News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

...it's pretty alarming that the peeps feeding and maintaining them have all been given the pink slips though. So it's something I had to ask for the said animals' well being. And to say, I'm not sure how that transition works under mass layoff conditions.
It's a good question to ask but the source of "being laid off" is a single link. I can imagine there are a lot of staff who were not directly connected to the care and feeding of the animals and who could probably be laid off right away. Many may be seasonal or contract workers anyway.

...at the end of the day, it's horrific for those who are going to be without a job...as well as, the uncertainty for the animals that where cared for here.

Although, the writing has been on the wall for this to happen for a long time now. The only surprise here is that it took this long for the plug to be pulled. /bleh

They've come out with a denial, saying this is just a rumour.

That may well be the case, Phil wrongly called their closure in 2022.

That said, there is zero question the park and its real estate have been on the block, that I know for sure.

I know at least some of the players that had a look.

But until this post by Phil, I hadn't heard anything recently (which doesn't mean much, as its not the sorta deal I would normally hear about).

It’s time it happened though.This park in its present format are well overdue to be closed.

Zero Question.

Putting to one side (for now) the serious and disturbing animal welfare issues, simply as a business, the park hasn't been properly invested in for a generation.

Its an aging, under-sized facility that is not competitive w/Canada's Wonderland or Darien Lake on the other side of the border. Time to put it out to pasture.

Ideally save the forested bits as parkland; the rest is negotiable.

If a theme park operator with resources wanted to invest in it, great, if not, time to look at other uses.

That may well be the case, Phil wrongly called their closure in 2022.

That said, there is zero question the park and its real estate have been on the block, that I know for sure.

I know at least some of the players that had a look.

But until this post by Phil, I hadn't heard anything recently (which doesn't mean much, as its not the sorta deal I would normally hear about).

Zero Question.

Putting to one side (for now) the serious and disturbing animal welfare issues, simply as a business, the park hasn't been properly invested in for a generation.

Its an aging, under-sized facility that is not competitive w/Canada's Wonderland or Darien Lake on the other side of the border. Time to put it out to pasture.

Ideally save the forested bits as parkland; the rest is negotiable.

If a theme park operator with resources wanted to invest in it, great, if not, time to look at other uses.
Just think of how many more 70-storey towers could be proposed here that will never be built!

I'd argue that the best use of the land is to assemble everything bound by the QEW and Hwy 47 (and relocate the industrial) into a provincial park to provide tourists some of the representative Canadian nature that they expect when they cross the border. At the very least, it would be step towards diluting the total disrespect that the falls have been subjected to.

Or we could build a giant video sphere!!!

More seriously and unfortunately, these headlines feel like they never end:
https://www.cp24.com/news/two-more-...total-whale-deaths-to-17-since-2019-1.6822625
Yeah, this....is just heartbreaking. Shame on the owners of this park. I've been looking forward to the day this place would shutter for well over a decade, marine animals especially do not do well in captivity, especially larger animals. They need space to move around. That being said, I haven't been here in many years, so I don't recall how big the property is, but based on what I hear, I'm very curious how this land could be used later on. I think, based again on what I have heard from this thread, that more park space would be a great idea.

Yeah, this....is just heartbreaking. Shame on the owners of this park. I've been looking forward to the day this place would shutter for well over a decade, marine animals especially do not do well in captivity, especially larger animals. They need space to move around. That being said, I haven't been here in many years, so I don't recall how big the property is, but based on what I hear, I'm very curious how this land could be used later on. I think, based again on what I have heard from this thread, that more park space would be a great idea.
Also shame on successive Ontario governments who have failed to pass comprehensive legislation regulating zoo and other animal captivity operations.

I'd argue that the best use of the land is to assemble everything bound by the QEW and Hwy 47 (and relocate the industrial) into a provincial park to provide tourists some of the representative Canadian nature that they expect when they cross the border. At the very least, it would be step towards diluting the total disrespect that the falls have been subjected to.

I like the idea, though, the Marineland property itself isn't all that large, it would be something like a 1/3 of the space I've outlined below:

1711475326119.png

I assume the Welland River as a border here, and that Marineland, any overtly natural area, golf courses, and small isolated industry was fair game; I excluded larger industrial and residential patches of development.

That gets you just over 6.5km2 or about 650 hectares/ 1,600 acres and change.

Now....if you were feeling more ambitious, and wanted farmers and developers to get right ticked off at ya.........we could be draw the lines along similar principles, following the Welland river for a bit and then creating a full connection to Short Hills Provincial Park and Niagara Escarpment:

1711475790938.png

That gets you about 6,100ha or 15,000acres of land.

That's just a smidge larger than Rouge Park in Toronto.

Last edited:
View attachment 551321

I assume the Welland River as a border here, and that Marineland, any overtly natural area, golf courses, and small isolated industry was fair game; I excluded larger industrial and residential patches of development.

I figured Hwy 47 would be the southern border. A lot of it is forested anyway. A (relatively) central wild area would add to Niagara's tourism package. You could even extend the start of the Bruce Trail down to there. I would retain the golf courses and relocate the industry (a lot of it is really light).

Last edited:
I like the idea, though, the Marineland property itself isn't all that large, it would be something like a 1/3 of the space I've outlined below:

View attachment 551321

That gets you just over 6.5km2 or about 650 hectares/ 1,600 acres and change.

Now....if you were feeling more ambitious, and wanted farmers and developers to get right ticked off at ya.........we could be draw the lines along similar principles, following the Welland river for a bit and then creating a full connection to Short Hills Provincial Park and Niagara Escarpment:

View attachment 551324

That gets you about 6,100ha or 15,000acres of land.

That's just a smidge larger than Rouge Park in Toronto.
This makes a lot of sense, incorporates parts of the Bruce Trail (another long escarpment park just waiting to happen), and provides Ontarians with another Urban Park. However, I will argue that farmland can be part of a parks system, a farmland trust if you like, protecting certain classes of farmland for a variety of uses (including local farm to table initiatives) and allowing greater access through the farmlands to the public for a number of uses (which I grant is not full access, but with imagination, could be unique enhanced access) which off the top of my head could include a variety of trail access, wood lot camping, micro farming for individuals etc etc

Back