That's a policy change though, not an infrastructure change. GO and the TTC could announce a co-fare agreement next week if they really wanted to, and have it implemented along with Presto.

That "policy change" would lead to a substantial increase in ridership, which would definitely require more infrastructure since GO is already at capacity.

It's pretty fair to say that a DRL would essentially replace all the ridership of the streetcar line it replaces. If it's built somewhere between King and Queen it would replace both and have 100,000 daily riders from those two routes alone.

Much of the streetcar ridership comes from local stops all along the route, and a subway is not going to completely replace that. Otherwise there would be no Marlee bus running right next to allen road, and no Sheppard east bus between Yonge and Don Mills.

Much of the streetcar ridership comes from local stops all along the route, and a subway is not going to completely replace that. Otherwise there would be no Marlee bus running right next to allen road, and no Sheppard east bus between Yonge and Don Mills.

At a certain point distance wise, "local" becomes a <5 min walk in most cases and walking becomes more convenient than transit.

If the stop spacing is similar to Bloor, you don't necessarily need a more local service, hence no bus on Bloor, or Yonge south of Eglinton. It's usually when stops are 1-2km apart like the examples you gave that you need a bus for local service.

much like the Yonge line through downtown, which still has a local bus that almost nobody uses. If you are using transit along yonge, even for short distances, chances are you are using the subway.

much like the Yonge line through downtown, which still has a local bus that almost nobody uses. If you are using transit along yonge, even for short distances, chances are you are using the subway.

I didn't even know there was a bus on Yonge downtown. It'll be interesting to see if they run a bus on Eglinton once the LRT opens. The stop spacing seems close enough that it isn't necessary, although even if they do it'll probably be one every 30 min or something.

route 97. ridership figures for it look surprisingly OK, but most of that is from the section from Sheppard to Eglinton where there are only subway stops every 2km and a lot of people along yonge are forced to use the bus to get to the subway. Even during peak times, I will see the bus go by around Dundas and it has maybe 10 people tops on it.

I've seen that bus a few time too near Yonge & Dundas. I can't figure out why anyone would take it when there's a subway right under there.

I've seen that bus a few time too near Yonge & Dundas. I can't figure out why anyone would take it when there's a subway right under there.

those who are too lazy to change for the subway and for whom time is not important at all.
I think the section south of Eglinton, or at least St Clair should be cut.

Listen Union should only be the interchange if they/us/people cannot decide on whether to use King or Queen Or Richmond for the DRL. I don't want to dig up union again but I think they would do that.

I work at Yonge/Shuter and live and Yonge/Bloor and would always choose the 97 over the subway when leaving work at 5pm in the winter. It actually ends up being faster than the subway, where you often have to wait 2 or 3 trains before you can get on. Also, you actually get a seat on the bus.

I didn't even know there was a bus on Yonge downtown. It'll be interesting to see if they run a bus on Eglinton once the LRT opens. The stop spacing seems close enough that it isn't necessary, although even if they do it'll probably be one every 30 min or something.
Not 100% sure, but I believe they plan on running buses from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy Station every 15 minutes.

I imagine people with claustrophobia and mobility issues avoid subways whenever possible. And some people just don't like subways.

Not 100% sure, but I believe they plan on running buses from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy Station every 15 minutes.

I imagine people with claustrophobia and mobility issues avoid subways whenever possible. And some people just don't like subways.

My own mother did not take the subway. Stairs, escalators/elevators out-of-service, confusion or way finding, dark tunnels, are some of the reasons given. She avoided the (now 2) Bloor-Danforth, taking the then 2 Annette trolley bus (now 26 Dupont diesel bus) and 40 Junction bus (she didn't like, instead preferred the Dundas streetcar when it went to the Runnymede loop) to get to the (now 504) King streetcar at the Dundas West Subway station.

John Tory has released his DRL map...

10341765_10152466364085761_1976545538813022934_n.jpg

This is a hybrid plan that would mostly use existing rail corridors and run through the already at-capacity Union. It's also obviously designed to appease Etobicoke and Scarborough. Granted, it's not completely non-sensical, but also isn't the DRL many of us envisioned. I'd also suggest that no stops between Liberty Village and Bloor is a bit insane. In fact, I'd suggest about four more stops are needed between Main and Dundas West.

There's a lot of unknowns here too and the comparison to London is a bit strange, especially considering the London Overground used abandoned and underused rail corridors, not some of the busiest on the continent. Moreover, the DRL will run surface-style along Eglinton West (is the Richview Corridor even large enough for heavy rail?).

Attachments

• 10341765_10152466364085761_1976545538813022934_n.jpg
    10341765_10152466364085761_1976545538813022934_n.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
John Tory has released his DRL map...

This is a hybrid plan that would mostly use existing rail corridors and run through the already at-capacity Union. It's also obviously designed to appease Etobicoke and Scarborough. Granted, it's not completely non-sensical, but also isn't the DRL many of us envisioned. I'd also suggest that no stops between Liberty Village and Bloor is a bit insane.

Getting SmartTrack operation in seven years will cost $8 billion to retrofit existing rail, electrify it and get new vehicles, Tory team said. Previous estimates on a relief line have put completion in 2031.
The SmartTrack does not remove the eventual need for underground relief line, but delays the need while relieving congestion, Tory’s team said.
The city is typically expected to come up with one third of the cost and Tory proposes they could raise $2.5 billion over 30 years by leveraging property tax revenue from three corporate developments — some yet to be built — along the new system. One of those sites is the East Don Lands and the old Unilever site which would get its own stop on the SmartTrack line under Tory’s plan. Leveraging refers to the city taking on debt by borrowing against rising property values. Proximity to transit often helps to raise house values.
The tax increment financing strategy would not see taxes go up, Tory’s team said.

This plan is nothing more than a map pulled out of his ass, and it's a pretty crappy map. Did a six-year old make it with crayons?

But it doesn't matter. 95% of people have no ability to evaluate this beyond looking at the map and believing the money will grow on trees to make it happen. This site produces about 100 plans a year more thought through and relevant than this garbage.What a worthless group of idiots running for office this year.

Back