so it's 14' for two floors and open to the below? So this means where the floors overlap they are 7'? I think this is a mistake. Maybe I am confused but I'm with interchange42, it should be at least 19'.

Building Maintenance Unit

Remember the question about how the L-Tower windows will be cleaned, especially the ones on the curved north face? I have been exchanging emails with Paul Belaskie at Ankor Engineering Systems Inc. They engineer, manufacture and install building facade access and safety systems across Canada, specializing in engineering systems that are required to provide workers with safe access to work areas where fall hazards and building maintenance are needed. Ankor Engineering is the sub-contractor at the L Tower. This is how Paul described to me the window cleaning solution for the L Tower:

"Simply put there will be a crane type Building Maintenance Unit (BMU) on the opposite side of the long curve. It will suspend a swing stage over the long curve. The swing stage will engage a special mullion strip (guide rails) that will draw the stage close to the building the entire length. The BMU will be similar to the one we used on Trump Toronto."

Paul now shared a drawing of the impressive L Tower BMU that they are going to install. He said it would be all right for me to post the drawing on UrbanToronto. Click on the image to enlarge it to full size.

Last edited:
As interesting as that sketch is, it really looks like the window cleaning boom will compromise the peak :(

As interesting as that sketch is, it really looks like the window cleaning boom will compromise the peak :(

I am sure it will be hidden from view (at least from street level) when not in use. I was looking for an image on the internet which visualizes my thinking. This is the closest I found (so far) in a Manntech brochure:

8185955958_5f0b0b717d_n.jpg

I am sure it will be hidden from view (at least from street level) when not in use. I was looking for an image on the internet which visualizes my thinking. This is the closest I found (so far) in a Manntech brochure:

SkyJacked, if you are seeing this, please share any info you may have on this subject!!

Wow! So that's how it is going to be done. Remarkable engineering.

Now the question on accumulating ice and snow falling..?

Time Macine

Udo, Skyjacked, and someMidTowner: You guys have really outdone yourselves lately with some jawdropping photos, videos, etc. I think you have made this one of UT's most popular threads, by a long shot. I suppose the L-tower itself deserves much of the credit, but you guys continue to deliver amazing pics and inspire newbies like me. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Thank you Razz. Your own pictures of the growing L Tower within the changing eastern Toronto skyline definitely add a lot to the popularity of the thread. I have taken the liberty to combine a dozen of your fantastic images into an animated "gif". I hope you don't mind. Keep the eye focused on the L Tower.

8185463769_f44bfea750_o.gif

Looks like with a retractable mass and boom it will sit right along the peak, maintaining the look. I'm worried whether it will be a covered opening or not. Could look odd, however it does bend back enough that unless you're viewing from say...BCE, you won't notice.

Thank you Razz. Your own pictures of the growing L Tower within the changing eastern Toronto skyline definitely add a lot to the popularity of the thread. I have taken the liberty to combine a dozen of your fantastic images into an animated "gif". I hope you don't mind. Keep the eye focused on the L Tower.

8185463769_f44bfea750_o.gif

Udo: Your contributions never cease to amaze and delight. Thanks!

Here are some pics taken at sunrise this morning...

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Last edited:
Design Studies

I asked Studio Daniel Libeskind if they could help us visualize how the building maintenance unit will be hidden from view when not in use. Here are the pictures they sent and allowed me to post under the premise of emphasizing that these are still design studies.

The first two are from a very old physical study model which established the idea of the slot just below the ridge. The third one is a more recent screen capture of the 3-d computer model. It’s not the final crane design, but it is close. You can see how it tucks down and out of the way. You would be able to see it of course if you were in another tall building because the slot is open, but it does not compromise the curvature or the peak/ridge line. It’s a big thing and Studio Libeskind has apparently gone to some pretty great lengths to make sure it works with the form.

Click on the pictures if you want to see them bigger.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Udo! Very informative pictures. Here is a shot from this morning:

HpNtM.jpg

That's how I was imagining they'd hide the crane, given then mast extending. Interesting to take on the angle, might play up the shape from certain vantage points, strengthening the curve.

Back