

Don't sign the letter! Pass it along to your lawyer and they can check your Agreement of Purchase and Sale to see if you are obligated to pay for these blinds.

Some of your neighbours at 500 Sherbourne are talking online about the blinds (and other issues too).
Join them at online at http://tinyurl.com/500blinds

(urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?9554-500-Sherbourne)

Does anybody have any comments for changes/additions to the content? Anybody want to volunteer to cover some floors?

Last edited:
Does anybody have any comments for changes/additions to the content? Anybody want to volunteer to cover some floors?

I'm on 10th. I can at least help pass some flyers out on my floor and even a few floors above or below.

A link to this forum is a good idea but you linked to the first page on this epic thread. Can an admin move the blinds discussion to its own dedicated thread? This way, newcomers won't have to dig through 20 some odd pages to find the blinds discussion.

Yang

I'm on 10th. I can at least help pass some flyers out on my floor and even a few floors above or below.

A link to this forum is a good idea but you linked to the first page on this epic thread. Can an admin move the blinds discussion to its own dedicated thread? This way, newcomers won't have to dig through 20 some odd pages to find the blinds discussion.

Yang

Hi Yang,

Thanks for the feedback. Great point about having a new thread. However, I am not sure the admins would be interested in doing something like that for us, or how feasible it would be for them? How about we use the url http://tinyurl.com/500blinds/page20 instead? This will direct to page20 of the thread - the last post on that page is the first post in the blind discussion.

I can do floors 3-5 this weekend.
Yang, how about you do 9-11.
Lucky thing our fobs work in the elevator for all floors :)
Anyone else (comments or volunteer)?

I can do floors 18 to 22
send me the flyer...

Hi,

See if this attachment works for you: View attachment 2011-01--flyerdrop.doc

If not, it is basically just the following text (format as need be).

CONCERNED ABOUT THE COST OF BLINDS?

Did you get a letter from Times Group telling you that you had to pay for the blinds that were installed in your suite? Did you order these blinds? If not, do you think you should have to pay? Some of us don't!!!

Don't sign the letter! Pass it along to your lawyer first and they can check your Agreement of Purchase and Sale to see if you are obligated to pay for these blinds.

Some of your neighbours at 500 Sherbourne are talking online about the blinds (and other issues too).
Join them at http://tinyurl.com/500blinds/page20

(http:// urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?9554-500-Sherbourne/page20)

Attachments

• 2011-01--flyerdrop.doc
    8.5 KB · Views: 377

Back