News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never heard that version of the story; I always heard it was Catholic. Also, apparently not true:

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=b6c86e91-cd42-4309-b5e7-0fbf10b2ebb1&sponsor=

excerpt:

Which brings us to High Park. Did the Howards actually stipulate that a Catholic should never be mayor? Colborne House curator Karen Edwards says no.

The land was deeded to the city in two instalments over a period of 17 years. Both donations were notarized.

"The museum has copies of John's will and the conveyances from 1873 and 1890," she writes in an e-mail, "None of the three documents include anything about a Catholic mayor."

Thanks, Awesome Avatar for wwwebster. This was my understanding also. Irrational division has always existed in Faire Olde Yorke. But we get through it in time.

I love Doug playing the millionaire regular guy with the wife with gucci/chanel gear.

Yep. Though I still consider any Ford that isn't seeking public office to be off my targeting radar. But Doug is just...honestly his cadence is just so WWE in this debate, Vince McMahon might sue for plagiarization.

That was hilarious with what Doug's definition of the elites as well.

Constitutionally entrenched law is a big Canadian bugaboo. It's like treaty rights. Some consider it sacred trust between the government and the Catholic population.
Catholic schooling was constitutionally entrenched in Quebec, Newfoundland, and Ontario. Both Quebec and Newfoundland in 1997 asked Canada to amend the Constitution to end Catholic (and other religion's) schooling. Neither was particularly controversial - even in Quebec which has a much higher percentage Catholic population than Ontario.

Not seeing a big deal here. If Ontario passes a constitutional amendment, the Commons and Senate have little choice but rubber stamp it, as they did with Newfoundland and Quebec.

Like the platoon of grenadiers who drowned in the pond because the ice was too thin...
Or the quicksand in the northwest corner of the pond just waiting to slurp up the unready...

I, for one (and perhaps me alone) wait with bated breath for the Greg Banks alternative history of the city. Maybe it would be like what James Ellroy did to L.A.?

I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Olivia should be ashamed as a progressive to let a lying right wing nutjob get away with everything while picking on a more moderate candidate. I would have voted for her if she did not play did card.

They embody the rich tapestry that makes up this crazy town. Little known fact: Doug is actually an Azorean Whaler who, through his seafaring ways, brought Ethiopian cuisine to Toronto. Rob played conga in Fela Kuti's band, back in Lagos. They both still call Myanmar, Burma and Sri Lanka, Ceylon.

*snort* I need a new keyboard!
smiley-rofl.gif

Attachments

• smiley-rofl.gif
    smiley-rofl.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 601
I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Watching Olivia pile on with Doug drives me nuts, too. But I can't on board with Tory. I like him, but he keeps putting to much stock in market-based solutions for many of our issues. Sure, that's part of the solution, but it's not enough on its own. I think Olivia sees the bigger picture. YMMV.

PS. I won't be broken-hearted if Tory wins. I believe he'll at least give opinions like mine a fair hearing and possibly see some value in them.

Of course they are both going after tory - he is the front runner. Doesn't mean they are working together on this.

This is not what I meant. I meant as a progressive to let the right wing nutter get away with his lies without saying anything is just pathetic. I agree she's doing this to win. But it is beyond the pale. You realize she's letting Doug shit on her base?

Daniel Dale @ddale8
On his Rotary honour, Ford says "You don't get the Paul Harris Fellow by donating $1,000." That's what Rotary International told us.

That pesky problem with the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back