News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with the first part. I think it is unbelievable that a city as diverse as Toronto (and where the diversity is constantly used to promote the city -- see Florida's article today) has only had mayors who are white British-descendants and almost exclusively males.

There is an undercurrent of racism here that is very disturbing. Immigrants are tolerated as long as they keep their mouths shut and don't challenge the hegemony of the old ruling class.
Nothing to do with racism. Please don't be an asshole and use that card without facts.

Will the press be following ford on his vacation. I assume they will send people more discreetly just incase he does something crazy they can report it. But if nothing bizarre happens they won't report anything claiming they gave the mayor his space. At this point the media are vultures and no one blames them but theybdont want to be perceived as vultures... Nbc is set up in city hall vs buying a local stations feed. That tells you how big this story is.

Just saw on CP24: a reporter asked Khattak's lawyer whether his client feels humiliated because he was pictured with the mayor of Toronto.

It's pretty obvious to me the Ford family is from the working class. The Ford brothers are classic Chavs. The mom looks like a stereotype of working class "high society."

This is not proper WASP behaviour ... :)

I think Mama Ford is basically Jackie Weaver in the movie Animal Kingdom.

Just saw on CP24: a reporter asked Khattak's lawyer whether his client feels humiliated because he was pictured with the mayor of Toronto.

And the fact that that question is totally appropriate and understandable to ask someone who was arrested during a huge gang raid is exactly why even if this was about just the substance abuse, or the erratic behaviour, it's a big deal.

Will the press be following ford on his vacation. I assume they will send people more discreetly just incase he does something crazy they can report it. But if nothing bizarre happens they won't report anything claiming they gave the mayor his space. At this point the media are vultures and no one blames them but theybdont want to be perceived as vultures... Nbc is set up in city hall vs buying a local stations feed. That tells you how big this story is.

it's only going to get bigger. Did rob ford save any taxes for me? I'm just wondering, his bro seems pretty adamant on this. Anyone care to fill me in?

... Nbc is set up in city hall vs buying a local stations feed. That tells you how big this story is.

Makes you wonder whether a US news org will dig into the possible-murder-of-Anthony-Smith angle and publish something without fearing Canada's overreaching libel laws.

Other than "Gino boy" (ironic considering many of Rob's closest friends are of Italian ancestry) and "Orientals"-work-like-dogs which I think he meant as a compliment in his own weird way has Rob Ford really ever said anything that would suggest he's racist? If anything he probably has a big electoral advantage over your typical politician who would be seen as being condescending and stiff compared to Ford. Can anyone picture many politicians past or present like David Miller, Stephen Harper, or John Tory dancing at Caribana? He's not afraid to make himself seem like he's "one of us"

As for his homophobia and refusal to attend PRIDE it likely increases his appeal in many quarters. The federal Conservatives made huge inroads in some ethnic communities by playing the "we share your traditional values unlike those godless hedonistic Liberals" card.

Who is this person on the live feed outside the mayor's office handing out papers and trying to talk to reporters? She doesn't look like another washed up wrestler...

I think it is unbelievable that a city as diverse as Toronto (and where the diversity is constantly used to promote the city -- see Florida's article today) has only had mayors who are white British-descendants and almost exclusively males.

There is an undercurrent of racism here that is very disturbing. Immigrants are tolerated as long as they keep their mouths shut and don't challenge the hegemony of the old ruling class.

Ah...but Toronto has been that "old ruling class" up until very recently. Toronto went from being the least diverse major city in the world to the most diverse in a very short period of time.

It takes a good generation or so before the new immigrant class has the ability to take it's place in top spots. That time is probably now, which is why Chow will probably do much better than advance polls are already indicating. She is indeed all those things quoted above, and a lot of the dopes that voted for Ford are going to come to their senses and see this.

The fact that Chow is NDP and considered "far left" by many isn't really a big danger if you don't really like too far left politics. We have a weak mayor system, and she can't really dictate policies Council doesn't want. But she will bring all those things to the table described above which have nothing to do with left or right, and everything to do with putting back some functionality and dignity to City Hall.

Who is this person on the live feed outside the mayor's office handing out papers and trying to talk to reporters? She doesn't look like another washed up wrestler...

I think a Ford supporter, perhaps not in the best mental health, who has come down to City Hall to defend him/shame the media for hassling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back