News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
"How old-school is it? Women members (they call them ladies) have restricted tee times; men get first dibs."

Of course women-as-second-class-citizens continues at the Rosedale Golf Club, which is entirely reasonable, it seems.

Good to know. Excellent rebuttal to the concerns about racism.

Last edited:
"How old-school is it? Women members (they call them ladies) have restricted tee times; men get first dibs."

Of course women-as-second-class-citizens continues at the Rosedale Golf Club, which is entirely reasonable, it seems.

Good to know. Excellent rebuttal to the concerns about racism.

I'm going to bet that John Tory never referred to anyone as a Kike or a Nigger. And if you are a woman or or a minority, knowing what you know would you feel 'safer' working for Tory or Doug Ford? It's frustrating that Tory is so clean they have to go back 20 years for dirt and the Fords are constantly producing so much you can't keep up.

Not unless we live in Chicago.

Howler Monkey HQ completely loose their tiny little minds https://www.facebook.com/LetFordBe/...7188145858/614079585368280/?type=1&permPage=1 … because the Toronto Sun is a liberal rag now
https://twitter.com/AGrumpyHobbit/status/523864563398483970
Most of the postings on IHTWOMRF say that John Tory is a Liberal, which of course just confirms that 27% crazification factor again.
I wonder how Doug reacted to the news, I can't wait to hear the spin his camping team will put on the Sun's endorsement of Tory. This is going to be good.

I thought it was a pretty good editorial, although the first half was all about how they aren't supporting the Fords and only after that do they talk up Tory. Great headline though. And critical because it's one of the few media publications that FN gives attention to.

Agreed on all fronts. A bit annoying that they gave so much credibility (fiscal and otherwise) to Ford's regime but i guess they need to talk that talk to appeal to FN.

Interesting to see where the Star endorsement lies. I guess they are pondering the weight of a strategic vote.

Makes me wonder all over again what the newspapers know that we don't. They got stories, for sure.

People, respectfully, don't "assume" - *read* the platforms of the three leading candidates! Don't go by headlines, bluster, news snippets or attack ads - know what each of the candidate's platforms are and if you know more - like some of the *real* history of the candidates (most of us here do), that's ball the better. Wiki is helpful there. It takes all ofminutes for the Mayoral candidates, Google each one and read. Well, skip Dug. Know your Councillors and Trustees too, be informed voters. I don't mean to sound so harsh or in attack mode here, but we're only 8 days out and this is the information age!

Too true. And I would add that a high proportion of posters to, and readers of this forum are doing exactly that. I can respect people who don't agree with my views after informing themselves. It's people like my father in law who think rofo kept "taxes low despite what he does in his personal life" that make want to move.(and retch).

Just heard Doug saying he shops at WalMart. I guess that's where Karla's Prada purse came from.

I saw that commercial too, it makes me wonder if they officially support him or is he going to get a call from their legal.

Excellent rebuttal to the concerns about racism.
Do you mean to Doug Ford's concerns about racism? Or to the concerns of a guy here who goes on like a string gets pulled in his back?

It's dirty politics because it's irrelevent to the campaign unless you believe that Doug Ford in office is going to stand up and question the legitimacy of all the business leaders in Toronto who belong to exclusive clubs and social networks. He won't? He'll take their money and at every opportunity praise them as examples of the rewards hard work and less government interference will bring? Thought so.

It can be a valid informed intelligent decision to choose not to support John Tory because there's too much our Mitt Romney about him, or because he vocally and monetarily supported the atrocious Fords in the previous campaign and in their early time in office. But that doesn't mean that those who chose Tory based on other criteria or conclusions are irresponsibly supporting hard-right reactionary government. Nor does it erase the ways that Olivia Chow fell short of what was expected of her on her entrance into the race.

Last edited:
Interesting that Dofo's Tory smears seem to be working amongst this crowd. He donated to me! White golf club! These points have been repeated here a lot on the last few pages. Doug would be thrilled.

Not an attack, just an observation.

I'm going to bet that John Tory never referred to anyone as a Kike or a Nigger. And if you are a woman or or a minority, knowing what you know would you feel 'safer' working for Tory or Doug Ford? It's frustrating that Tory is so clean they have to go back 20 years for dirt and the Fords are constantly producing so much you can't keep up.

Yebbut it's People's Dirt, not elitist upper class dirt. *Real* Dirt, like Ford Nation. Drugs, not Chapter 11.

Doug Ford. The People's Mayor.
Oi, the chutzpah.

"people's" , "real" - there's them words again folks

And there's "People's Shock Troops" (Mussolini), "People's Liberation Army" (Chinese Communist), "People's Republican Army"" (Irish troubles, not a Yankee militia), and "People's Jewellers" (tyranny of a capitalist sort)

Populist *and* dirty. Can't get more Fordian than that.

I thought it was a pretty good editorial, although the first half was all about how they aren't supporting the Fords and only after that do they talk up Tory. Great headline though. And critical because it's one of the few media publications that FN gives attention to.

I had mixed feelings, mainly because of the "Rob's achievements" section at the top. I think a lot of that stuff would have happened anyway. Union concessions? Recall that CUPE, bloodied and weakened by the garbage strike, came to the table offering a zero-wage increase and a promise to streamline it's bumping process. It was all defence and no offence. Anybody could have wrung further concessions. Contracting garbage? Ford was hardly the lone candidate calling for that move. Cancelling the VRT? That was a honeymoon vote, IMO — and bad policy. (I think it should have been restructured to make it more progressive, tho, eg. taxing second and third cars registered to an address, but not the first car.) Tax freezes/low annual increases? That's not smart money management. All Rob and council did was kick the can down the road. We'll be paying for it pretty soon.

Anyway, you get my point. Rob grasped low-hanging fruit, stuff that was easy for council to support. The rest was a hot mess. As for the rest of the editorial, I think it's a good commentary on the Ford problem and John Tory's strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry - while I understand that this forum tends towards left leaning (whatever that means) insinuating that Tory is some sort of rabid right wing conservative and that his and Rob Ford's views are not that different doesn't sit well with me. You don't like JT's brand of conservatism, fine but do not equivocate him with a homophobic, misognsytic and small minded drug addict or his disfunctional family.

JWBF my comment about left leaning (whatever that means) wasn't meant as disrespectful - it was meant as an understanding that left leaning means different things to different people. Your comment was disrespectful and rude to me.

Left leaning has nothing to do with it, at least to me, it did have to do with the above, and bolded, statement.

Union concessions? Recall that CUPE, bloodied and weakened by the garbage strike, came to the table offering a zero-wage increase and a promise to streamline it's bumping process. It was all defence and no offence. Anybody could have wrung further concessions. Contracting garbage? Ford was hardly the lone candidate calling for that move.

Right. Local 416 was fatally weakened by the time Rob got in.

We've only had three garbage strikes. 1972, 2002 and 2009.

2002 was "Jobs for Life" and 2009 was the Sick Bank Gratuity. What would RoDoFo have done if they were mayor?

He gave TTC Essential Service status. That's nice, wait till it goes to binding interest arbitration.

They refuse to look seriously at police "Paid Duty" or Sick Bank Gratuity.

One item from Don Peat that gave me a laugh: ;)

"Olivia Chow says she'd look at amalgamating Toronto Fire and EMS"
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/522495590513774592

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back