Okay back to more exciting stuff.

They are setting up for the antique market on Sunday. 😊
View attachment 549859

Green roof still green.
View attachment 549858
I think the banners only say Antique Market Sunday NOT that it will happen in the (new) North Market. I bet there will be (maybe) signs with arrows pointing to the tent! Their own website still says "Tent":

Sunday Variety Market & The New Antique Market​

125 The Esplanade, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1M6, Canada

...hope they host the Antiques Roadshow when they open. Although, the rate they're going about it, we maybe all antiques by then! >.<

Okay back to more exciting stuff.

They are setting up for the antique market on Sunday. 😊
View attachment 549859

Green roof still green.
View attachment 549858

Another shot of the green roof from Commerce Court this morning.

1711042874807.png

At least those hideous vents were relocated. Check the concept drawing.. they were originally placed on the corner of Front and Jarvis.
My feelings are the complete opposite, I’d much rather clutter up the Jarvis side than the market lane park. Jarvis is just a funnel to/from the Gardiner, very uninviting for travellers outside of cars.

I live a stones throw away and always use alternate routes instead of walking on Jarvis, not just because that west sidewalk has been closed.

I walked through Market Lane on the weekend and took as close a look as I could at the inside space. It looks absolutely cavernous, and with those huge garage doors that can open into the lane, should be beautiful for the market on nice days.

Jarvis is just a funnel to/from the Gardiner, very uninviting for travellers outside of cars.
I often call it the Rosedale Expressway due to the speed cars drive on it.

That said, I’ve seen more police pulling speeders over of late. But I see cars doing 70-80 through the block from Wellesley to Carleton, where there are a whopping *five* schools in spitting distance.

I often call it the Rosedale Expressway due to the speed cars drive on it.

That said, I’ve seen more police pulling speeders over of late. But I see cars doing 70-80 through the block from Wellesley to Carleton, where there are a whopping *five* schools in spitting distance.

A complete reconfiguration of Jarvis (with at least 2 fewer vehicle lanes, and I would argue for 3 fewer where there are 5 today, is needed.

But it is a very large project that needs to incorporate Mt. Pleasant.

In order to remove the lanes on Jarvis, you need to cut the traffic that feeds into them.

Mt. Pleasant needs to go from 4 lanes to 2 + cycle tracks (and/or a multi-use path on one side and sidewalk on the other)

That can be sold to the Rosedale set with elegant streetscaping, and enhanced access to the Vale of Avoca/Park Drive Reservation parklands.

To me the order of operations is thus:

Go back and make the pedestrian friendly changes first, eliminating the centre lane on Jarvis in favour of wider sidewalks and streetscaping.

Then do the Mt. Pleasant bit.

Then cut Jarvis from 4 lanes to 2 w/cycle tracks.

The whole thing will cost tens of millions and take at least 5 years to complete, but it's a worthwhile idea in my estimation.

Last edited:
A complete reconfiguration of Jarvis (with at least 2 fewer vehicle lanes, and I would argue for 3 fewer where there are 5 today, is needed.

But is a very large project that needs to incorporate Mt. Pleasant.

In order to the lanes on Jarvis, you need to cut the traffic that feeds into them.

Mt. Pleasant needs to go from 4 lanes to 2 + cycle tracks (and/or a multi-use path on one side and sidewalk on the other)

That can be sold to the Rosedale set with elegant streetscaping, and enhanced access to the Vale of Avoca/Park Drive Reservation parklands.

Go back and make the pedestrian friendly changes first, eliminating the centre lane on Jarvis in favour of wider sidewalks and streetscaping.

The whole thing will cost tens of millions and take at least 5 years to complete, but it's a worthwhile idea in my estimation.
You may remember, we had some of this pre-Rob Ford.

You may remember, we had some of this pre-Rob Ford.

Yes, and we did it the wrong order, over my objections.

The first move was physically relocating the curbs, the project was funded and set to go ahead and that was spiked by cycling activists, many of whom I still count as friends. I told them they were wrong, the political climate wasn't right and the changes they wanted could be easily undone; where moving the curbs was much more expensive and time consuming.

Oops.

But is a very large project that needs to incorporate Mt. Pleasant.

In order to the lanes on Jarvis, you need to cut the traffic that feeds into them.

The whole thing will cost tens of millions and take at least 5 years to complete, but its a worthwhile idea in my estimation.
Q - in your opinion, is there a single road in the entire City of Toronto which justifies 4-lanes? I feel like every time you comment on any road it's always "single traffic lane" for literally every single road.

I could see a rationalization of dropping Jarvis to 4 through lanes, particularly if centre turn lanes remain at key intersections, but anything less than that is going to cause problems particularly south of Queen St where it's a primary feeder for the Gardiner.

Reactions: DSC

Back