Hand over to metrolinx is October I believe, metrolinx has to outfit it for its own uses after that I believe. (Ticket machines, store tenant outfitting, etc.)

Thanks Kotsy!

The paving on Front Street is looking quite nice. They should have installed a glycol snowmelt system and eliminate the use of salt along that stretch.

AoD

When will Front St open in front of Union? Soon I guess?
Their target is fall 2014 but I would suspect it will be late fall before it is all done. They are certainly making quite good progress now that they are working on "standard" road-building and almost all the utility work is done but they have not yet really started on the rebuilding the road and sidewalk on the north side of Front from Yonge to York or on the south side in front of the Dominion Federal Building.

Is the retail level part of the York concourse handover?

Click on the dataBase file for this project and go to the 16th image out of the 23. That's the Mall level plan. I am told that the areas marked Front Street West Moat, York Street Promenade, and York Street Pedestrian Retail are the ones which are meant to open first. I believe however, that the Front Street West Moat is further behind than the other two. That's not to say that the stores in those sections will be open on opening day either, but maybe some will be. The next sections to open would be the Front Street Promenade, and the Centre Retail.

Is there anyone know if they already started digging the Bay concourse? Because we often seeing pictures from York concourse.

The existing Bay concourse is currently in use. It can't be closed and dug until the York concourse has opened and replaced it.

The existing Bay concourse is currently in use. It can't be closed and dug until the York concourse has opened and replaced it.

It will be interesting to see how much the tide of public opinion around the project will shift once the new York Concourse opens up. Until this week, the only thing to show for the Union projects (which to the average person is really just 1 big project) was a slowly evolving roof and an ever-changing series of construction detours. But when that new GO concourse is actually open, I would suspect that the public support for the project will swing much more in the positive direction. We've already seen generally very positive support for the new Union TTC platform since it was opened.

It will be interesting to see how much the tide of public opinion around the project will shift once the new York Concourse opens up. Until this week, the only thing to show for the Union projects (which to the average person is really just 1 big project) was a slowly evolving roof and an ever-changing series of construction detours. But when that new GO concourse is actually open, I would suspect that the public support for the project will swing much more in the positive direction. We've already seen generally very positive support for the new Union TTC platform since it was opened.

It's madness to think that the new York Concourse alone will have more square footage for travelers to mill around in than the existing GO concourse. And then we'll get the Bay Concourse doubling that. And then all that additional retail space in between.

The two concourse setup will certainly make the plans to double-up trains to platforms relatively painless. Heading one way? Platform 11, York. Heading the other? Platform 11, Bay.

Can't agree more gweed - we are finally getting into the "gain" phase of this megaproject.

AoD

Hopefully they will be able to open the York Concourse before the municipal elections, but that would be very tight. A wave of positive publicity about the project would help take the wind out of the sails of some of the anti-transit types.

It's madness to think that the new York Concourse alone will have more square footage for travelers to mill around in than the existing GO concourse. And then we'll get the Bay Concourse doubling that. And then all that additional retail space in between.

The two concourse setup will certainly make the plans to double-up trains to platforms relatively painless. Heading one way? Platform 11, York. Heading the other? Platform 11, Bay.

Yup! I'm sure there will be the usual complaints from the few who just like to complain, but I think for the vast majority of people having a larger concourse will be more than welcome, even if that's only half of the total eventual concourse space.

This setup will also prevent loading of the platforms at one or two points along an extremely long platform. To and from Jays games I always use the York concourse, because it's a) so much less crowded waiting for the platform number, and b) much less crowded on the platform. The couple of exits onto the platform from the main GO concourse is incredibly jammed (and of course you get dipshits who walk up the stairs, take a step to the right, and then stop and wait there… pisses me off to no end).

Side note: does anybody know if there will be an easy connection from the SkyWalk to the new York concourse without having to do the back-track through the Grand Hall? That would certainly help for Jays games as well.

Hopefully they will be able to open the York Concourse before the municipal elections, but that would be very tight. A wave of positive publicity about the project would help take the wind out of the sails of some of the anti-transit types.

Sure you want that? Things getting better in voters' lives just before an election typically aids incumbents rather than challengers ;) That said, most of the people who will benefit from this improvement will be voting in municipalities other than Toronto.

Back