I suspect that this will become standard soon enough. I'm surprised it isn't already provided for under the building code.

The provincial government responded to this issue last year and convened an Expert Panel on Glass Panels in Balcony Guards. A report was submitted to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing and subsequently Ontario’s Building Code was amended in June 2012 to address the issue of balcony glass breaking on newly constructed buildings. The government adopted all of the recommendations of the Expert Advisory Panel on Glass Panels in Balcony Guards and made an emergency amendment to Ontario’s Building Code to provide requirements related to the design and installation of glass balcony guards, including the type of glass that can be used and how they can be framed. The new amendment came into force on July 1, 2012 and makes reference to a new Supplementary Standard SB-13, "Glass in Guards".

I do not know the details of the Shangri-La glass breakage, but it was approved and under construction prior to the building code amendments, so there is a good chance that those balcony guards may not be to the newer standards.

Our building codes have needed to be upgraded for the longest time but haven't. Developers are going to do the bare minimum.

Kind of a strange thing to say... The Ontario Building Code has a rigorous review cycle every five years. The provincial government just released all the details on the new updated code just a couple months ago - so I'm a little unclear on what you are referring to when you say it hasn't been "upgraded for the longest time". I'd suggest that debate and discussion on this forum is not well served when people make posts that are completely false.

A couple code implementation dates:
  • Jan 1, 2006 - Last eddition of Ontario Building Code
  • Jan 1, 2012 - new energy efficiency standards came into force (approximately a 35% increase over previous code cycle)
  • Nov 2, 2012 - Ontario Regulation 332/12 was filed to introduce the new Building Code
  • Jan 1, 2014 - Most of the new Ontario Building Code will come into force
  • Jan 1, 2015 - Certain other components of new code will come into force
  • Jan 1, 2017 - Next level of energy and water efficiency standards come into force making Ontario one of the leading jurisdictions in North America for water conservation & energy efficiency

From Queen

Attachments

• Shang.jpg
    Shang.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 659
Toronto condos no Shangri-La for unhappy B.C. buyers
Real-estate investors launch lawsuits against B.C. developer to overturn pre-sale contracts

By Glen KorstromTue Feb 12, 2013 12:01am PST

Developers, marketers and condominium buyers in B.C. are starting to feel ripples from the sinking Toronto condominium market.

Several B.C.-based buyers of units in Toronto’s prestigious 66-storey Living Shangri-La Toronto condominium tower have filed lawsuits in the Supreme Court of British Columbia to try to get out of their pre-sale contract commitments.

They argue that the pre-sale contracts they signed are unenforceable because the tower’s Vancouver-based developers and marketers failed to follow B.C. law when they sold the units, which are likely worth less today than when the contracts were signed.

Westbank and Peterson Group jointly developed the Shangri-La in Toronto after they completed a high-end tower with the same name in Vancouver.

The development team used many of the same real estate brokers to market units in both Shangri-La real-estate projects.

Toronto’s condo market, however, has been going sideways.

The average selling price for Toronto condominiums in 2012’s fourth quarter was $332,410 – down 1% compared with 2011’s fourth quarter, according to the Toronto Real Estate Board.

The consensus among industry insiders is that prices are likely to stay flat or fall slightly in 2013.

Buyers need prices to rise about 10% on their homes just to break even if they were to sell the units, noted Harper Grey LLP partner Bryan Baynham, who represents the complainants.

“You have to pay taxes. There’s a minimum of 5% GST and property transfer tax in Ontario,” Baynham said. “Then there are realtor fees. People forget, but property has to go up 10% before you can sell and break even.”

The legal strategy mirrors tactics real-estate investors used in October when 11 buyers of units at Vancouver’s upscale Residences at Hotel Georgia filed lawsuits against developer Georgia Properties Partnership seeking a court ruling that pre-sale contracts in that development are unenforceable.

Both projects were completed later than originally promised, and Baynham, who also represents Hotel Georgia buyers, alleged they were not given official notice of the delay.

He said B.C.’s Real Estate Development Marketing Act (REDMA) requires developers to tell buyers about project completion delays. However, what makes the Toronto Shangri-La development atypical, according to Baynham’s notices of civil claim, is that developers and marketers also breached REDMA by not disclosing the square footage of each buyer’s unit.

Baynham said that, while that disclosure is not required by Ontario law, it is required in B.C.

He alleges that marketers also contravened REDMA by failing to get buyers to sign documents to acknowledge that they had received disclosure documents.

“Not only does the disclosure statement have to be filed in B.C. but you also have to give it to the buyers and then get a signed receipt,” he said. “They failed to do that.”

Westbank and Peterson executives did not respond to Business in Vancouver’s interview requests by press time.

Their surrogate companies, 180 University Residential LP and 180 University Residential Inc., have filed one response to a civil claim. In that document, their defence claims that the person filing the suit, Christine Louise Kennedy, was not the party that entered into the contract: 2903 Shangri-La Ltd. Nowhere in the document do they claim to be in compliance with REDMA. •

Real estate lawsuits provide warning for developers

Cases where buyers are trying to get out of pre-sale contracts underscore the importance for developers to scrupulously follow B.C.’s Real Estate Development Marketing Act (REDMA).

Failure to do so can render sales contracts unenforceable and let buyers get their deposits back.

There are Vancouver precedents where buyers have successfully sued to get deposits back after a developer failed to disclose material information.

The BC Court of Appeal ruled last summer that when a developer breaches REDMA and does not disclose material facts, sales contracts are rendered “unenforceable.”

That case involved Soroor Essalat, who successfully sued 299 Burrard Residential Ltd. Partnership for the return of a deposit after she bought a unit at the Residences at the Fairmont Pacific Rim.

Essalat won her case because the developer similarly failed to notify the buyers when it knew that its September 2009 completion date could not be met.

“Everybody who bought a unit in that project could have got their deposit back if they’d wanted to [sue the developer], but most people didn’t know that they had that right,” Baynham said. “If they don’t know their rights, the developer is not going to tell them.”

http://www.biv.com/article/20130212...to-condos-no-shangri-la-for-unhappy-bc-buyers

Last edited:
Not as if my heart bleeds for developers, but that seems like some slimy stuff by the purchasers. Try to find any loop-hole that allows you to null the contract because you don't like the size of your return due to a slowing market. It's a sure bet: if the market holds up keep the unit and flip it, if not find some obscure reason for getting your deposit back and stick the developer with the loss.

Last edited:
Sounds like the bc laws protect the buyer better than in Ontario. We should synchronize since pretty much every condo project in Toronto gets delayed big time.

Not as if my heart bleeds for developers, but that seems like some slimy stuff by the purchasers. Try to find any loop-hole that allows you to null the contract because you don't like the size of your return due to a slowing market. It's a sure bet: if the market holds up keep the unit and flip it, if not find some obscure reason for getting your deposit back and stick the developer with the loss.

Agreed. People are very foolish with their money and don't understand what they are getting themselves into. I don't even understand how these people have a case or why they should. They signed a contract, and there are NEVER guarantees in the housing market.

Sounds like they bought it as an investment, with no intention of ever living in the unit and wanted out due to disatisfaction with the rate of return, using the techicality as an excuse. Sorry, don't have much sympathy for gamblers.

AoD

Oh man, how this is even wasting any courts time, I don't know. Seems so simple, don't overextend youself financially, and sit on investments until the market rises so you can sell with a profit. It is after all an investment, and I know most people lost a bit in investments the past few years and didn't sell it since the market was weak. It really is both sides looking for short term gains isn't it? I mean the developers are looking to sell quickly in a bull condo market, with little luxury supply, and plenty of demand, and hope they will make their nice profit within a few years. The buyers are looking to flip or rent mostly in a few years and pray the market demand goes up, supply stays the same, and therefore price goes up. They are both being straight up greedy; developers being a little sneaky with some of the details and the buyers see money signs and their greed apparently overwhelms their other senses.

Also Im not a lawyer, but do BC laws apply to ontario contracts? Does that mean if you bought in Toronto and lived in Shanghai, that applicable laws there would need to be stuck too? Seems to me like the buyers are reaching a bit, but maybe someone else would know that area of real estate law and could fill us in on their take.

One question, are there stories of this happening with other segments of the condo market in Toronto other than the luxury condo market? (So far only really read about Trump and now Shangri-la)

I really see no reason BC laws should come into play at all in this case, despite the fact that the same company built Shangri-Las in both Vancouver and Toronto. If I were a judge I'd throw this case out and make the people wasting the courts time pay for the developers' wasted time at the courts.

I really see no reason BC laws should come into play at all in this case, despite the fact that the same company built Shangri-Las in both Vancouver and Toronto. If I were a judge I'd throw this case out and make the people wasting the courts time pay for the developers' wasted time at the courts.

Supposedly the BC law applies because they were marketing and selling this project to buyers in BC.

What happens to sales that are made in China and marketed in China? I would think the sales contract would state which jurisdiction applies to the contract.

Back