News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Mayor Crombie only had to look after the voters within those 37 square miles. Mayor Tory is looking at a 240 square mile picture.

Which gets us back to the issue of Harris' amalgamation and how it reshaped Toronto politics. Issues such as the Island Airport and Tripartite Agreement was contained entirely within the old city.

AoD

Jude MacDonald @judemacdonald
There is a process by which a Speaker can be removed from the chair. Mayor then chooses replacement. With Ford, Council hesitated.
From where I sit, fears that caused members to sit on their hands last time aren't in play this time around. I expect Nunziata knows this.
My point is that it won't hurt Tory if she doesn't get her shit together. She's voted out, another takes her place. @Belgraves

People are calling this situation Ford 2.0, but I just don't see it.

Which gets us back to the issue of Harris' amalgamation and how it reshaped Toronto politics. Issues such as the Island Airport and Tripartite Agreement was contained entirely within the old city.

AoD

It could have serious possible repercussions.

Under Metro, Toronto had it's local council as well as an influence on Metro Council pertaining to both local and Metro-wide issues. Under the current system, Toronto can, as it has with Ford/Tory, find itself shut out of the executive, and bullied in council by the former Boroughs. In Ford's case, outright contempt.

Things like Spadina and Crosstown expressways would probably get passed in a city council and an executive controlled by the former boroughs.

It could have serious possible repercussions.

Under Metro, Toronto had it's local council as well as an influence on Metro Council pertaining to both local and Metro-wide issues. Under the current system, Toronto can, as it has with Ford/Tory, find itself shut out of the executive, and bullied in council by the former Boroughs. In Ford's case, outright contempt.

Things like Spadina and Crosstown expressways would probably get passed in a city council and an executive controlled by the former boroughs.

Tend to agree - that balance is no longer in place with amalgamation. Though re: Spadina - keep in mind that Metro did push it through despite objections from the old city, and ultimately it was killed by the province.

AoD

re: Spadina - keep in mind that Metro did push it through despite objections from the old city, and ultimately it was killed by the province.

AoD

...because of the objections by the citizens of the old city of Toronto. This was a time when Toronto took on the OMB.... and won.

...because of the objections by the citizens of the old city of Toronto. This was a time when Toronto took on the OMB.... and won.

No doubt, but I wouldn't want to rely on that political dynamic 40 years after that event - if anything, the provincial politicians might have more to lose for taking a similar stance now, given the vote rich 905.

AoD

“I am the only candidate that will move Toronto not right, not left, but forward.”

John Tory

“If it’s not right, not left, but forward, prove it.”

—Newly elected Ward 20 councillor Joe Cressy in an interview with the National Post, after new mayor John Tory made it known that he would be giving plum political appointments almost exclusively to right-leaning councillors. Cressy was alluding to Tory’s centrist rhetoric on the campaign trail.

I think Joe Cressy need to demonstrate he can at least match AV's performance first before he can challenge anyone's notion of moving forward.

AoD

What do people think about Tory's transit presser this morning. Or do we still want to talk about DMW and Nunziata ?

Freshcutgrass - how do you feel about Tory's "plum political appointments" re. his staffers - the majority of whom are both Liberals AND Conservatives?

What do people think about Tory's transit presser this morning. Or do we still want to talk about DMW and Nunziata ?

Freshcutgrass - how do you feel about Tory's "plum political appointments" re. his staffers - the majority of whom are both Liberals AND Conservatives?

Proof is in the pudding, but it sounds good enough. Just getting parked/stopped cars off the road would be a big win. Getting rid of the taxis/couriers mucking up St. Clair on both sides of Yonge would make that back into an arterial, for example.

Back