There were complaints here and elsewhere about the type of tree pit covers they installed on the Jarvis St side of the Market last year. (They had 'trip-hazard 'collars'.) Today they have removed the tree-pit 'lids' so they MAY be trying to do better!

I wonder if that is funded out of the rather rich tree replacement program the Councillor wished to pursue.

Reactions: DSC
I do not find the grey that bad. 15 March.

IMG_8741.jpeg

IMG_8742.jpeg

St. Patrick’s Day 2020 just for some context:
CIBC Phase 1 topped out but not fully clad.
CIBC Phase 2 probably on the chopping block.
Pinnacle Phase 1 was at the 4th level.
Sugar Wharf Phase 1 was at the 3rd level.
The North Market was almost fully excavated.
IMG_6045.jpeg

Fast Forward 4 years later to March 2024
CIBC Phase 1 is 100% complete and 55 floors fully occupied,
CIBC Phase 2 is over 40 floors high
Pinnacle Phase 1 100% complete, 65 floors, almost fully occupied
Sugar Wharf Phase 1 tower 1&2 100% complete, 70 & 68 floors and probably fully occupied
The North Market 95% complete? 5 floors!
Whatttt happppppened?
Covid, resources, materials, green roof, round roof, open concept, cladding, paint colours????
Not including time for the archaeology excavation, bankrupt contractor, government approvals, re-tender, planing, design competition, public consultation, etc.etc. etc.

IMG_6049.jpeg

IMG_6048.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

IMG_6046.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, the grey is 'not that bad' but it is NOT what the architect intended and was changed, as far as we know, by some City bureaucrat though the 'splashes of colour' are signature touches by the (competition-winning) architect.
If red paint indeed costs more than grey paint, I'm sure a bunch of us here at UT (including me) would be willing to donate $$$ to make up the difference. And if it was possible (sadly not), I would also contribute $$$ to make sure the bureaucrat who decided to change it to grey is fired without pension!

...say vents should be the same colour that is already present on the structure; why red?
The architect apparently selected RED VENTS (and that fits with his use of colour 'splashes' on many of his projects) and that is the design/colour that won the international competition. The point that some of us are making is not really about the colour, it is about why/how some City bureaucucrat changed this.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a stunning blue on those columns, I would love to see more of that around the city. It works with the orange as well, imho (humble opinion). But will the concrete not be painted as well?

Back