But when that new GO concourse is actually open, I would suspect that the public support for the project will swing much more in the positive direction.
What indication do we have that public support isn't already positive? People seem happy to see what's going on at the platforms, the UPX work is very visible, and I haven't even heard grumbling when walking all the way around the building when I've made the mistake of coming down into the existing York South concourse, and had to walk all the way to York, up York, and along Front back through more construction to get to the subway.

Sure you want that? Things getting better in voters' lives just before an election typically aids incumbents rather than challengers ;) That said, most of the people who will benefit from this improvement will be voting in municipalities other than Toronto.

It helps incumbents who have been supporters of it and haven't been rallying against it. It would also be a good photo op for the Provincial Liberals, which may entice voters to choose someone who will play nice with the Province in order to keep the 'transit expansion ball' rolling as it were. Why vote for somebody who's insisting on biting the hand that's feeding you and actually getting things done?

What indication do we have that public support isn't already positive? People seem happy to see what's going on at the platforms, the UPX work is very visible, and I haven't even heard grumbling when walking all the way around the building when I've made the mistake of coming down into the existing York South concourse, and had to walk all the way to York, up York, and along Front back through more construction to get to the subway.

Not a scientific sample at all, but many of the comments in the media and in the comments on articles about Union have been negative, mainly focused on the cost associated with the project. Once people see results it's easier to square those results with the price tag.

Not a scientific sample at all, but many of the comments in the media and in the comments on articles about Union have been negative, mainly focused on the cost associated with the project. Once people see results it's easier to square those results with the price tag.

If it is up and running, but too expensive to use, it won't be that popular with the public.

Side note: does anybody know if there will be an easy connection from the SkyWalk to the new York concourse without having to do the back-track through the Grand Hall? That would certainly help for Jays games as well.

Sorry! Unless plans have changed, the connection from the SkyWalk to the York Concourse will require you to go through the West Wing and the Great Hall. See the floor in the dataBase file, rendering 17 of 23.

Sorry! Unless plans have changed, the connection from the SkyWalk to the York Concourse will require you to go through the West Wing and the Great Hall. See the floor in the dataBase file, rendering 17 of 23.

I thought there was already a connection from the Skywalk to teamway on the west side of York Street? I don't walk that way often, but last time I did on my way to catch GO I thought I passed an entrance to that with all the departure times listed (and because I had a few minutes, chose to walk to the Bay Concourse).

I've talked with engineers living in Toronto who have no idea the Eglinton line is being built. Though I recall when living in Montreal talking to seemingly intelligent people who didn't think that Montreal was on an island (didn't seem like the types to leave town much). Near the end of the last election, I was surprised when talking to a few people, that they had no idea who Tim Hudak was.

Some people just live in their own little sphere. I wouldn't be surprised if this is much of core support for a local candidate currently seeking re-election, and famous for not eating out ... no names mentioned.

There is also a certain politician in Toronto who does not know that a proposed Scarborough LRT to replace the the current Scarborough RT, would not have gone down any road, not taken any lanes of traffic, and would not cross intersections at grade level. They live in their own cocoon, allowing only what they want to hear.

[video=youtube_share;_vCpKUNRBEw]http://youtu.be/_vCpKUNRBEw[/video]

I thought there was already a connection from the Skywalk to teamway on the west side of York Street? I don't walk that way often, but last time I did on my way to catch GO I thought I passed an entrance to that with all the departure times listed (and because I had a few minutes, chose to walk to the Bay Concourse).

There is a set of doors just inside the north entrance of the teamway.....they lead to a set of stairs that leads up to, essentially, the area where Skywalk meets Union.

There is a staircase from the west York tramway, not the new concourse area, which is on the other side of the street
Precisely (other than the lack of trams!). So those taking GO and coming from the Skywalk don't have to walk to the Great Hall (though personally, if I'm coming from Skydome, I just stay on Bremner, and enter the teamway from the other end.

Though won't it be easier than either route, to take that new overpass over Simcoe through the Southcore Financial complex when it's completed ... though I guess it'll be a function of how straight-forward that route will be, through the buildings.

The current PATH map BTW shows a future connection from the Skywalk to both the teamway on the EAST side of York and the new northest PATH connection. Presumably both connect directly to the new York GO concourse without going through the Great Hall. It's hard to imagine there wouldn't be connections in the future, despite what's in the Union Station plans already released.

Last edited:
There's a grade change between the SkyWalk and the York Concourse which requires stairs, etc., that are not shown in the plan. Presumably they don't/didn't feel that there's enough room there for stairs. The York Concourse will be below the SkyWalk/Great Hall level, and above York Street sidewalk level.

Precisely (other than the lack of trams!).

Though won't it be easier than either route, to take that new overpass over Simcoe through the Southcore Financial complex when it's completed ... though I guess it'll be a function of how straight-forward that route will be, through the buildings.

This is an excellent point.....presumably since those 3 buildings are all being built by the same owners the path through there was part of the connecting design so should be relatively straight forward.....and it really does do just about everything the SkyWalk does/did...sure it won't go all the way to SkyDome but neither did SkyWalk (bizarrely).

A new streetlight has appeared. Hopefully those wires go away though...

DvMpN8j.jpg

WPEqKas.jpg

j2DHPy8.jpg

rzKregS.jpg

Are they going to dig York Street (and subsequently close it for years) again to construct the second phase of the York Street PATH to Wellington?

I agree. I'm disappointed they didn't go for street posts and lamps that complement the architectural style of Union Station and the Royal York.

EDIT: Upon closer look, that post looks old. It also has broken concrete below. Are we sure that's staying like that? Given that the side walk is being built around it, it doesn't look like it's being kept.

Last edited:

Back