Shake Shack holding a Job Fair next week at the Carriageway.

Shake Shack's coming...

Who is the head lessee of retail at Union again....... ;)

Oh that's right, the partners in Shake Shack Canada.

Edit to add: * that said, this job fair is not for a Union Station location; its for Yonge/Dundas.

Last edited:
So is this a job fair for their Yonge & Dundas location or are they actually opening a Union Station location as well?

So is this a job fair for their Yonge & Dundas location or are they actually opening a Union Station location as well?

This is for the Yonge/Dundas location; though the job fair has been delayed.

Took the go train back from Hamilton after eclipse watching. Along with Leafs fans and the Jays home opener. The crowding at union was pretty bad, at least on the platforms.

We made the mistake of taking a taxi back from union to our apartment. First we got hassled about the short trip. Then we got hassled about whether we could pay cash. Then we got hassled when I asked him to turn on the meter. Then we got hassled when he thought I’d just hand up my credit card to the front seat without him showing me what he’d punched into the machine.

No wonder people take Ubers. That’s probably the last time I’ll take a taxi in Toronto.

Took the go train back from Hamilton after eclipse watching. Along with Leafs fans and the Jays home opener. The crowding at union was pretty bad, at least on the platforms.

We made the mistake of taking a taxi back from union to our apartment. First we got hassled about the short trip. Then we got hassled about whether we could pay cash. Then we got hassled when I asked him to turn on the meter. Then we got hassled when he thought I’d just hand up my credit card to the front seat without him showing me what he’d punched into the machine.

No wonder people take Ubers. That’s probably the last time I’ll take a taxi in Toronto.
Wonder how things will be with the cap of rideshare cars

Also semi unrelated maybe I'm doing downtown wrong but it's basically never occurred to me to visit any of the union station retail

Wonder how things will be with the cap of rideshare cars

Also semi unrelated maybe I'm doing downtown wrong but it's basically never occurred to me to visit any of the union station retail
Though there is some quite decent retail/food service at Union now, the 'amenities' are there primarily to serve the hordes who use Union every day as a transit hub not to make Union a
magnet location' / 'destination'.

Reactions: max
Though there is some quite decent retail/food service at Union now, the 'amenities' are there primarily to serve the hordes who use Union every day as a transit hub not to make Union a
magnet location' / 'destination'.

To be fair, the horde is what first and foremost a train station should serve.

I was there last Friday and the amount of noise - combined with the music - in the food court is borderline off-putting. The whole lower concourse is an odd mix at the moment.

AoD

We made the mistake of taking a taxi back from union to our apartment. First we got hassled about the short trip. Then we got hassled about whether we could pay cash. Then we got hassled when I asked him to turn on the meter. Then we got hassled when he thought I’d just hand up my credit card to the front seat without him showing me what he’d punched into the machine. No wonder people take Ubers. That’s probably the last time I’ll take a taxi in Toronto.
I'm amazed that anyone takes a taxi in Toronto anymore. The idea of an undetermined, fixed price to get me somewhere and then having to use a physical credit card to pay seems ridiculously outdated. And it's not as if the taxi driver is anymore qualified or safe that the Uber driver, in fact the latter is known to the app whereas the taxi driver can be just about anybody the car or plate owner has loaned the car to. You can see the collapse in the resale value of Toronto plates after they lost their 2019 lawsuit, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/lawsuit-taxi-toronto-uber-1.5408947 , $7.5k when they used to sell for hundreds of thousands https://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-toronto-area/taxi-plate-for-sale/k0l1700272.

Whenever I arrive at Union I call an Uber, and if it's too crowded so that the driver will be stuck getting in or out of the train station parking outfront, I'll walk up a block and call one from there. Union definitely needs a better pick-up and drop-off set-up.

Last edited:
According to the new wayfinding guideline document for the USEP project, which was released last summers, the new concourse under construction right now will be named the Bremner Concourse, not the South Concourse. Bremner makes a lot more sense in my opinion as it matches the names of all the other GO concourses:
Screenshot_2024-04-14_at_5.51.23_PM.png
Screenshot_2024-04-14_at_5.52.17_PM.png

According to the new wayfinding guideline document for the USEP project, which was released last summers, the new concourse under construction right now will be named the Bremner Concourse, not the South Concourse. Bremner makes a lot more sense in my opinion as it matches the names of all the other GO concourses:

That's temporary until MX sells the naming rights and it becomes the George Brown College Downtown Campus Bremner Concourse*

*wait here for hourly George Brown College Downtown Campus complimentary shuttle

Back