From today...as the snow comes down:)

20240322_101044.jpg
20240322_102047.jpg
20240322_124006.jpg
20240322_135614.jpg
20240322_150435.jpg

Photos taken today, Friday (Mar. 22), as the snow came down! So the shots here are kinda... hazy! A fair bit of progress since I posted last Friday. The blue forms on top have moved up a level and are on 56 / 57 for the core, I believe. Level 57 is a milestone floor, the first level of the third mechanical level. Further down, as BloorMan posted this past weekend, the 5th set of corner hangers have been installed. And the Rail Climbing Systems (RCSs) have progressed, with the north RCS joining the east RCS installing level 19, the first floor above the first mechanical level. Meanwhile, the west RCS is up to level 18 or so. The shape of the notched building now revealing itself. Visible on the south side are more windows installed to the right of the crane. Last week, 19 and 20 were done, with some windows in on 21. Now, 21 is done and 22 has most of the windows in place. And barely visible are windows under the east RCS installed on 19, 20 (as was last week), and now 21 as well.

Another possible milestone, as some new scaffolding installed on the Bloor Street sidewalk, presumable for consumer access to the tower, perhaps presaging some activity on the ground floor retail level? (Visible in the first image here.)

Starting with this week's addition to the Flickr "time-lapse" album of mine, followed by views from the south, showing more windows there on the south face, followed by the view from by Holt Renfrew on Bloor, west of Yonge, then views from Cumberland east of Bay including the raised RCSs and the new set of hangers. Views from Yonge Street just north of Bloor, and from Bloor just east of Yonge, and finally from the west, Bedford and Bloor.

UTIMG_9702.jpg
UTIMG_9926.jpg
UTIMG_9822.jpg
UTIMG_9790.jpg
UTIMG_9555.jpg
UTIMG_9590.jpg
UTIMG_9613.jpg
UTIMG_9637.jpg
UTIMG_9670.jpg
UTIMG_9732.jpg
UTIMG_9473.jpg

Wow... what tangled web was woven.

My selfish skyscraper geek brain was most disappointed that it appears The One will indeed be capped at its original 85 storey height. :(

What a mess. We are very lucky we didn't end up with The Stump 2.0 here.

Meanwhile, from the posted article...

"Most of the sources contacted by the Star for this story believe The One will be completed within the next two years, albeit with modifications to Mizrahi's plan, including capping the number of levels at 85."

...looks like there will indeed be a height and floor count change @Paclo, @interchange42.

306m is a huge height chop and isnt very impressive considering the quality downgrade that will result from Skygrid VE. It wont appear any higher than FCP and lacks the volume/robustness.

It'll just read like just another condo. Closer in height and quality to Aura than John Hancock in Chicago.

I'd rather have had a 240m-280m RAMSA like originally planned when Mizrahi first acquired the site

Out of principle , I think I'll bow out from following this closely.

Wouldnt suprise me if Skygrid also scraps the spot lighting on the beams. It sounds like their general contractor will be ruthless. Expect tacky bright LED strip lighting that dosent flatter the beams

Last edited:
306m is a huge height chop and isnt very impressive considering the quality downgrade that will result from Skygrid VE. It wont appear any higher than FCP and lacks the volume/robustness.

It'll just read like just another condo. Closer in height and quality to Aura than John Hancock in Chicago.

I'd rather have had a 240m-280m RAMSA like originally planned when Mizrahi first acquired the site

Out of principle , I think I'll bow out from following this closely.

Wouldnt suprise me if Skygrid also scraps the spot lighting on the beams. It sounds like their general contractor will be ruthless. Expect tacky bright LED strip lighting that dosent flatter the beams
The General Contractor (Skygrid) is not the one that makes the decisions, those decisions will be made by whomever lands up being the owner of the project. The GC is getting paid to manage the project not being paid to make decisions on what gets removed or added to the project, they will take direction from the owners.

The General Contractor (Skygrid) is not the one that makes the decisions, those decisions will be made by whomever lands up being the owner of the project. The GC is getting paid to manage the project not being paid to make decisions on what gets removed or added to the project, they will take direction from the owners.
I was under the impression the decision cap at the stubby height is ultimately up to the owner, while the Skygrid general contractor could VE bait and switch to "premium window wall" and other slap-dash finishes.

I was under the impression the decision cap at the stubby height is ultimately up to the owner, while the Skygrid general contractor could VE bait and switch to "premium window wall" and other slap-dash finishes.
All of the cladding is already paid for and sitting in a warehouse, if the new owners ask for areas where savings can be had that would be on interior finishes not on the exterior. Skygrid for the moment is working on a 90 day management fee contract as the receiver has put the building up for sale. It will be up to the new owners if they want Skygrid to continue or if they will have someone new running the project. The new owners can also apply to the city to shrink the size of the units so that they create more units to sell.

All of the cladding is already paid for and sitting in a warehouse, if the new owners ask for areas where savings can be had that would be on interior finishes not on the exterior. Skygrid for the moment is working on a 90 day management fee contract as the receiver has put the building up for sale. It will be up to the new owners if they want Skygrid to continue or if they will have someone new running the project. The new owners can also apply to the city to shrink the size of the units so that they create more units to sell.
Id imagine it'd be a legal headache to downgrade the interiors of the actual condo units, especially the ones paid for in cash. It'd result in a lot of lawsuits.

However, I could definetly see the common areas, unsold units, hotel and commercial substantially downgraded to Aura at College Park type quality.

You make it sound like they cutting the tower all the way back to the first mechanical by saying that. So let's be clear, and say there is nothing stubby about 306 meters, lol. No, it's not 328 meters...but it's still a supertall that will dwarf anything that's being and been built around it.

Back