You would be even more disappointed to know the 1992 Mississauga BRT plans called for a totally grade separated trench running from Mavis Rd to Hurontario St, north of Rathburn Rd, and south of Centre View Dr.

http://www5.mississauga.ca/brt/BRT_june2004.pdf

That's the 2004 plan. The 1992 plan called for the transitway to be underground in MCC.

The long-term plan since 2004 is a below-grade transitway throughout, including the future stations at Churchill Meadows, Creditview, Square One, and Hurontario.

http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/schedules/roadtran.pdf

Note that a Mavis station is no longer even in the long-term plan.

Albert and Slater - Mississauga style!

(Though I don't see Mississauga and GO Transit schedules will ever be quite bad as a rush hour downtown Ottawa - with all the suburban express routes, the 90-series Transitway routes and the Clarence-Rockland and regional coaches clogging up.)

Albert and Slater - Mississauga style!

(Though I don't see Mississauga and GO Transit schedules will ever be quite bad as a rush hour downtown Ottawa - with all the suburban express routes, the 90-series Transitway routes and the Clarence-Rockland and regional coaches clogging up.)

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, I guess. I'd venture to say that within 20 years, grade separation within the MCC area will be on Metrolinx' priority list, because that stretch will be bottlenecking the rest of the route.

That's the 2004 plan. The 1992 plan called for the transitway to be underground in MCC.

The long-term plan since 2004 is a below-grade transitway throughout, including the future stations at Churchill Meadows, Creditview, Square One, and Hurontario.

http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/schedules/roadtran.pdf

Note that a Mavis station is no longer even in the long-term plan.

Based on today as built ROW, Hurontario, Mississauga Rd and Creditview stations will never be built. Even Sq One will never be built as proposed. Will require a new terminal to handle the BRT, GO Transit, LRT and local transit for 125,000 riders daily.

The retaining wall for the shelter along with parts of the new sidewalk will be remove this week and will be replace by a wider wall and new sidewalk next week.

The current goal is to get the shelter in operation by Christmas, subject to weather.

The amount of buses using this BRT will far less than Ottawa.

Yeah, obviously the busiest section of the BRT should not have the lowest capacity. That's Ottawa's mistake. I actually think mixed traffic operation would be better than the previous middle-of-the-road transitway plan, because buses can stop and bypass each other.

Of course, the on-street Rathburn transitway was only meant to be for the BRT short term, since it was actually the future ROW for the Hurontario-Main LRT. But that's gone so now I wonder what will happen to the LRT. OMERS will probably kill that too. The mayor and councillors only care about their corporate buddies.

Glorified shelters on Rathburn. Not even a bus lane, Oxford shot that down.

That is really too bad. This would have been much better than what we are currently getting:

Site_Aerial-1.jpg

http://www.mrc.ca/mrc_projects/rathburn-road-transit-priority-measures-project-mississauga-ontario/

Even if Oxford didn't want to reduce lanes on Rathburn, the city still has more than enough space in the ROW to make this happen without reducing lanes. I think it all came down to the cost at the end of the day.

Last edited:
That is really too bad. This would have been much better than what we are currently getting:

Even if Oxford didn't want to reduce lanes on Rathburn, the city still has more than enough space in the ROW to make this happen without reducing lanes. I think it all came down to the cost at the end of the day.

As if Oxford was going to pack up and leave. The city should have told Oxford where to stick it. Now Mississauga's replicating Albert and Slater.

Site_Aerial-1.jpg

http://www.mrc.ca/mrc_projects/rathburn-road-transit-priority-measures-project-mississauga-ontario/

That picture shows what would have been temporary stations and ROW for BRT. In the long term those bus lanes and platforms are for the Hurontario LRT. It was never meant to be the long-term solution for the BRT anyways. The long-term plan is even more expensive (completely grade-seperated).

The real question is what will happen to the LRT since OMERS/Oxford is more important than the people of Mississauga.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm that GO will be running buses from Kipling to Square One via the Transitway? I have always wanted a more express way to get from Kipling to my parents' place on Rathburn, even if it costs more.

According to this, the Guelph/Waterloo/Mississauga GO bus routes (25 and 29?) will operate on the transitway and serve Kipling.

BRT_Connections-640x400.jpg

And of course the 109 Meadowvale Express already provides express service between Square One and Kipling and will also be rerouted onto the transitway.

Can anyone confirm that GO will be running buses from Kipling to Square One via the Transitway? I have always wanted a more express way to get from Kipling to my parents' place on Rathburn, even if it costs more.

Have you factor in the time that it will take you to get to/from the transitway to/from your parent place by walking or using transit??

Unless they are picking you up/off at the transitway station, you are far better using 20 or 26 to get to your parents place than using GO.

Depending on the day and the time of day, GO service may not be as good as MT.

Until buses start operating from Kipling, its a guessing game as to travel time using the transitway. Then the buses must be using the 427 from Dundas St northbound, not like they do today.

Most of all, when will buses be running to Kipling based on the current issues with Hydro One and will it be in 2017 under current schedule. If so, it will be 2 years late as plan.

The new shelter at Sq One Terminal hasn't seen any work since before Christmas, other than rebuilt the retaining wall. Looks likes it maybe in service sometime in Feb at this rate.

I have said in the past and will continue to say, "OMERS" is the white elephant in the city core that is screwing the city over by refusing the ROW on Rathburn, location of a new terminal and most of all building the so call downtown for the city. Until the city has some balls to tell "OMERS" where to go over the transit issues as well the land use, the core will remain a core and poor land use.

According to this, the Guelph/Waterloo/Mississauga GO bus routes (25 and 29?) will operate on the transitway and serve Kipling.

BRT_Connections-640x400.jpg

And of course the 109 Meadowvale Express already provides express service between Square One and Kipling and will also be rerouted onto the transitway.

Thanks for the graphic. Will be interesting to see what their schedule is like (especially peak vs. off-peak). I am more interested in GO service because it seems likely they won't stop at every Transitway stop, so will be a quicker trip than Miway.

Back