I am just curious and cannot seem to find an answer anywhere:

The Georgetown south project is supposed to be (mostly) completed by 2015 for Pan Am, but when will we likely see 2 way all day GO train service on the Georgetown Corridor to Bramalea?

GO seems to be very tight lipped on development of the Big Move projects.

I am just curious and cannot seem to find an answer anywhere:

The Georgetown south project is supposed to be (mostly) completed by 2015 for Pan Am, but when will we likely see 2 way all day GO train service on the Georgetown Corridor to Bramalea?

GO seems to be very tight lipped on development of the Big Move projects.

There are no plans to introduce all day service after this project. There will be a few additional trains but no all day service and no plans for weekend service.

• Prior to the commencement of the work in the corridor, there were 19 GO Train trips per day (10 one way and 9 the other);
• To allow construction to proceed at speed, 6 trips (3 each way) were removed, leaving the line with 13 trips
• 1 trip (an additional morning eastbound trip) was added in when the line was extended to Kitchener bringing us to 14 an additional return trip was recently added bringing us to 16
• On opening day, the number will increase to "up to" 29 trips (10 one way and 9 the other)…..essentially, the return of the cancelled trip plus 5 return trips

http://goweb02.gotransit.com/gts/en/faqs/default.aspx (click on the Kitchener line "tab")

No one knows how seriously (if at all) the recent Golden Panel's recommendations will be taken but they suggested that this should be the last of the current GO lines with AD2W service with a delivery date of 2022/2023

http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Project-Costing-Jan-13-2014.pdf

Last edited:
There are no plans to introduce all day service after this project. There will be a few additional trains but no all day service and no plans for weekend service.

• Prior to the commencement of the work in the corridor, there were 19 GO Train trips per day (10 one way and 9 the other);
• To allow construction to proceed at speed, 6 trips (3 each way) were removed, leaving the line with 13 trips
• 1 trip (an additional morning eastbound trip) was added in when the line was extended to Kitchener bringing us to 14 an additional return trip was recently added bringing us to 16
• On opening day, the number will increase to "up to" 29 trips (10 one way and 9 the other)…..essentially, the return of the cancelled trip plus 5 return trips

http://goweb02.gotransit.com/gts/en/faqs/default.aspx (click on the Kitchener line "tab")

No one knows how seriously (if at all) the recent Golden Panel's recommendations will be taken but they suggested that this should be the last of the current GO lines with AD2W service with a delivery date of 2022/2023

http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Project-Costing-Jan-13-2014.pdf

Why the Richmond Hill line first? Its the least used line...

Why the Richmond Hill line first? Its the least used line...

If we're thinking from a regional network perspective...maybe to take some pressure off of Yonge Subway trips from York Region to avoid having to go for the Yonge North extension so soon?

Though I agree that Kitchener is potentially the most vital of the GO lines after the Lakeshores and should be way further up the priority list for AD2W service.

It's also the shortest and fastest to prepare.

How does the cost compare? Per km? Per rider? The Golden Panel shows, yes, it being done over 2 years but at a cost of $780 million. The KW line is more absolute dollars $1.13 billion, but may serve more people and do more to relieve congestion. Yes, something has to go first and something has to go last but I don't understand how they could recommend waiting till a year after RH was done to start the 5 years they say it will take to get KW ready for all day service (I also don't understand how KW needs another 5 years and $1.13 billion after the GTS is done....the line will be, at least, double tracked all the way to Mt. Pleasant in 2015 and it really seems like all day bidirectional service ran reasonably smoothly on Lakeshore under similar conditions for 40+ years).

How does the cost compare? Per km? Per rider? The Golden Panel shows, yes, it being done over 2 years but at a cost of $780 million. The KW line is more absolute dollars $1.13 billion, but may serve more people and do more to relieve congestion. Yes, something has to go first and something has to go last but I don't understand how they could recommend waiting till a year after RH was done to start the 5 years they say it will take to get KW ready for all day service (I also don't understand how KW needs another 5 years and $1.13 billion after the GTS is done....the line will be, at least, double tracked all the way to Mt. Pleasant in 2015 and it really seems like all day bidirectional service ran reasonably smoothly on Lakeshore under similar conditions for 40+ years).

They still need lay down track north of Mount Pleasant. Yes I think they are using absolute cost. Remember Milton will cost even more then that. And they still have to buy more track to bring service to Hamilton.

According the Golden Panel, the cost for Milton is $901 million.

I think that's highly optimistic and/or is just the cost of construction and doesn't include land expropriations/corridor purchase.

Or perhaps it's a single additional track with the occasional passing track instead of being double-tracked for the entire length, sufficient for hourly service in good weather.

Last edited:
A big chunk of the capital costs for AD2W is for expanded peak service as well, which requires building expensive yards. The track itself is very cheap from my understanding. Even then I feel Metrolinx has overestimated on the AD2W services, unless they are planning to add a lot of grade separations.

Stouffville will probably be the first to be built, it is very easy to build. only a few km of track, a couple bridge widenings, etc. It also has strong off peak ridership on the bus system currently, and is the only one having and EA done for it right now.

A big chunk of the capital costs for AD2W is for expanded peak service as well, which requires building expensive yards. The track itself is very cheap from my understanding. Even then I feel Metrolinx has overestimated on the AD2W services, unless they are planning to add a lot of grade separations.

Track is cheap provided you own the land; this the most challenging part of Milton service.

The cost of upgrading the Milton line to 4 tracks that includes a fly under at Lampton Yard as well new bridges is peg at $1.5B

There are a lot of land issues between Kipling and Cooksville stations. Then there is the issue at Mississauga Rd. One or 2 roads need to be close in Streetsville.

The line was originally to be 3 track and completed by 2011, but only 3 locations have 3 tracks today and haven't been used in years.

CP Will never sell this line and will stand pat on the 4 tracks requirement now.

No idea as to when or if CP has rebuilt the roadbed ground up since the line was first built in the 1800's. Track and ties have been replace as I watch them years ago doing this as well adding the 133lb rail to the line at Erindale station.

It is also time to look at more grade separation at a cost of +/- $25m per costing depending on the crossing. There are to be 2 separation to be done that I know of in Halton.

2023 is supposed to be the time frame for AD2W with work starting in 2015. Still need to do an EA for it that will modify the last one done in the 90's.

Back