8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

ben.thebean1

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, this is weird. This definitely doesn't need to be in the database yet but worth a thread for discussion.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 135720.png

Abandoned Fionn MacCool's pub. Built and opened 2015, never reopened after the pandemic. In summer of 2021 a sign went up from Triovest advertising a pop-up rental opportunity (this becomes important later). From November until Christmas in 2021 there was a pop-up holiday-ish market situation in the building. Abandoned again after that.

Fast forward to late 2022, demolition permit approved. Then nothing.

Until yesterday - building is being demolished.

So obviously Triovest, the property owners, knew they planned to demolish the structure long ago, advertising it as a very short term opportunity only. But why? The building is rather small, but perfect for a small restaurant, independent or a chain, and it was always packed in there. So I don't understand why they wouldn't sign a longer term lease with another restaurant. I have 2 theories, 1 boring and one more extreme;

1. More parking - Long story short the parking lot is extremely tight and Triovest knows it. Removing the structure and extending the parking lot would allow a decrease in minimums and more room for spaces and therefore larger individual parking spaces. Here's some more background on this theory: I go to the PetSmart in this plaza often and the parking is outrageous. The whole plaza is right at the minimum requirement for spaces and the spaces are very small, laneways are tight, and I know as a fact people have complained because I have seen people from Triovest a couple times during the day surveying, measuring, and assessing the damage (literally, there are spots of the lot sinking into the ground). I also think this is more likely because no development application has been submitted to rebuild anything here.

2. Condo building - yeah maybe it's a stretch but then I think of Dunwest at Dundas and Neyagawa in oakville, which is on a smaller plot of land. Pic below is what they have to work with (roughly). It's actually a great spot for a midrise residential building, very walkable to a lot of necessities including a bus route, and based on other development in this area I don't think it's that far-fetched to ask to put one here.
Screenshot 2024-02-14 135646.png

so what do we think?

It's not going to be another condo project or additional parking. The facts is Triovest has plans to build the new chicken fast food chain Chick-fill-A which is going to build on former Fionn Macool's pub, it will plans to open by end of 2024 or Early 2025 if the building permits are issued.

I go to Michaels or PetSmart for needs and Fortinos for grocery runs on mid-week

I'm so excited to have Chick-fill-A in Burlington and it my favorite!

It's not going to be another condo project or additional parking. The facts is Triovest has plans to build the new chicken fast food chain Chick-fill-A which is going to build on former Fionn Macool's pub, it will plans to open by end of 2024 or Early 2025 if the building permits are issued.

I go to Michaels or PetSmart for needs and Fortinos for grocery runs on mid-week

I'm so excited to have Chick-fill-A in Burlington and it my favorite!
Oh no way. Why demolish the entire structure though? Is it really that unusable? Also, why no development proposal yet?

Oh no way. Why demolish the entire structure though? Is it really that unusable? Also, why no development proposal yet?
Because of the structure of the old restaurant being demolished, I’m thinking of possibly of new Chick-fill-A building with drive thru with 1 or 2 drive-thru bays with a modern design
IMG_1647.jpeg

Building permit for new building has been issued from the city of Burlington and because of the private property they don’t needed to submit the development application.

A little extreme on the chicken front no? KFC and Daves hot chicken within a 2 minutes walk. Ive always thought there was way too much commercial in the area. Half of the lot where Rona/Lowes isn't even built up yet. Would have been nice to see a mid rise here. Not a fan of Chickfila and their executives views.

A little extreme on the chicken front no? KFC and Daves hot chicken within a 2 minutes walk. Ive always thought there was way too much commercial in the area. Half of the lot where Rona/Lowes isn't even built up yet. Would have been nice to see a mid rise here. Not a fan of Chickfila and their executives views.

Squints........... is that you.......

We need to see you post more often!

KFC, Dave's Hot Chicken, Church's Texas Chicken, Mary Brown's Chicken, Wings Up! all around Appleby and Dundas, and a Popeyes down at Appleby and Ironstone.

Chick-fil-A is not getting the traction they were hoping to get in Canada partially because of the views of the executives as you mentioned, but also because the chicken market is oversaturated and it's by far the most expensive, even if it is really good.

Back