News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
My work involves battling cancer. Yet it is hard for me to sympathize with Rob Ford. I don't wish him harm in any physical way but the bastard has been so divisive, activity trying to destroy many things I believe in. He has shown no sympathy towards a large chunk of the population, the media, gays and lesbians, bikers, so-called downtown elites, union workers, the poor and the ill etc. Why is he entitled to our sympathy? Why is he entitled to any form of respect since he's a crack-smoking drunk that hangs out with criminal? The answer is he deserves nothing.

Well put. That's exactly how I feel.

Edit: the fact that he struggles with addiction doesn't factor into my lack of sympathy. Addiction is a disease, just like cancer. It's his contempt for, and ill will towards - indeed, his apparent hatred of - so many factions of the population that makes it hard for me to feel sympathy for him.

Last edited:
It's one thing to wish him harm or even death in this case, it's another thing to not be able to feel sympathy and offer respect to a toxic man like Rob Ford. It's just a very hard thing to do.

It's one thing to wish him harm or even death in this case, it's another thing to not be able to feel sympathy and offer respect to a toxic man like Rob Ford. It's just a very hard thing to do.

To add to this, Doug Ford running for Mayor now removes any possibility of sympathy/respect for the entire family whatsoever. You reap what you sow.

Not to mention that they are still manipulating the narrative, clinging to the potential of power even in the face of harm/death and perhaps even utilizing it for one's benefit. That is utterly indefensible.

AoD

Rofo ran up multiple flights of stairs at Don Mills station on Sept 8.
How many days ago was that?

Wormtongue is describing "cancer" symptoms, is he? Or something else?

Just want to get my timelines right.

Physician here - going back to the nature of this tumour, there's very little that's good about the information released so far. A few points:

1) Ford supposedly had some sort of appendiceal "tumour" resected in 2009, along with what sounds like a partial cecal resection. I have no idea what exactly this was since we have nothing more than Rob's description. It doesn't sound like any kind of malignancy, but tumours of the appendix aren't common and when they do occur can be very aggressive.

2) If this new "fair-sized" tumour is colorectal in origin, it begs the question of why he wasn't scoped. That, at least, is my understanding, as the reports suggest only imaging - and an image-guided biopsy. Colonoscopy would be the first choice to get tissue but it's possible it was attempted and it wasn't successful. And if a colonic mass is big enough to be seen on CT, it's going to be at least locally-advanced. Since Ford is now admitted to a surgeon who does colorectal exclusively, it stands to reason that's where this thing is, but it also probably isn't a "normal" colorectal cancer.

3) While a biopsy is conventionally understood as determining whether a tumour is "benign" or "malignant", usually we can tell that from imaging alone. What a biopsy provides is information about the type of tumour, and the delay in getting path results come from various special stains, immunofluorescence, and assessment of molecular markers that come with a more comprehensive study.

4) Overall I'm still not sure what's going on, but it's unusual to present with pain in the absence of obstruction or perforation. If either of those had happened, he'd already have gone to the OR. But with his younger age, prior appendiceal something, and symptoms, I'd wonder about a peritoneal malignancy either primary or secondary. It could also be a neuroendocrine tumour, some of which can be very aggressive and fast growing. Either way, once the biopsy results are back (along with whatever kind of "lung biopsy" he had) his case will go to a multidisciplinary tumour board and they'll decide on a plan.

None of this is compatible with an election.

Thanks for the insight, doc. '4)' seems especially concerning for the man's health.

Rofo ran up multiple flights of stairs at Don Mills station on Sept 8.
How many days ago was that?

Wormtongue is describing "cancer" symptoms, is he? Or something else?

Just want to get my timelines right.

I took him to be describing more the effects of whatever "lung biopsy" he had, rather than the cancer, per se.

There's probably nothing of any worth in MT book anyway.

True, but since he raised the issue of ethics, I thought I might call him on a bigger one. Also of note is that RFMG doesn't have a radio show that they are paid for, and need to find content to talk about... Just saying.

AoD

Last edited:
Plus late diagnosis is pretty common too, and general malaise is often blamed on something else until it is way too late.

Exactly. My best friend was diagnosed with stage 4 hodgkins at the age of 23. She was a work hard/play hard woman and only went to the doctor when she could no longer attribute her malaise to lifestyle. She lived 6 years, but it was an incredible battle with a known end. Again, I think Rob is in bad shape and has quite a battle ahead of him. I have worked in hospitals in a corporate capacity and I can't imagine that at reputable teaching hospital like Sinai would engage in the nonsense that people are suggesting. There is no litigation risk, but there is a significant reputational risk.

Physician here - going back to the nature of this tumour, there's very little that's good about the information released so far. A few points:

1) Ford supposedly had some sort of appendiceal "tumour" resected in 2009, along with what sounds like a partial cecal resection. I have no idea what exactly this was since we have nothing more than Rob's description. It doesn't sound like any kind of malignancy, but tumours of the appendix aren't common and when they do occur can be very aggressive.

2) If this new "fair-sized" tumour is colorectal in origin, it begs the question of why he wasn't scoped. That, at least, is my understanding, as the reports suggest only imaging - and an image-guided biopsy. Colonoscopy would be the first choice to get tissue but it's possible it was attempted and it wasn't successful. And if a colonic mass is big enough to be seen on CT, it's going to be at least locally-advanced. Since Ford is now admitted to a surgeon who does colorectal exclusively, it stands to reason that's where this thing is, but it also probably isn't a "normal" colorectal cancer.

3) While a biopsy is conventionally understood as determining whether a tumour is "benign" or "malignant", usually we can tell that from imaging alone. What a biopsy provides is information about the type of tumour, and the delay in getting path results come from various special stains, immunofluorescence, and assessment of molecular markers that come with a more comprehensive study.

4) Overall I'm still not sure what's going on, but it's unusual to present with pain in the absence of obstruction or perforation. If either of those had happened, he'd already have gone to the OR. But with his younger age, prior appendiceal something, and symptoms, I'd wonder about a peritoneal malignancy either primary or secondary. It could also be a neuroendocrine tumour, some of which can be very aggressive and fast growing. Either way, once the biopsy results are back (along with whatever kind of "lung biopsy" he had) his case will go to a multidisciplinary tumour board and they'll decide on a plan.

None of this is compatible with an election.

Thanks for this. I never suspected trickery. Rob Ford's ego is too wrapped up in being mayor for him to back out of the only thing he has ever really loved doing aside from football. It's not as if being in hospital will keep him from being prosecuted, and he can't hide out there forever if he's faking.

(JGH? Montreal?)

Interesting that hair loss is already occurring. That fast? Really? :confused:

I was just looking at Warren Kinsella's blog - there's a comment on there about a political insider whose sources are saying Rob's (alleged) cancer has spread from the original tumour and he has already had radiation treatments. If true, then hair loss would be expected.

Last edited:
I have worked in hospitals in a corporate capacity and I can't imagine that at reputable teaching hospital like Sinai would engage in the nonsense that people are suggesting. There is no litigation risk, but there is a significant reputational risk.

I suspect corporate would privately loath having patients like him (independent on it being a matter of medical necessity, etc). Coming in with a host of issues, potentially difficult, if not downright disruptive behaviour; unwanted media exposure, etc. It's like a running timebomb.

I was just looking at Warren Kinsella's blog - there's a comment on there about a political insider whose sources are saying Rob's cancer has spread from the original tumour and he has already had radiation treatments. If true, then hair loss would be expected.

Hairloss is mainly a side effect of some types of chemo (and complete hairloss doesn't usually happen right away). Can't imagine them going through with that without deciding on what he is treated for.

AoD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back