Delta has an ad on the Youtube homepage. Says "Coming soon to the SoCo neighbourhood". Yep. SoCo just happened officially. unbelievably tacky. Most people probably don't even know where SoCo is.

Well of course they are going to use that. SoCo is the name of the hotel restaurant.

Looking at the width of the sidewalks around these buildings I could see a dominant street culture created. This is going to be a neighbourhood unlike anything Toronto has today, and it's still very much in the construction phase. Having the SkyDome, ACC, the MTCC, Aquarium, Jurassic Park et all, there is a lot of opportunity to make this the new cultural focal point, instead of Dundas Square. if they create a couple new festivals, allow busker's and (dare I dream) successfull professional sports franchises... this could be the best 'hood downtown Toronto has.

Wow, i love your enthusiasm about it! A lot of it will be determined by what happens at street level and the type of businesses that settle in. There will always be crowds after sporting events but it remains to be seen whether or not they linger or head off to other areas. Dundas Square has the advantage of being on a major subway line and in the heart of the city, it is already very connected and accessible.

Looking at the width of the sidewalks around these buildings I could see a dominant street culture created. This is going to be a neighbourhood unlike anything Toronto has today, and it's still very much in the construction phase. Having the SkyDome, ACC, the MTCC, Aquarium, Jurassic Park et all, there is a lot of opportunity to make this the new cultural focal point, instead of Dundas Square. if they create a couple new festivals, allow busker's and (dare I dream) successfull professional sports franchises... this could be the best 'hood downtown Toronto has.

One of the changes I really wish the City would make would be to shut down Bremner from Simcoe to Navy Wharf on Blue Jays weekend game days. There's just too many people to fit onto the sidewalks along Bremner, and having to deal with the plethora of cars that are barely moving really detracts from the experience. There's such an opportunity to do a Yawkee Way type of street atmosphere before a game that I think is being lost.

I just passed by and I noticed lots of people in the lobby, doormen, receptionists, it appears that the hotel is open.

that was quick.
Yep, grand opening today. I walked by with the kids on Tuesday night hoping they'd be doing a soft opening, but there was just training going on.

Although the PATH connection running in the new office tower next to the Delta was open so we walked through there. It's pretty nice, and the lobby of the Bremner tower has a cool lit up staircase.

ushahid, based on some of your posts sounds like you've got something very very serious going on with your health, sorry to hear it.

Too true! It just doesn't feel like a neighbourhood yet at all.

neighbourhoods don't pop up overnight. hopefully over the years this area will actually gain some character as people settle in and replace the subways and drycleaners with more interesting businesses and draw people to the area. I doubt that will do much for the monotonous architecture though.

Wow. Yeah right hehe. I've been hearing that sweet song from people who have come and long gone from that 'nabe' for the past 15 or so years.
If it wasn't for all the vehicular traffic shortcutting their way to somewhere else the tumbleweeds would be blowing down those streets.
But you do have a point. That is the neighbourhood of the future.
Always has been and always will be.

We have been back into the Delta. The first story is up now, there's another one coming, and Marcanadian will no doubt have more pics for this thread soon.

^ the article said "The Delta is now Toronto's tallest hotel-only tower". Toronto needs more taller hotel only towers.

Back