I would bet he met one operational/in service day as Saturday and Sunday are closed this week.

I did, thanks. Last day the center platform is actually used for both trains. Today and tomorrow is the changeover period and closed to most of us won't see and Monday will be the start of the new platform.

Last edited:
Union Station by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Mr1WBAj.jpg

The construction worker was pointing at the ceiling, saying that this is the finished product and that it will remain partially exposed. I hope that's not true, but don't be surprised if it is.

l61IYoW.jpg

QNVi5QK.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to be a major tease and just post a photo of the Union signage, but we were on the scene today and there will be a full report on the front page Monday. I promise.

UNION by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Mr1WBAj.jpg

The construction worker was pointing at the ceiling, saying that this is the finished product and that it will remain partially exposed. I hope that's not true, but don't be surprised if it is.

l61IYoW.jpg

QNVi5QK.jpg

That wheelchair ramp is a bit of a joke. So many people are going to be frustrated when they've done 3 loops to get to the halfway point, only to finally get past the pillar and see that someone is coming down in the opposite direction blocking their way.

And the ceiling treatment is awful, if that's what we're getting.

Thanks for the photos.

I love the contrast between the old and new platforms, the lighting is so much better on the new one.

That wheelchair ramp is a bit of a joke. So many people are going to be frustrated when they've done 3 loops to get to the halfway point, only to finally get past the pillar and see that someone is coming down in the opposite direction blocking their way.

Ramps have a less chance of being out-of-service due to maintenance or mischief, which elevators have.

The ceiling looks somewhat similar to Don Mills station, which is also not impressive for a new station.

Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 9.33.50 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 9.34.10 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 9.33.50 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 9.33.50 PM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 9.34.10 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 9.34.10 PM.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,078
Where's the glass barrier....
That's not going to be built in 24 hours. Presumably will be finished in the next few months. There's still a lot of work to do now that that the second platform is open. They can temporarily wall off part of the old platform, and start working on the barrier, and the other modifications.

It does look kind of ridiculous. But then it's really only going to be of use to people coming from the northwest PATH extension. Anyone coming from the Union concourse will have a level crossing once they dig out the moat and connect it to the new lower level.

I just went through Union. Even on a summer weekend there were almost as many construction workers as there were members of the public. Absolute chaos down there.

I just went through Union. Even on a summer weekend there were almost as many construction workers as there were members of the public. Absolute chaos down there.
You could probably just pop on a hardhat, vest, and safety boots, and wander in. If you carry a clipboard, they'll just turn their backs and ignore you.

I wouldn't suggest one do this of course ...

you would be surprised how quickly the site super would find you and ask you what you were doing.
I've been surprised when I'm officially on a site, and I know the only person who knows I'm there is locked in a room somewhere, how little questioning I've had. The tendency is to look the other way because you don't want to know.

Perhaps on a site with a single contractor - or if your doing something that sticks out. But I can't even begin to guess how many different trades, contractors, etc. are on-Site at Union Station currently.

you would be surprised how quickly the site super would find you and ask you what you were doing.

It depends on the site. I've walked onto construction sites in my street clothing for fairly large construction sites without being questioned by anyone. But I suppose someone would eventually ask what I was doing if I stuck around long enough before presenting myself to a supervisor (or whoever). I've also been on other sites where as long as I am in safety gear and I look like I'm doing something nobody will bother me.

I suppose it depends on how large the sites are, how many supervisors there are and whether or not they're locked in an office.

And before anyone asks, yes, I was invited onto the property.

Back