I defer to your experience as mine is second hand. I had in mind the City Hall and other public buildings when I wrote that but they may be it. However I still feel that this institute will be a great opportunity to provide a venue to allow like minded folks a chance to rub shoulders! You should offer your services to the Silos to put together a series of images of Northern Irish architecture to be projected on the walls!

BTW I have a question that you might be able to answer. I have heard through family lore that there was an unwritten agreement between the London and the IRA that if the government didn't use historic public buildings for military or police use that they wouldn't be bombed. Is this true?

A quick and sincere thanks for the recent and much too generous feedback. This has been a passion project for several years, and to know the work is appreciated by the UT community means a tremendous amount.

Sharing a few update photos. Another big concrete pour for the park coming up after the long weekend. And the balance of the signage on the north silo’s east facade will be visible by Thursday.

IMG_01831.jpeg
D112C100-AC3E-4E38-BB0F-112BF2E8AD94.jpeg
IMG_0192.jpeg

For those that can't access this it just announces that the Irish government has given $2m to the Corleck Centre to the west of the Silos. I can't wait to take courses on Georgian Dublin and Modernist Buildings in Irish Cities after the War. And as descendent of North Irish immigrants at the turn of the last century I hope (and may fundraise) for a small selection on the architecture of Northern Ireland, especially Belfast which has one of the world's largest collection of intact Georgian structures in the world!

Including the Federal GIBC funding announcement this was nearly $7M in new funding for the Corleck, which the Canada Ireland Foundation has been working to secure over the last 2 years. A huge milestone for this project which is sure to become a busy four-season anchor in the heart of the new park opening this Fall.

The City (as building owner) is also a major funder with approximately $5M committed from CREM for base building and accessibility upgrades, and also Section 37 funds.

Stunning restoration. Honestly, this has surpassed any and all expectations. 👏👏👏👏
View attachment 552382

Thank you. Our whole silo team (City of Toronto; Moon-Matz Engineering; Brook Restoration; ERA Architects; Best Painting) is really proud of these results. And we’re just getting started! 😄

New architectural lighting is being installed and commissioned with the adjoining new park, Bathurst Quay Common, opening this Fall. The picture below (credit: Jonathan Gazze) is from an early site test in October 2021. The silo/park lighting designer is Ombrages (as subs to the park LA, PFS Studio), who also co-led the lighting design for Montreal’s Jacques Cartier bridge.

IMG_0505.jpeg

Alright, I'll admit there was a time when I couldn't wait for these silos to be pulled down, but man...they do look spectacular! The curiosity factor alone will be a huge draw for a revitalised Bathurst Quay. I can even see them competing with the CN Tower, Skydome and TD Terrace for best-illuminated downtown structure. That sound you hear is me eating my words!

Back