News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although he offered few specifics, Ford's campaign rhetoric struck a sympathetic tone towards builders. Ford said Section 37 fees, which allows the city to be flexible with height and density requirements in exchange for community benefits, were tantamount to “extortion.”

This is somewhat worrying- it will allow developers to get away with developments that do nothing for the community. Not unexpected for Ford, though.

Does that mean the developers can't buy the extra height with extra community benefits, or does that mean they get all the height they could ever ask for?

A new dumber than fudge comment from the Ford administration

Toronto Star - Ford chief of staff had security remove senior official from boardroom, fired him

"Kouvalis – “We have a big office, we’ve got big files. We’ve done more than Miller did in like seven years in a month and a half."

Wow ... Nick Kouvalis is either the biggest liar in the history of Ontario politics - or if he actually believes this then he is the stupidest liar in the history of Ontario politics.

A new dumber than fudge comment from the Ford administration

Toronto Star - Ford chief of staff had security remove senior official from boardroom, fired him

"Kouvalis – “We have a big office, we’ve got big files. We’ve done more than Miller did in like seven years in a month and a half."

Wow ... Nick Kouvalis is either the biggest liar in the history of Ontario politics - or if he actually believes this then he is the stupidest liar in the history of Ontario politics.

He is just as full of himself as Ford is.

They (Edsel and friends) seem to want to spend a lot of their time on undoing everything Miller did.

Or, *talking* about undoing everything, rather.

Once again, I'm wondering if we're facing a scenario where Flounder flops his way out of the mayoralty and somebody like Michael Thompson (*not* Doug Ford) steps in to "do the Ford agenda right", or something...

I'm getting a little ticked off with all this bitching about Ford. It's not like Miller did much. He can sit and talk about the new streetcars but it's easy to do when you aren't paying for them.
This is the guy that had no trouble letting the city become a dump by letting the garbage pile up because he wouldn't say boo to his union buddies.He took credit for balancing the books which had nothing t do with him but rather Queen's Park by uploading some services. He s so proud of getting the City of Toronto Act to o things like extending drinking hours but no progress there. For all bitching abut needing o control the city's destiny he did nothing with it.
He was so proud of TC but Torontonians never really took to the idea but that was irrelevant , it a going ahead regardless.He kept saying the people wanted but I don't recall a plebesite, Hell, it was not even voted on in City Hall.
Do I like Ford? No but he has only been in power for 3 months.

Totally factual, well-reasoned post. Just a few corrections:

1. The new streetcar deal is in fact being paid for by the city. They did indeed try to get the feds to pay for them, but the response was, and I'm quoting, "Fuck Off."

2. The garbage piled up because the mayor did say 'boo' to his union buddies. Generally unions don't strike when they get everything they want. The union ultimately agreed to the city's compromise offer, giving up bankable sick days for new employees, and returned to work.

3. One of the big successes of the Miller era was finding a new landfill site for Toronto's garbage. We no longer truck our garbage to Michigan, and politicians have stopped floating the idea of just burning all of it. So that's something.

4. The city barely balanced its books most years, so I'm not sure why anyone would be crediting Miller with that. The push to get the province to upload services and restore operating funding for things like the TTC is the most important issue facing our city.

5. The City of Toronto Act was about allowing the city to diversify its revenue streams so not everything came purely on the backs of property tax. This was wildly unpopular but objectively it still seems kind of reasonable. Nobody really said anything about drinking hours.

6. Transit City was the subject of several votes in City Council, all of them approved.

7. Ford has been in power for only two months.

The Fords are in it up to their knees and in a year's time they'll be in it to their eyebrows. I don't ever see them shovelling themselves out of it.

Why is Doug Ford acting as if he was the deputy mayor, or at times the mayor? Could he be the real power behind the throne?

Thats what most of you so called center-lefties would like to see,:eek: but i doubt that..:D

Really? He has been a councillor for how long? Harping about waste and gravy trains for how long? Yet when his moment finally comes he defers for a year. What has he been doing all this time if not identifying what to cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back