I am curious about the proposed Mirvish Museum. I have been trying to find out more about David Mirvish's modern art collection by looking online, and while it is clear that it is considered one of the top private modern art collections in the world, I have been unable to locate any details about what exactly is included in it, other than the fact that portions of it are regularly sent on tour to various premier art museums around the world.

The fact that admission to what is one of the best modern art collections in Canada, perhaps the world, is expected to be free, is surely cause for celebration.

This project will be a perfect addition to the entertainment district - too bad it doesn't include a theatre.

F1226A36-AC00-4569-8EA8-963989FA7FE0-464-0000002D48C729E6.jpg

ahhh... apple maps are just too cool :D!!!!

3 to 7 years before completion? 7 years minimum. No way this entire project will be completed in 3.

and ya, I don't see these being complete until 2020 at the least (if they go up all at once).

as for the podium, i'm on the fence...it kinda looks pretty wacky.. kinda like the world trade center performing arts center concept

WTCpac.jpg

* and ya, the more i see the plans for the Entertainment district in the future, these tower's aren't so horribly out of place. although I would like a redesign for the towers and podium, as well as some height variation between the 3... (also, the middle tower looks awkward since the design of the other 2 towers is relatively the same)... I also don't like the stacked box design that we've seen too much of in Toronto (though none have actually been built)

Last edited:
small piece on the 680news website....

"The three iconic residential towers, each with a different form, façade and use of materials, will be: a slender and highly articulated tower beside the Royal Alex; and on the block bordered by King, Pearl, Ed Mirvish Way and John Street, a stacked, slatted L-shaped tower and a translucent tri-winged tower," Mirvish said in a letter.

"These towers are so distinct, so striking, that I think of them as sculptures by one of the greatest artists of his generation."

I am sure we will learn a lot more tomorrow.......:)

I really like the project but I really dislike tearing down these properties. The best solution would be to dismantle the heritage buildings and offer them to new developments. A perfect place would be just down the street at the Westinghouse building development. Or for any new developments west of spadina on king street. There are plenty of parking lots, the one next to Starbucks across from fashion house for example, that could use some elements to build up and retain the classic character of king st.

The fact that all three towers are almost the same height (the middle tower looks slightly taller than the two flanking towers, but not by a lot) has to be a deliberate decision by Gehry. Unlike the examples of twin towers seen far too often in Toronto, from the Infinity buildings to 501 Yonge, these three towers are not identical in any way other than height, so it is not simply a copy-paste of one design done to save money.

When I think about it, having three very tall towers, of almost identical height, right next to each other in a line, will be VERY eye-catching from almost anywhere in Toronto west of the CBD. It would be unlike anything else on the skyline, sort of like a giant fork pointing upwards. Perhaps Frank Gehry had decided on this configuration from the start, for that reason?

cQynz.jpg

Last edited:
Does this give the city enough taxes for a downtown relief line or only enough for the meetings about it? It feels like a waste to sit these megaprojects on hundred year old infrastructure. It's not keeping pace and imo will harm the community. This neighbourhood doesn't even have a public library anymore.

These building - meaning their occupants - will contribute their fair share of taxes, just like the rest of us. Some of these revenues will go towards infrastructure. Dont blame the Mirvishes if there aren't any libraries. If you want free books get on the subway! Or go visit the Free art gallery they are contributing.

Everything in life is a trade, give up something, get something. I'd take this trade all day long.

I could see this getting started fairly quickly if in fact a lot of work has already been done in the background with Counsellor Vaughn.

Last edited:
If you want _______ get on the subway.. lol. All your daily conveniences a short 15 minute commute away..

i guess this bldg./theater that was built in 1993 is sentimental to many
Nobody forced them to call it after Diana. No doubt the Star will call Buck House to find out whether Wills and Harry are devastated by this "slight".

Am finding myself wondering what Harry Stinson is thinking when he reads about this project, if anything.

I really like the project but I really dislike tearing down these properties. The best solution would be to dismantle the heritage buildings and offer them to new developments. A perfect place would be just down the street at the Westinghouse building development. Or for any new developments west of spadina on king street. There are plenty of parking lots, the one next to Starbucks across from fashion house for example, that could use some elements to build up and retain the classic character of king st.

Good idea. King Street has a very unique character - as great as this project seems, I want that character to be retained and enhanced.

When it comes to "heritage" and all that, this may be the ultimate landmark of the post-Rem Koolhaas "Cronocaos" era, i.e. it's practically a critique of half a century of heritage obsession. (And in a way, the disposal of the Princess of Wales is a part of all that, i.e. the theatre as good-mannered-to-an-anticlimactic-fault, and in the end, a timid product of its Fukuyama-end-of-history time. Don't mind me; just projecting what's in the minds of the project's creators.)

i would assume mirvish .... it's not like they don't have the money

It's not money that he lacks- it's mega-condo development expertise.

You need someone like Daniels involved here.

As an aside it's really too bad that there are 20,000 current unsold units lingering and piling up on the market now that will need to be absorbed before something of this high calibre can get off the ground.

Back