They are moving FAST! At this rate, my lake view will be gone in a couple of months :(

f1dq4z.jpg

Seriously LNahid, start looking for the same unit in the building on a higher floor. Don't disappoint us!

Meanwhile, I got more up-close and personal with the ground level today.

AP1390102.jpg

New glass to check out in the following two:

BP1390106.jpg

CP1390105.jpg

Fly form being flown:

DP1390119.jpg

Okay, back to the retail. The space at the corner here is huge. The photos do not do it justice. Find the guardrails in the back of the third photo down. Those are, AFAIK, 42" or 3 1/2' or 1.1m high. That makes the space in there about 13m or 40' high, but who knows, we might lose a metre to a dropped ceiling.

EP1390120.jpg

F1BloorRetailPanoB.jpg

G1BloorRetailPanoA.jpg

Not so high, but still high at the south end, the concrete second floor is in place here.

HP1390121.jpg

J1BloorSWPano.jpg

I1BloorSWCrnrPanoC.jpg

Attachments

• AP1390102.jpg
    AP1390102.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,282
  • BP1390106.jpg
    BP1390106.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,271
  • CP1390105.jpg
    CP1390105.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,263
  • DP1390119.jpg
    DP1390119.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,265
  • EP1390120.jpg
    EP1390120.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,271
  • F1BloorRetailPanoB.jpg
    F1BloorRetailPanoB.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,367
  • G1BloorRetailPanoA.jpg
    G1BloorRetailPanoA.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,355
  • HP1390121.jpg
    HP1390121.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,277
  • I1BloorSWCrnrPanoC.jpg
    I1BloorSWCrnrPanoC.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,258
  • J1BloorSWPano.jpg
    J1BloorSWPano.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,254
Well, it's not going to win the Academy Award for editing. It looks like there's a fair bit of luck involved in getting those installed. Hooray for the happy ending!

No, there's a bit of skill involved, which the installers lack. Basic lesson from Curtainwall 101 is that you need to have the frames hanging plumb when you install them, or else it's physically impossible to get the interlocks to snap. You can see how they've rigged it that they're way off centre which in turn caused the frame to lean far forward which in turn led to seven grown men fumbling like a bunch of children to force the frame into position. But when you refuse to pay the going rate for labour that's the kind of work you get.

It drives me crazy because that's exactly the sort of thing that gets people hurt, too. It's just asking for someone to slip or get pinched or crushed or worse.

Which is sort of what I was getting at by indicating it seems luck was involved, as it certainly didn't look like a skilled group I hate to say.

Okay, back to the retail. The space at the corner here is huge. The photos do not do it justice. Find the guardrails in the back of the third photo down. Those are, AFAIK, 42" or 3 1/2' or 1.1m high. That makes the space in there about 13m or 40' high, but who knows, we might lose a metre to a dropped ceiling.

View attachment 26774

View attachment 26775

The height of the columns are 11.5m (almost 38'). There will be a steel floor installed at the second floor in this area, you can see the red painted locations for the steel beam connectors on the columns, and the ones on the underside of 3rd floor for the steel hangers at the slab edge to hang the cantilevered steel beams at 2nd from the 3rd floor concrete beams above.

They are moving FAST! At this rate, my lake view will be gone in a couple of months :(

They should move quick as almost the entire floor is covered with the truss panels that are already covered with plywood, this leaves very few and small areas to fill in between after landing the panels on the next floor. Enjoy your view of the lake while you still can... Also thanks for keeping the photo updates coming, the vantage point you have has been great.

Presumably the space could be divided with some sort of steel mezzanine, yes? The renders linked in the header don't make it look as if the protruding "first" floor overlooking Yonge is a concrete slab like the others above it. I don't see why this couldn't have been the plan from the beginning.

Original plans showed the second floor being completely concrete, similar to 3rd floor above, sometime early 2013 (April/May) the 2nd floor was revised to future installed steel framing floor, with concrete/composite steel deck on top to match 2nd floor beyond. There will be openings in this area for an escalator and small stair.

The height of the columns are 11.5m (almost 38'). There will be a steel floor installed at the second floor in this area, you can see the red painted locations for the steel beam connectors on the columns, and the ones on the underside of 3rd floor for the steel hangers at the slab edge to hang the cantilevered steel beams at 2nd from the 3rd floor concrete beams above.

So, to be clear, I'm providing this close-up of some of the red paint, as some people might confuse the smoothed-off former steel joists for being the paint.

P1390117.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing the final layout here, and how large the mezzanine space will be where the floors connect with stair and escalators. We're getting something dramatic here.

Attachments

• P1390117.jpg
    P1390117.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 928
Well looks like theyr'e doing about a floor every 1.5 weeks now that they're past the podium and have the forms built that they can slide in and out. .

Here's the footprint for the rest of the tower. May 22/14

photo.JPG

Well looks like theyr'e doing about a floor every 1.5 weeks now that they're past the podium and have the forms built that they can slide in and out. .

Here's the footprint for the rest of the tower. May 22/14

Nice shot hawc, first few floors will be a bit slow, won't know for sure the cycle time until they get going.

I noticed so far they have not installed the concrete pump, hoist elevator, or the self climbing elevator core, I'm interested to see when these will be installed (and if the self climbing core will be or not).

Back