News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

But only if they were unbelievably dumb enough to be aiming themselves along a track with a tree close enough to hit in the first place.

In fairness, loss of control is a thing, and some saucers/sleds etc do go sideways or angled, sometimes kids also fall off and roll in a different direction at speed.

Its also not uncommon to underestimate how far a sled can go in certain conditions, if you get up to a good speed, on a steep incline you can keep going, at speed for upwards of 50M from the bottom of the hill, many people find that out the hard way.

To be clear, I favour fewer rules, more permissions and accepting greater risk; but while I think the City can engage in grossly excessive risk management, I do understand that some serious injuries do happen, some a result of stupidity, some not, either way, good to mitigate the risk of the worst outcomes, where practical.

The province confirmed in a letter to the city that Ontario has "conditionally committed" up to $97 million for the event.

Staff's $300 million estimation of the tournament costs is based on Toronto staging five games. The city would pay some of the costs but has asked the federal and provincial governments to split $184 million.

According to the letter, Ontario's funding is contingent on the federal government putting up a matching contribution. The province is also stipulating that the money it provides be "exclusively limited to investments that will build lasting public infrastructure and benefits that will serve the community long after the games are over."
The money is not to go toward any costs "where the primary beneficiary is a private, for-profit, or otherwise nonpublic entity." Some of the funding could be provided in the form of in-kind services like policing, transportation and health care.

colour me shocked

Is that a joke? I don't understand how anyone tobogganing could accidentally hit a tree. They would have to be aiming for it.
I've seen young kids who have hit trees because they couldn't control the sled or a bump caused the sled to change direction. They weren't aiming for the tree. Accidents happen.

There is no denying that tobogganing can be dangerous if there are trees at the bottom of the hill. It's very easy to lose control and smash into one. If they can avoid that by dropping a few bales of hay, it's probably cheaper than defending even one lawsuit, never mind settling one.

I've seen young kids who have hit trees because they couldn't control the sled or a bump caused the sled to change direction. They weren't aiming for the tree. Accidents happen.
Yes, one needs to be careful but "Life has Risks" and one needs to remember that. As the Council motion says, put up signs saying "Be careful" but the 'nanny state' is simply a waste of time and effort.

Yes, one needs to be careful but "Life has Risks" and one needs to remember that. As the Council motion says, put up signs saying "Be careful" but the 'nanny state' is simply a waste of time and effort.
No question. I’m not advocating for the hay bales to be put up. Just saying shit happens.

In fairness, loss of control is a thing, and some saucers/sleds etc do go sideways or angled, sometimes kids also fall off and roll in a different direction at speed...
Yes, I know that happens because I did it often as a kid. But even as a dumb kid, I and no one I knew of, ever hit or came close to hitting a tree (or a stump, large rock, pole, etc.) because even dumb kids know enough not to slide down a hill that has trees on it or at the bottom of it. I feel silly even having to explain something that should presumably be so obvious and not require an explanation.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that happens because I did it often as a kid. But even as a dumb kid, I, and no one I knew of, ever hit or came close to hitting a tree (or a stump, large rock, pole, etc.) because even dumb kids know enough not to slide down a hill that has trees on it or at the bottom of it. I feel silly even having to explain something that should presumably be so obvious and not require an explanation.

I don't recall hitting a tree as a kid myself, but it certainly does happen.

This is a little kids toboggan hill at East Lynn Park (one of those not City sanctioned ones)

1706883798995.png

There are certainly trees within view, which in the past, the City tied bales of hay to facing side of those that were on the nearside of the pathway.

Arguably the City's best known hill is Riverdale East; while much of it is tree free, some is not; and on busy sledding days, the top of the hill can filled from one end to the other w/sledders:

1706884013951.png

I can almost guarantee some kid has hit baseball fencing; I have to say, I went down this hill on a racer ...uhhh.....4 decades ago I guess..........I didn't come to a stop til mid-way across the soccer pitch.

We can agree that most kids/parents successfully mitigate any risk; and most risk management is overkill; but I think we may differ on whether people, especially little kids, should get the benefit of some added protection against their own mistakes or misjudgements.

Last edited:

This is a little kids toboggan hill at East Lynn Park (one of those not City sanctioned ones)

View attachment 537280

There are certainly trees within view, which in the past, the City tied bales of hay to facing side of those that were on the nearside of the pathway.

Arguably the City's best known hill is Riverdale East; while much of it is tree free, some is not; and on busy sledding days, the top of the hill can filled from end to the other w/sledders:

View attachment 537281

I can almost guarantee some kid has hit baseball fencing; I have to say, I went down this hill on a racer ...uhhh.....4 decades ago I guess..........I didn't come to a stop til mid-way across the soccer pitch.

We can agree that most kids/parents successfully mitigate any risk; and most risk management is overkill; but I think we may differ on whether people, especially little kids, should get the benefit of some added protection against their own mistakes or misjudgements.

Yep, as a child I hit a garbage can at the base of a hill while tobogganing in Greenwood Park. If only my parents were litigious!

View attachment 537280

Arguably the City's best known hill is Riverdale East; while much of it is tree free, some is not; and on busy sledding days, the top of the hill can filled from end to the other w/sledders:

View attachment 537281

I think we may differ on whether people, especially little kids, should get the benefit of some added protection against their own mistakes or misjudgements.
I think that parents or guardians also need to take responsibility for their charges! Yes, the City or others should post warning signage if something has more dangers than might be expected. However, one needs to expect that if you fall from a high place you will be hurt, if you iron your clothes while wearing them you will be burnt and if you slide down a hill with 'obstacles' you may hit one of them!

hot iron.jpg

Last edited:
I think that parents or guardians also need to take responsibility for their charges! Yes, the City or others should post warning signage if something has more dangers than might be expected. However, one needs to expect that if you fall from a high place you will be hurt, if you iron your clothes while wearing them you will be burnt and if you slide down a hill with 'obstacles' you may hit one of them!

View attachment 537284View attachment 537284

At the risk of getting sidetracked............

I bought a chainsaw once.............

It came with the usual warning sheet........... included........."Do not not use while climbing a ladder while intoxicated" LOL

Back