News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

George Dunbar -- AKA "Goldie"
Hopes to see all his Urban Toronto friends in June:

inmyview1_zpsa443b1f7.jpg

"George Dunbar -- AKA "Goldie"
Hopes to see all his Urban Toronto friends in June:"
Professor Goldie.

Whether wither the weather, I will not be wethered; count me in!

Kind regards,
J T

Last edited:
Everyone,

UT-er "Mavis" sent me this family photo. She asks our help in identifying the location.

Her uncle worked here; that's him posing in the picture.

She thinks it might be in the Niagara region.

Interesting detail is the produce being grown in the back of this restaurant or tourist lodge...

Thanks in advance.

-Moose

59zy88.jpg

Does anyone know much about the Tudor Hotel on Sherbourne Street? The modernist artist and writer Wyndham Lewis lived there during a few years stay in Toronto, while he wrote 'Self Condemned' - an unhappy story set in a thinly disguised Toronto called Momaco - "a sanctimonious icebox". The hotel later burned down. I can't seem to find a picture of the building anywhere.

Does anyone know much about the Tudor Hotel on Sherbourne Street? The modernist artist and writer Wyndham Lewis lived there during a few years stay in Toronto, while he wrote 'Self Condemned' - an unhappy story set in a thinly disguised Toronto called Momaco - "a sanctimonious icebox". The hotel later burned down. I can't seem to find a picture of the building anywhere.

I believe Tudor Hall/Hotel was a house designed by Beaumont Jarvis that Sir Henry Pellatt had built at 559 Sherbourne in 1902. The May 1902 issue of The Canadian Architect and Builder had an illustration of the house, but only in the “Architect’s Edition,†which is unfortunately not the edition available online. Pellatt lived there until he moved to Casa Loma.

There is reference on line to a Toronto Star article dated Feb. 15, 1943 to the fire:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=Zz...wAzgK#v=onepage&q=tudor hotel toronto&f=false

If someone can pull it up, there may be a pic.

Heya. First time I've done a 'time lapse' Then and Now. Something different.

Five photos: February 25 2012 thru May 9 2015.

An unmourned parking garage on the NE corner of Saint Patrick Street and Michael Sweet Avenue comes down for the condo known as '210 Simcoe'.

February 25 2012. The metalwork on this place caught my eye as the hoarding went up.

345d2t5.jpg

Coming down.

11jokki.jpg

Going up.

b7jokk.jpg

Almost there. By the way, this is the back of the condo.

2ytsldg.jpg

May 9 2015. I looked up at some the units. A few have what look like offices for some the trades still working on the condo - orange vests on the backs of chairs. One unit has gift baskets (house warming gifts?) against the window. Life in Toronto moves on...

2r55aih.jpg

The last house on Bloor... between Parliament and Avenue.

Thought I'd get in on the Then and Now action and throw up a couple of scenes at Bloor East and Sherbourne. It's easy to forget that Bloor used to be a tree-lined residential street before the Viaduct opened in 1918 and was widened around 1927.

Here's the southwest corner in 1912. Note the house on the right.
s0372_ss0003_it0092.jpg

Last weekend. The house, the only remaining survivor, is now a dollar store and slated for demolition.
FullSizeRender[1].jpg

The same intersection, after widening, maybe around 1930. By then, the owners of the grand corner house were OK with a commercial building jammed next door. There's the distinctive portico of the second house again.
f1231_it0255.jpg

Now:
FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• s0372_ss0003_it0092.jpg
    s0372_ss0003_it0092.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 1,606
  • FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 1,497
  • f1231_it0255.jpg
    f1231_it0255.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 1,544
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 1,614
My first then-and-now contribution to the thread, and I stumbled across it quite by accident. I sat down for a bite at the yummy Leslieville Pumps at Queen E & Carlaw, and embedded in the table was a great "then" photo, which allowed me to snap the "now" photo as I left.

Anyone care to guess the date? Based on my limited knowledge of cars, I'd say late 50s.

"Based on my limited knowledge of cars, I'd say late 50s."
chriskayTO.

From the looks of that 58? Oldsmobile, the ill-fitting gas filler and rust damage below the left taillight; bodywork in progress on the lower fender, and the non-stock

hubcaps, I would estimate early 60's.

(The Chev is either a '55 or '56.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Based on my limited knowledge of cars, I'd say late 50s."
chriskayTO.

From the looks of that 58? Oldsmobile, the ill-fitting gas filler and rust damage below the left taillight; bodywork in progress on the lower fender, and the non-stock

hubcaps, I would estimate early 60's.

(The Chev is either a '55 or '56.)

Regards,
J T

wow is that olds a convertible? or may be a landau roof???

A couple of additional observations:

- interesting that the Dominion on the corner has almost come full-circle as a grocery destination with Shoppers Drug Mart recent introduction of a substantial fresh food section.
- I love, love, love, love that light fixture over the gas pumps. I don't think I've ever seen one that style before.

Back