Am finding myself wondering what Harry Stinson is thinking when he reads about this project, if anything.

I'm wondering the same thing. Probably still bitter that things went south with Mirvish over 1 King. A little OT but Stinson was the last developer to propose a 90-storey tower in the city: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/committees/te/te051115/it012.pdf

These towers would likely meet the same fate as the Stinson proposal without the political support of Adam Vaughan.

populations are constantly growing world wide. more and more people are being born every day and theres a trend to have more then two or three kids with families rhese days. give it time. these unsold units will be filled soon enough.

It's not money that he lacks- it's mega-condo development expertise.

You need someone like Daniels involved here.

It's not Daniels. It's Project Core. They co-originated the real estate development activities for 1 King West while Stinson was the public face and marketeer. David Mirvish might also have a controlling stake in the company. He's keeping it in-house.

I can't help but wonder what triggered this development now? This condo boom we've been experiencing has been going on for many years now and the Mirvish's have owned their land for many years - Why did they wait until the boom began to peter out to announce this massive project?

Like they say, timing is everything. I'll certainly cross my fingers for this magnificent project.

Given the location and the iconic architect - it is likely this project will steal much of the thunder and purchasers from dozens of other (potentially struggling) projects.

I can't help but wonder what triggered this development now? This condo boom we've been experiencing has been going on for many years now and the Mirvish's have owned their land for many years - Why did they wait until the boom began to peter out to announce this massive project?

Like they say, timing is everything. I'll certainly cross my fingers for this magnificent project.

Given the location and the iconic architect - it is likely this project will steal much of the thunder and purchasers from dozens of other (potentially struggling) projects.

depends also on how much they're charging and size of units too.

If you want _______ get on the subway.. lol. All your daily conveniences a short 15 minute commute away..

Sometimes things which are completely free aren't right at your fingertips.
But, if you're willing to pay for your books there's an Indigo around the corner.

I'm wondering the same thing. Probably still bitter that things went south with Mirvish over 1 King. A little OT but Stinson was the last developer to propose a 90-storey tower in the city: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/committees/te/te051115/it012.pdf

Stinson is a nut. If the Sapphire Tower was built, it would have been the biggest piece of regrettable architecture in the city. It would be iconic for all the wrong reasons. Controversy often follows Stinson and Sapphire Tower was never built for a number of reasons.

We're in a different time and place, with a respected developer/member of the community, and world-class architect and much more sophisticated design to back it up. There will be more public and media support, though the proposed heights will definitely scare some off.

Gehry's design for the podium is a little chaotic and out there. I wish it would be more restrained and elegant like the AGO.
So far the towers looks really interesting and has potential to be an incredible addition to our skyline. I think it needs to be tall for the proper impact and to set itself from the mass of 40- and 50-story towers being built in the ED, but I think 80+ stories is too tall for the area.

I'm really curious on the pricing and target demographics for these condo units. There is so much going on in the ED and the development is bookended by Festival Tower and Theatre Park Condo which are commanding some of the highest prices in the neighbourhood. It would be hard to imagine 2000 units of condos selling at $800+ sq.ft., starchitect or not.
Could the ED be the next Yorkville that many are predicting?

...The best solution would be to dismantle the heritage buildings and offer them to new developments. A perfect place would be just down the street at the Westinghouse building development. Or for any new developments west of spadina on king street. There are plenty of parking lots, the one next to Starbucks across from fashion house for example, that could use some elements to build up and retain the classic character of king st.

I can imagine some developer slowly looking up from his drawings when asked he he'd like to take on some old warehouse. 'Sure, just dump the bricks in North York, I'll come by to collect them soon.'

depends also on how much they're charging and size of units too.

Perhaps, but if I was choosing between a building designed by Ghery or a building designed by some "also-ran" I'd spend a few extra dollars to have a unit Ina an iconic building designed by an internationally renowned architect - absolutely.

Last edited:
One can always tell when the real estate market is about to hit its zenith just as the mega projects begin to be announced.

Have to say these sorts of thoughts have crossed my mind as well. It's frequently observed that many (but not all) development market crashes/"corrections" have been immediately preceded by the largest and most audacious projects being proposed on increasingly shaky spec. Sometimes the project is at least far enough underway when the bottom falls out and it makes it (the Empire State Building being perhaps the most famous global example, the Burj Khalifa was similar) but other times you just wind up with some content for a future edition of Unbuilt Toronto.

It's undeniable that the scale of Toronto proposals keeps marching ever-grander (50 Bloor, other rumblings from Yorkville, assumptions about what'll happen on the Toronto Star lands) when the numbers show the market softening. If we take Mirvish at face value, he's clearly feeling bullish, but we're seeing some of the more established condo players starting to ease off on the accelerator (for example, the three tall Harbour Street proposals all quietly sliding down a few floors).

The other possibility is the proponents are using the full Mirvishplex vision is a bit of a best-case-scenario distraction and are actually being far more conservative in their vision than the official public line indicates. Mirvish will roll the dice on the first phase by the Royal Alex (which on its own is a pretty bold but not-outlandish one-tower proposal), taking full advantage of the hype for the whole grandiose package, but knowing full well that the market in four years' time may look quite different. Then, and only then, would he commit to really crossing the Rubicon on the two-tower megablock and replacing the Princess of Wales with a museum.

Last edited:
Another key thought on this grand project is the undeniable fact that this project will have a greater international appeal given the connection to Ghery and the scale of the project. Cutting it down into "bite size" pieces or phases will reduce this.

I was one of the original members of this forum. It's remarkable how things have changed in the past decade or so. At the time a 50 storey tower would be a big deal. Something like this would've been nearly unthinkable.

Well, I came here to post the article from BlogTO thinking it might actually be new news, and here I find 10 pages in just 24 hours.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/09/frank_gehry_and_david_mirvish_to_transform_king_west/

There's the letter from Mirvish regarding the announcement, and yes it appears this plot will be offered as a fresh slate to Gehry. The building that houses Dunn's would be a big loss in my opinion, but I can stomach it if this project is truly exemplary.

syn:

A 50s barely raises an eyebrow now, and frankly it's a good thing that we can afford to be critical instead of just lapping up every project that comes along.

egotrippin:

UT member golodhendil is in all likelihood the one who broke the project to the public.

AoD

Last edited:

Back