News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's demonstrably insane to build a completely underground LRT along Eglinton. Since construction hasn't started, might it be possible to get Ford to agree to the original plan to run the suburban sections aboveground, in exchange for applying the cost savings to extending the Sheppard subway? I know, I know, the Sheppard expansion doesn't make any sense, but Ford seems adamant about it and maybe this would be enough of an incentive for him to stand down on burying all of Eglinton.

Elevated? Maybe. Trenched? Possibly. To the side of the road? Doubtful. In the middle of the road? Never.

It's demonstrably insane to build a completely underground LRT along Eglinton. Since construction hasn't started, might it be possible to get Ford to agree to the original plan to run the suburban sections aboveground, in exchange for applying the cost savings to extending the Sheppard subway? I know, I know, the Sheppard expansion doesn't make any sense, but Ford seems adamant about it and maybe this would be enough of an incentive for him to stand down on burying all of Eglinton.

That's exactly what Metrolinx offered him during the negotiations that took place in the beginning of this year. He rejected the offer.

Elevated? Maybe. Trenched? Possibly. To the side of the road? Doubtful. In the middle of the road? Never.

The side-of-road option should be considered for the section between Leslie and Don Mills. There might be engineering complexities (West Don river valley crossing and the CPR underpass), but no houses or side streets to deal with.

The side-of-road option should be considered for the section between Leslie and Don Mills. There might be engineering complexities (West Don river valley crossing and the CPR underpass), but no houses or side streets to deal with.

The West Don is as simple as widening the existing Eglinton Avenue bridge. Tunnelling through the CPR embankment is a bit more challenging, but still not too tough. this could also put the Don Mills Station in the Science Centre parking lot on the SW, which further reduce disruption and cost (compared to tunnelled under Eglinton). Getting from Don Mills to the East side of the East Don is a more difficult matter.

I don't understand. If this line is to be underground, why not make it a RT (subway) line? Since you're building the tunnels anyway, going from LRT to RT probably wouldn't cost much more, and it is an efficient, long-term solution.

8 billion+ for a LRT line just baffles me.

I don't understand. If this line is to be underground, why not make it a RT (subway) line? Since you're building the tunnels anyway, going from LRT to RT probably wouldn't cost much more, and it is an efficient, long-term solution.

8 billion+ for a LRT line just baffles me.

Are the LRT cars already ordered?

Yes, the LRT cars are already ordered and brilliantly they are completely different from the LRT cars ordered for the city routes and are being built to run on a different gauge of track than the current streetcar and subway network. The Eglinton vehicles will only work on the Eglinton line and no other existing TTC vehicles will be able to run on the new line. This means that even maintenance vehicles the TTC owns currently will not be able to service the new tunnels. They could have used the same gauge which would have given them the operational flexibility to use some of the maintenance vehicles they already have and allow city LRTs to supplement service when required. They could have used high platform LRTs to allow a more easy migration to subway and reduce costs but instead low floor LRTs are being used even though there will be zero benefit to being close to the ground since there will be no on street platforms. We are setting things up for maximum inflexibility with what we already have. With the TTC operating the only LRT / subway network in the GTA they could have made TTC gauge the GTA gauge and since the same factory that makes TTC gauge subways and TTC gauge city LRTs is most likely to build the other vehicles made for the GTA, the quantities ordered by the TTC would outweigh the numbers purchased by other systems in Ontario, and the GTA transit agencies typically don't buy any used equipment and use their equipment until they are at the end of their service life there are virtually no benefits to standard gauge on Eglinton. Nothing about the end result on Eglinton makes any sense... nothing.

That said, tracks aren't laid yet and the company that makes the LRTs is the same company that makes the subways so if Metrolinx smartened up nd had a plan that either used LRTs as LRTs or subways as subways and attempted a deal they might be able to make one.

Well currently vehicle deliveries are scheduled to begin just less than a year from now... the Sheppard LRT cars (along with the Finch cars) were never canceled.

Aside from all the issues of the LRT being underground and vehicles being of different gauge, what worries me about the Eglinton LRT is that the general public will make it the scapegoat for all things TTC -- maybe they'll avoid it (like Sheppard) or curse it's existence (like St. Clair), when in fact its a rapid transit line that's been needed for a while.

Yes, the LRT cars are already ordered and brilliantly they are completely different from the LRT cars ordered for the city routes and are being built to run on a different gauge of track than the current streetcar and subway network. The Eglinton vehicles will only work on the Eglinton line and no other existing TTC vehicles will be able to run on the new line. This means that even maintenance vehicles the TTC owns currently will not be able to service the new tunnels. They could have used the same gauge which would have given them the operational flexibility to use some of the maintenance vehicles they already have and allow city LRTs to supplement service when required. They could have used high platform LRTs to allow a more easy migration to subway and reduce costs but instead low floor LRTs are being used even though there will be zero benefit to being close to the ground since there will be no on street platforms. We are setting things up for maximum inflexibility with what we already have. With the TTC operating the only LRT / subway network in the GTA they could have made TTC gauge the GTA gauge and since the same factory that makes TTC gauge subways and TTC gauge city LRTs is most likely to build the other vehicles made for the GTA, the quantities ordered by the TTC would outweigh the numbers purchased by other systems in Ontario, and the GTA transit agencies typically don't buy any used equipment and use their equipment until they are at the end of their service life there are virtually no benefits to standard gauge on Eglinton. Nothing about the end result on Eglinton makes any sense... nothing.

That said, tracks aren't laid yet and the company that makes the LRTs is the same company that makes the subways so if Metrolinx smartened up nd had a plan that either used LRTs as LRTs or subways as subways and attempted a deal they might be able to make one.

Exactly. I sometimes wonder why they do that. My cynical side wants to think it's intentional union job creation. It could be political. The whole, appease the 'subway' enthutiast by putting in infrastructure to have 'subways' in the future (which will never happen when it's above ground) but still maintain the LRT /street car image.

Partisan politics... ugh

I also don't understand why they can't have part of the 'subway' above ground and part below. The yonge line is surfaced as downtown as rosedale/davisville/st.clair stations.

They can easitly go above ground from laid then back down after passing hte don valley, before that hill by Victoria Park.

Last edited:
Aside from all the issues of the LRT being underground and vehicles being of different gauge, what worries me about the Eglinton LRT is that the general public will make it the scapegoat for all things TTC -- maybe they'll avoid it (like Sheppard) or curse it's existence (like St. Clair), when in fact its a rapid transit line that's been needed for a while.

Have you taken the shepperd subway lately? I find that 'transit' enthusiasts generally live within the old city limits and rarely venture out to the inner burbs. Shepperd and Donmills station have become a traffic 'hub'.

FWIW the Eglinton line was already the 4'th most expensive project in Canada before Ford put it all underground. So it's not like we've taken a $5 steak sub, and turned it into a $200 kobe beef filiet mignon.

IIRC the original plan was still going to cost in the neighborhood of $4-6 Billion.

***Edit***
Also in reply to JS97 and EnviroTO. Pittsburgh's Streetcars actually have dual doors. Low floor doors for boarding at smaller "on street" stops, much like our current streetcars and planned LRT and... High floor doors for major controlled access stations such as transfer points, busy stations, but also the portion of their network that runs underground like a subway. This may have been the solution for Eglinton.

Last edited:
Yes, the LRT cars are already ordered and brilliantly they are completely different from the LRT cars ordered for the city routes and are being built to run on a different gauge of track than the current streetcar and subway network.

As has been covered many times here before, the Transit City cars have more than enough differences besides the track gauge to make them incompatible with the rest of the existing network. And the system itself is different enough to preclude using the legacy system cars on it.

The Eglinton vehicles will only work on the Eglinton line and no other existing TTC vehicles will be able to run on the new line. This means that even maintenance vehicles the TTC owns currently will not be able to service the new tunnels.

In the case of high-rail vehicles, that is not true. For other equipment you are right, but then again the TTC likely won't need things like tampers and tie replacement equipment on the Eglinton Line. And the rail grinders which they rent are multi-gauge-capable, so won't be an issue.

They could have used the same gauge which would have given them the operational flexibility to use some of the maintenance vehicles they already have and allow city LRTs to supplement service when required.

Was any potential savings from being able to use existing maintenance equipment - for which there will be no rail connection anyways - really worth the potential additional expense of going with non-standard revenue vehicles? Shouldn't the revenue vehicles dictate the maintenance equipment and not the other way around?

They could have used high platform LRTs to allow a more easy migration to subway and reduce costs but instead low floor LRTs are being used even though there will be zero benefit to being close to the ground since there will be no on street platforms.

If you look at the current Eglinton Line independent of any previous plans, than yes, you are correct. Taken in the context of the whole Transit City system, however, high-floor platforms and cars are a non-starter for a variety of reasons.

We are setting things up for maximum inflexibility with what we already have. With the TTC operating the only LRT / subway network in the GTA they could have made TTC gauge the GTA gauge and since the same factory that makes TTC gauge subways and TTC gauge city LRTs is most likely to build the other vehicles made for the GTA, the quantities ordered by the TTC would outweigh the numbers purchased by other systems in Ontario, and the GTA transit agencies typically don't buy any used equipment and use their equipment until they are at the end of their service life there are virtually no benefits to standard gauge on Eglinton. Nothing about the end result on Eglinton makes any sense... nothing.

Again, context. They are still migrating from the old plan to a new one - which will also include redoing the EA for east of Brentcliffe (at the very least). If they decide to go back to the original EA concept, with surface running east of Brentcliffe, all of a sudden those vehicles wouldn't look so out of place, would they?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yes, the LRT cars are already ordered and brilliantly they are completely different from the LRT cars ordered for the city routes and are being built to run on a different gauge of track than the current streetcar and subway network.

I am sure that Rob Ford will be blamed for all decisions related to the Eglinton LRT. I think the change to fully grade seperated was made early enough that different vehicles could have been ordered.

I imagine that Ford does know the difference between low floor LRT, ICTS or HRT, nor should he. What Ford wanted was underground transit across Eglinton. This is a political decision - right or wrong, many people voted this way. I believe it is was assumed that side-of-road, or trenched construction is acceptable since it already exsits on YUS and B-D - what he really wanted was a seperated transit line. The choice of vehicle is a technical issue that Metrolinx and TTC are resposible for determining. I don't think Ford needs to get involved in thses technical issues. I hope he does not need to decide the tunnel wall thickness or amount of steel reinforcement.

It appears that Metrolinx and TTC are ignoring the underground LRT, assuming it will never get built. They believe that Ford will be gone in 3 years time and then they can revert back to Transit City. However, if Ford wins again, or if they can't delay the EA process for Eglinton East, we will be stuck with the wrong type of transit.

Have you taken the shepperd subway lately? I find that 'transit' enthusiasts generally live within the old city limits and rarely venture out to the inner burbs. Shepperd and Donmills station have become a traffic 'hub'.

Well I live in Woodbridge and have been on the Sheppard Subway once when I went to see my mom, she works at Bayview and Cummer and I was already downtown. So no, I haven't really been on it, but just by reading message boards and blogs, it seems that outside of the rush hour that the Sheppard line is a ghost town aside from the two stations you mentioned.

Back