News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

more philanthropists donating to public realm projects. But the government should also be more competitive with Quebec in terms of the maintenance of public spaces in high-profile areas. Ottawa’s National Capital Commission is doing great work nowadays as well in making Ottawa attractive through public realm projects. It really helps the tourism sector and to attract talented people in general.
I always think that Queen's Park and University Avenue should become a provincial park, but I don't see that happening under Dougie.

I always think that Queen's Park and University Avenue should become a provincial park, but I don't see that happening under Dougie.

University Avenue has more of a Wall Street, Commercial vibe than it does a park.

That said, I would love to see Queens Park be turned into an Urban Provincial Park under the auspices of the Provincial Government. Perhaps they could establish something like the NCC in Ottawa to manage the area.

I for one would love to see a grand plan for the area.

I don't think that should ever happen - it's really too fine-grained and urban for it to be an area of provincial responsibility. What it should be is a quasi-independent conservancy.

AoD

Doug would be more likely to sell off Queen's Park through using the notwithstanding clause, than it ever being a provincial park.

It’s hard to believe how lousy the public realm is around Old City Hall. Montreal’s public realm around its historic landmarks is much better. The public spaces around Quebec’s provincial legislature are better maintained than Queen’s Park as well.

Yes, we need more philanthropists donating to public realm projects. But the government should also be more competitive with Quebec in terms of the maintenance of public spaces in high-profile areas. Ottawa’s National Capital Commission is doing great work nowadays as well in making Ottawa attractive through public realm projects. It really helps the tourism sector and to attract talented people in general.
Just look at how Nathan Phillips Square has been treated (no rework of the forecourt, everything aging) and it all makes sense.

University Avenue has more of a Wall Street, Commercial vibe than it does a park.

That said, I would love to see Queens Park be turned into an Urban Provincial Park under the auspices of the Provincial Government. Perhaps they could establish something like the NCC in Ottawa to manage the area.

I for one would love to see a grand plan for the area.
There is the master plan for a linear park linking Queen's Park and University Avenue designed by Public Work landscape architects:

1605887892-20201120-universityparkqueensparkafter.jpeg
1605887674-20201120-hospitaldistrictafter.jpeg
bikelane.jpg

It's too bad that Galen Weston and others of his ilk (someone mentioned Drake downthread) don't mind being public pariahs. In the old days robber barons burnished their public images by donating much of their fortune to publicly beneficial civil projects among other things. These days they seem to prefer rubbing the noses of the poor (basically anyone outside of the 1%) in their obscene wealth by taking selfies in their 100 meter yachts/private basketball courts/low orbit spaceships, etc...

A bit late to this............. but CREM has this line item in the capital budget, the $5,537,000 is 2024:

View attachment 548774
Can I ask if there are any more current hints or notes that indicate some of the thinking in the design concepts? This is a rather unique heritage building of size and location that (I think) should or would appeal to an organization (public or private) seeking a statement location. There was talk of locating the Ontario Legislature there at some point (2026 possibly was the date while Queens Park undergoes renovation), but I am not sure if that is still a valid consideration. ANd not forgetting to mention the location of the Cenotaph as well.

Back