News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The conservatives will present just one; so there's no point in progressives splitting the voters' attention, focus and ballots.

Given the hot potato Ford is, why will it inevitably be "just one", presuming that "one" is Ford?

And in that case, why frame it as strictly "conservatives" vs "progressives"? After all, it may be a *moderate* sneaking up the middle in the end...

I wonder what Olivia Chow's frame of mind will be in 2 years? Maybe she'll want a change of scenery and return to local politics (i.e. Mayor candidate), One can dream...

There could also be a draft John Tory movement likely orchestrated by the conservative elite who are tired of the Fords' incompetence and myopic vision.

Being an incumbent, Rob Ford could have an easy time winning the next mayoralty election. The problem in the 2010 election that there were 40 candidates for mayor, splitting the vote. The main opposition was split mainly between George Smitherman (35.607%) and Joe Pantalone (11.73%). Rob Ford got 47.114%, with Smitherman/Pantalone getting 47.337%, and the rest among 37 other candidates. Even candidates who dropped out late in the campaign got some votes (IE. Rossi with 0.616%).

What is needed to have only one candidate on the ballet at election to oppose Ford. Which means listening to survey polls and acting accordingly. Don't personally like that, but better than having a group of candidates splitting the vote.

Too bad that we don't have Instant Runoff Ballots or Ranked-Choice Voting. Just indicate your 1st choice, 2nd choice, etc. at election time. The first with 50%+1 wins. Even in party politics, the parties might not have to merge.

Last edited:
I don't know. The previous mayor of Ottawa came in, blew up a fully funded light rail plan, and then embarked on a scheme to turn public land into a shopping complex. And then the Ottawa voters threw him in the canal. I've honestly forgotten his name for the moment.

I don't know. The previous mayor of Ottawa came in, blew up a fully funded light rail plan, and then embarked on a scheme to turn public land into a shopping complex. And then the Ottawa voters threw him in the canal. I've honestly forgotten his name for the moment.
Larry O'Brien - he got 47.1% in 2006 with the other main candidates getting 36.3% and 15.6% (sound similar to Toronto 2010). In 2010 O'Brien got only 24.1% with the winner getting 48.7% and 3 other main candidates getting over 24.3% between them. The winner,former mayor and Ontario cabinet minister Jim Watson, was well known. Perhaps that's what it takes.

But really ... we're 2 years away from having to have this discussion. If Ford continues to screw up in ways I don't think any Toronto mayor ever has in the last century, then he's quite beatable. If he get's his act together, stops acting like a spoiled child, and achieves something major other than lining the nest of the 905 developers who contributed to his campaign ... then he's not.

There were plans to pave paths on top the Bluffs to complete gaps in the Waterfront Trail, but these were set aside at the last council meeting at the request of local Councillor Crawford (it's the only thing I've seen him do aside from the stupid painted bike initiative). If less is done in the suburbs, perhaps it's because the residents are so quick to oppose anything that may open their area to people from away.
It was curious, but a lot of people in this area were dead set opposed to adding the paved paths. I found this very perplexing, so I asked. They complained it would mean there would be more people using the path.

Oh the humanity! I certainly would use it more, because I personally would rather walk on a paved path than through 3 inches of mud in the spring.

This type of knee-jerk opposition is EXACTLY like what I experienced way back when, when I said building a bridge to the island airport would be a good thing. I lived in the area, it seemed so many of my neighbours thought this type of progress would lead to the death of west downtown civilization or something. I just couldn't understand it.

The neighbours now like to use it as a semi-private off-leash dog run. I'm fine with walking on dirt, but I hate it when some aggressive looking beast comes tearing round a corner with no owner in site. This is off-topic, but I find many of our parks are under occupation by dog owners, despite the money spent building fenced playgrounds for their pets.

It's the same reason why there are residents against allowing basement apartments in what are normally single-family homes. Until they are unemployed and could now use the rent money coming in to help pay for the utilities, property taxes, and mortgage.

I would love to see Kristyn Wong-Tam go for mayor, she seems to be pro-development and progress in the city.

However I don't know if she would get the suburban votes.

Surprisingly, she could, maybe because she knows how to play that Laytonian universalizing "positive/constructive politics" game--more so than Adam Vaughan, I suspect...

I have heard Vaughan is the early popular candidate.

I don't think Toronto will swing to the left in the next election. People are going to be looking for a reasonable centre candidate who can work with others. Vaughan comes across as condescending to people who don't share his ideas. I happen to share many of those ideas but Adam Vaughan doesn't seem to me that he can win in outer Toronto. I'd be more likely to support Josh Matlow or Kristyn Wong-Tam, though Shelly Carroll is the most experienced and probably the most qualified to run for Mayor.

An early Ford implosion -- like the one we might be seeing now -- opens the door to a centre-right candidate like Michael Thompson or Karen Stintz. Look at how Thompson subtly positioned himself on the waterfront issue: after the Fords got everyone angry with a crazy plan, he was the one who sat down with all the players and brokered a consensus everyone can back.

Stuff like that will connect with voters in 2014. It's too bad Thompson wouldn't make a very good mayor, because he's got a good shot at it.

I don't think Toronto will swing to the left in the next election. People are going to be looking for a reasonable centre candidate who can work with others.

Your're right: in the event that Ford flames himself out of office midterm, his successor might well be "reasonable centre" enough to win the next election--well, practically anyone'd be "reasonable centre candidate" compared to the Fords...

Has that ever happened in modern times? Has a Mayor left office mid term? I don't think Ford would do it voluntarily, so the only mechanism for this to happen would be if Ford broke a law and got jail time. Sadly (yet satisfyingly), when you think of this Mayor of Toronto, that's not a far fetched idea.

Back