News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

According to Google, Barrie Transit buses are fitted with a warp-speed feature that enables them to get from the Downtown Bus Station to Allendale Station in 2 minutes, so any transit investments would need to take this into account.
1710175330254.png

60 frickin' years ago we could take a train to the (dramatically less developed) ski hills in Collingwood, yet today we can't, despite demand several orders of magnitude higher.

We've gone backwards.
We definitely have. The whole Collingwood ski area owes it's birth to this train according to this article I first read two years ago: https://onthebaymagazine.com/ski-train/

If you feel like weeping, there's also a time lapse out there somewhere showing a map of all the train lines in Canada as they disappeared.

Last edited:
We definitely have. The whole Collingwood ski area owes it's birth to this train according to this article I first read two years ago: https://onthebaymagazine.com/ski-train/

If you feel like weeping, there's also a time lapse out there somewhere showing a map of all the train lines in Canada as they disappeared.
via.png

This one?

God, that’s a terrible map that gets a lot of things wrong.
No kidding. There was certainly no passenger service between TBay and Sioux Lookout (CN Graham sub) and it appears there used to be lines running between Havelock and Capreol and Havelock and North Bay. Who knew!

No kidding. There was certainly no passenger service between TBay and Sioux Lookout (CN Graham sub) and it appears there used to be lines running between Havelock and Capreol and Havelock and North Bay. Who knew!

There was a track that ran twice a week between Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout. But Havelock? It only had the RDC to Peterborough and Toronto.

Here’s a better map:

God, that’s a terrible map that gets a lot of things wrong.
It isn't a horrible map. It doesn't have everything, but it points out what service did exist It may not be all inclusive, but it does show some stuff at a glance.

There was a track that ran twice a week between Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout. But Havelock? It only had the RDC to Peterborough and Toronto.

Here’s a better map:

Thanks. I must have missed that when I was living there during that period.

Let me bring the pic forward for the preview deprived and click averse.

View attachment 549860

Would benefit from one of our photo pros touching up the lighting a bit.
Unfortunately its just a terrible scan. Theres things that can be done, but nothings better than scanning the photo properly in the first place. Sad that a lot of these sorts of museums are run with people who are good intentioned and often working volunteer, but havent the slightest clue of how to use technology properly.

Back