Burying the wires would probably be close to 7 figures, developers are in this to make as much money as possible, so that's pretty much never on their radar.
Yeah, pretty much comes down to cost. I know even in my work world, burying some fiber optic cable in a very small trench between buildings, can get up over 30K immediately. I imagine the costs to do utilities would be astronomical.

Yeah, pretty much comes down to cost. I know even in my work world, burying some fiber optic cable in a very small trench between buildings, can get up over 30K immediately. I imagine the costs to do utilities would be astronomical.
Yup. Availability of and lead times to receive transformers are already presenting very real challenges right now as well. I can see why burying the powerlines would present a real challenge for a project that already has a fair amount of site constraints as it sits, you can only mitigate so many issues before compromising somewhere.

I've seen this happen many times, all of them intentional.

I think it's pretty fanciful to imagine the developer intentionally burned down the existing building, if that's what you mean. But the site wasn't particularly well boarded up, and it was well known that homeless people were camping out inside, so negligence/ignorance on the part of the developer contributed to this fire.

I think it's pretty fanciful to imagine the developer intentionally burned down the existing building, if that's what you mean. But the site wasn't particularly well boarded up, and it was well known that homeless people were camping out inside, so negligence/ignorance on the part of the developer contributed to this fire.
Intentional, probably not. Knowing it might happen and doing nothing about it, more likely. I'm sure when the CFD or whomever called the property owner to notify them, they were shocked.

Last edited:
The resubmitted DP has been working its way through the approval process, and is now going to CPC next week. Looks very similar to the design that got defeated at appeal, hopefully now it takes into account the powerpoles in the laneway, without just pushing them onto the neighbors. Looks like it based on the report:
1680280531715.png

Report, Background, DP drawings, CA Letter, Applicant Submission, Heritage Calgary Letter
1680280659181.png

1680280714714.png

1680280734354.png

1680280761546.png

1680280794616.png

1680280813805.png

1680280850710.png

1680280904608.png

Back